Macan 2014-Current

Cross shop Genesis GV 70?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2022, 01:32 PM
weston98
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cross shop Genesis GV 70?

Has anyone cross shopped Genesis GV70 3.5T vs Macan S?
Impressions?
Old 12-05-2022, 04:56 PM
offagain
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Not sure there is much overlap in my view. I have seen quite a few GV70's on the road and I thought they were bigger, but just checked online and they are virtually the same size! Didnt realize that. Just checked their website and its pretty clear that Genesis are aiming at the Macan, but not sure its the other way around. The Genesis is likely to be a good car to drive, but not sure its quite as sharp as the Macan though. Plenty reviews I have seen have commented that the Macan handles significantly better than it deserves to, while the Genesis is more on the luxury side. Depends on what you are looking for, but the Macan is going to be the more focused drive while the Genesis more luxury focused. Just my opinions of course.
The following users liked this post:
weston98 (12-06-2022)
Old 12-05-2022, 07:08 PM
jobunaga
Advanced

Received 60 Likes on 29 Posts

I drove a GV70 as a Turo rental recently and was impressed with its build quality, inside and out. It's easily on par with the Macan in terms of luxury and fit/finish.

Acceleration in the GV70 isn't nearly as smooth as the Macan but I can't say that V6 GV70 is actually any slower than the Macan S. I don't particularly like that it's laggy and then BOOM.

I didn't really push it handling wise, but the GV70 seems competent enough at normal speeds.

That said... I would never consider one because I absolutely hate the shifter. I'd prefer a steering column stalk over the dial on the GV70.
The following users liked this post:
weston98 (12-06-2022)
Old 12-10-2022, 12:53 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

A bit late to this thread, but my experience may help with the shopping decision. FWIW, we have a 2018 Macan Sport Edition that sits beside my 911 in the garage. The Macan is a great car, and we are very happy with it. I bought a Genesis G70 (sedan) in July 2020. It was gone 8 months later. Frankly, the car was ok, but it was hard to hide the Hyundai under the Genesis paint and interior. That being said, the experience was the worst car purchase and ownership experience ever. You will likely need to buy your Genesis at a ratty Hyundai dealer, where the personnel don't understand the high end buyer. They don't understand transparency in the transaction, and worse, the service personnel do not care about the Genesis customer. Unless it is a dedicated Genesis dealer, look elsewhere. If you see a Hyundai, run.
Old 12-11-2022, 12:09 PM
weston98
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. Interesting perspective re: the dealership experience that I hadn't considered.

Quick Reply: Cross shop Genesis GV 70?