Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Cost for coolant hose replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2023 | 07:46 PM
ozziegt
Racer

Default Cost for coolant hose replacement

I had an unfortunate failure of a coolant hose on my 2015 Macan Turbo with 93k miles.
This is the part that failed: https://parts.byersporsche.com/p/530...610602660.html
The shop is quoting me $1500 to repair. They are saying the intake manifold has to come off so that means all the intake manifold seals have to be replaced as well. Sounds like a lot of labor. Does anyone know if this is reasonable? Is there a way to look up how many hours should be charged for such a repair?

Also, this is quoted as a "vent" line but the failure caused me to lose a lot of coolant and I had to pull over because of overheating. Coolant all over the top of the engine. Could this be the reason, or could it be something else? I guess the system is under pressure so a failure of any line could cause coolant to leak out...

Last edited by ozziegt; 01-03-2023 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-07-2023 | 04:28 PM
advrider1967
Advanced

Originally Posted by ozziegt
I had an unfortunate failure of a coolant hose on my 2015 Macan Turbo with 93k miles.
This is the part that failed: https://parts.byersporsche.com/p/530...610602660.html
The shop is quoting me $1500 to repair. They are saying the intake manifold has to come off so that means all the intake manifold seals have to be replaced as well. Sounds like a lot of labor. Does anyone know if this is reasonable? Is there a way to look up how many hours should be charged for such a repair?

Also, this is quoted as a "vent" line but the failure caused me to lose a lot of coolant and I had to pull over because of overheating. Coolant all over the top of the engine. Could this be the reason, or could it be something else? I guess the system is under pressure so a failure of any line could cause coolant to leak out...
The vent line is an incredibly common failure on a Macan V6 turbo. $90 part plus coolant and intake manifold seals if you really want to do it according to THE RULES. That said the intake gaskets can be reused in a pinch as they are silicone rings, but that isn't really kosher when you are a shop. I just did one today and it took me <2 hrs. Im not sure what the "Porsche time units" are to do that job, but Ive heard as high 4 hrs. If we assume a very high value of $300 is parts, leaving $1200, they must be charging $300/hr for labor. Local P dealer near me claims they do 1 or 2 a week (also no clue what they charge for it, but hey, its a P O R S C H E)
Old 01-08-2023 | 04:09 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

When out of warranty I would either DIY or use an independent shop.

contact your local Porsche club for recommended shops.
Old 01-17-2024 | 07:35 AM
JCaff1968
1st Gear

Unhappy

Originally Posted by ozziegt

My Cayenne GTS is at a Porsche dealership due to a "P0244 turbo wastegate solenoid failure/fault". The vehicle runs and drives, but the turbos are disabled, which is evident by no boost on the gauge. It was determined the cause of the problem is due to rodent feasting on the wiring. This repair required removal of the intake manifold. As a preventative, and since the intake manifold is already off the vehicle, the dealership is suggesting I also replace the coolant vent line. Estimate is $3200 for everything. I'm told that if I opt not to have the coolant vent line replaced at this time, I could reduce the bill by $400. Since the intake manifold is already off the vehicle so they can repair/replace the part with chewed wires there is some savings. It pains me to shell out this kind of cash over rodent damage, but my options are to spend $400 to replace the coolant vent line now or $1500 later, based on the quote you received to replace the coolant vent line. According to the dealership, the coolant vents are plastic and known to fail, and they replace these vents in Cayenne's and Macan's at the rate of about 2 or 3 a month.
Old 01-21-2024 | 12:18 AM
RennPart
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The hose is very common to break and is very fragile.

I did one on my 149k mile 2016 S last week.

The job took me about 6 hours total. $1500 sounds about right for a dealer. The hose is an inexpensive part as you can see.

--Aaron

Intake manifold removed- you can see one of the intake manifold gaskets stayed behind.

The hose fell apart in my hands- for this thing to last 149k miles is impressive, that is a ton of heat cycles.

The new part- hopefully good for a while!

rennpart.com | Phone: 336-793-2134 |Email: ace@rennpart.com

Instagram | Facebook
Old 01-22-2024 | 08:23 PM
critchie
Track Day

Originally Posted by JCaff1968
My Cayenne GTS is at a Porsche dealership due to a "P0244 turbo wastegate solenoid failure/fault". The vehicle runs and drives, but the turbos are disabled, which is evident by no boost on the gauge. It was determined the cause of the problem is due to rodent feasting on the wiring. This repair required removal of the intake manifold. As a preventative, and since the intake manifold is already off the vehicle, the dealership is suggesting I also replace the coolant vent line. Estimate is $3200 for everything. I'm told that if I opt not to have the coolant vent line replaced at this time, I could reduce the bill by $400. Since the intake manifold is already off the vehicle so they can repair/replace the part with chewed wires there is some savings. It pains me to shell out this kind of cash over rodent damage, but my options are to spend $400 to replace the coolant vent line now or $1500 later, based on the quote you received to replace the coolant vent line. According to the dealership, the coolant vents are plastic and known to fail, and they replace these vents in Cayenne's and Macan's at the rate of about 2 or 3 a month.
The "Comprehensive" coverage on your insurance policy should cover this.

Quick Reply: Cost for coolant hose replacement