Macan 2014-Current

BRAKE PADS with LESS DUST?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2022, 01:37 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,107 Likes on 596 Posts

Originally Posted by KNSBrakes
We have had luck with both Hawk Ceramic and Carbotech's 1521 ultra low dust compound. I will have to check with Carbotech to see if they have the backing plate in stock, but shoot us a message if interested.

Our experience with low dust brake pads has taught us that when you switch to a low dust brake pad you loose some braking performance.

--Aaron
Wonder if that is a bad thing. Our OEM brakes seem a little too grabby for us.
Old 12-19-2022, 01:50 PM
RandyL
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv
Wonder if that is a bad thing. Our OEM brakes seem a little too grabby for us.
I've noticed the grabbiness on OEM Porsche (and Audi) too. This is what I meant in my post above about "pedal feel and linear progression". My 981 Cayman, and now my Macan, both take too little effort just off the stop so that they are a bit hard to modulate in very light braking, but as you increase pedal pressure the braking force increases less and less with the increased force, in other words the friction progression is non-linear with the pedal effort. Both Hawk and Akebono solve that problem: not as touchy during very light pressure, but as you increase the pressure the friction increases at the same rate.

I think the gent that posted the comment about "giving up some brake effectiveness" means on the braking limit, not initial feel.
Old 12-19-2022, 10:44 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 152 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyL
I've noticed the grabbiness on OEM Porsche (and Audi) too. This is what I meant in my post above about "pedal feel and linear progression". My 981 Cayman, and now my Macan, both take too little effort just off the stop so that they are a bit hard to modulate in very light braking, but as you increase pedal pressure the braking force increases less and less with the increased force, in other words the friction progression is non-linear with the pedal effort. Both Hawk and Akebono solve that problem: not as touchy during very light pressure, but as you increase the pressure the friction increases at the same rate.

I think the gent that posted the comment about "giving up some brake effectiveness" means on the braking limit, not initial feel.
Is the grabiness only when it’s cold or all the time? The reason I ask is because fresh out of the garage they’re a little grabby. But by the time I’ve driven a few minutes it’s gone and is very linear.
Old 12-19-2022, 11:52 PM
RandyL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ///Bruce
Is the grabiness only when it’s cold or all the time? The reason I ask is because fresh out of the garage they’re a little grabby. But by the time I’ve driven a few minutes it’s gone and is very linear.
Though I haven't paid close attention to that my sense is that though they be just a bit more grabby when cold it is also an overall tendency. The bottom line though is that every time I've switched to either the Akebonos or the Hawk Ceramics I've been VERY glad I did, they're simply better in every way. I did a track day in my 981 after the switch and never had any brake fade either.
Old 12-21-2022, 10:33 AM
DaveT435
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nickshu
Hawk Performance Ceramic have worked well for me on other Porsches to reduce brake dust to near zero. Have not used on Macan b/c we optioned our 2022 with PSCB but if I hadn't it would be getting a set of these pads.
going with ceramic on other vehicles I’ve had an issue with squealing when first stating out, actually it was with ceramic/carbon fiber pads, no issues like that with the pads you’re referring to?
Old 12-21-2022, 08:18 PM
RandyL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DaveT435
going with ceramic on other vehicles I’ve had an issue with squealing when first stating out, actually it was with ceramic/carbon fiber pads, no issues like that with the pads you’re referring to?
None, dead quiet.
The following users liked this post:
DaveT435 (12-22-2022)
Old 12-22-2022, 01:29 PM
okkin
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Where to order these Hawks Performance Ceramic Pads for a 2021 Macan S in Arizona? Sounds like a great solution !

Old 12-22-2022, 01:46 PM
RandyL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by okkin
Where to order these Hawks Performance Ceramic Pads for a 2021 Macan S in Arizona? Sounds like a great solution !
I have a '15 S and cannot find a FRONT fitment. Don't know if your brakes are the same as mine but they might be. Therefore please let us know if you do find them and of course where, part numbers or a web link help the most. Good luck!!
Old 12-22-2022, 04:05 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 152 Likes on 119 Posts

My stupid question: have you looked at Hawk. The manufacturer? Hawkperformance.com? How bout Flat6?
Old 12-22-2022, 09:25 PM
DaveT435
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RandyL
I have a '15 S and cannot find a FRONT fitment. Don't know if your brakes are the same as mine but they might be. Therefore please let us know if you do find them and of course where, part numbers or a web link help the most. Good luck!!
Funny, all I can find is fronts…
https://www.autoanything.com/brakes/...SABEgKkVPD_BwE
Old 12-23-2022, 03:35 AM
catalinktn
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ate ceramic , pagid white
Old 12-23-2022, 05:27 AM
KNSBrakes
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 137 Likes on 84 Posts

I’ll look these up.

knsbrakes.com | Phone: 919-420-0021 | Email: sales@knsbrakes.com
DaveT435 (12-23-2022)
Old 12-24-2022, 05:34 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by KNSBrakes
We have had luck with both Hawk Ceramic and Carbotech's 1521 ultra low dust compound. I will have to check with Carbotech to see if they have the backing plate in stock, but shoot us a message if interested.

Our experience with low dust brake pads has taught us that when you switch to a low dust brake pad you loose some braking performance.

--Aaron
I went with Porterfield R4S on our ‘17 Macan GTS. Dust is considerably less than stock, but it’s not a low dust pad. But unlike most low dust pads, they have very good braking performance. Good cold bite, easy to modulate.
Old 12-24-2022, 05:48 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 999 Likes on 667 Posts

You will probably have to call Hawk to find the right pads. Their website listing is very poor, I don't see the rears listed and some years are omitted for no reason (same brakes). For my Panamera I had to do this. Tirerack was incorrect/incomplete as well. A call to Hawk got it all sorted out.
Need4S (01-07-2023)
Old 12-31-2022, 03:59 PM
BigChief480

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

A little bit off topic, but wondering if I could pick your brains here. I picked up a 2017 GTS as a new DD to keep the miles off my ST turbo. The stock brake performance is a little underwhelming (after intake/AWE exhaust/Cobb stage 2 tune) I was hoping that a set of Hawk pads would remedy this. Everything says I need the turbo pads for the front, but do I order the regular Macan pads for rear? I hate to order and return just to find out so I figured someone else had already made this mistake.

Quick Reply: BRAKE PADS with LESS DUST?