Macan 2014-Current

Garage Door Opener ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2022, 01:10 PM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 144 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Garage Door Opener ??

OK what's the "Secret Code" for getting the GDO to work...
I've tried 3 times to follow the instructions in the manual and 2 times Youtube...no luck ??
Old 08-27-2022, 02:48 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,125 Likes on 1,462 Posts

On all Porsche models, you must follow the directions exactly in the owner's manual. I have three newer Porsches, they all were a pain to program. My Ford pickup truck is simple by comparison.

You must have your car close to the door. You have to have access to your memory learning button on the garage door opener. Position a stepladder to it before you begin

Clear the codes in the car unit. Follow the instructions exactly. Some models you have to take your handheld transmitter from the garage door opener to the front of the car and press the buttons, others you do it inside the car. Then when it starts flashing, you have a minute to get to your memory button on the door unit itself, press it, and get back in the vehicle and press the overhead switch.

That's the basic sequence.
The following users liked this post:
supercup (10-01-2022)
Old 08-27-2022, 03:00 PM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by drcollie
On all Porsche models, you must follow the directions exactly in the owner's manual. I have three newer Porsches, they all were a pain to program. My Ford pickup truck is simple by comparison.

You must have your car close to the door. You have to have access to your memory learning button on the garage door opener. Position a stepladder to it before you begin

Clear the codes in the car unit. Follow the instructions exactly. Some models you have to take your handheld transmitter from the garage door opener to the front of the car and press the buttons, others you do it inside the car. Then when it starts flashing, you have a minute to get to your memory button on the door unit itself, press it, and get back in the vehicle and press the overhead switch.

I'm sure i did that a few times...guess you just have to KEEP trying...Oh and you are right the M/B was simple.......PORSCHE has a "better way"

Last edited by dak911; 08-27-2022 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-27-2022, 04:32 PM
Rogue One
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie

And that’s where the instructions can get confusing, because when I programmed mine did not need do anything with the opener. (Like a memory button), itself, just the handheld transmitter.

OP: maybe try a different transmitter, if you have more than one? Here is the link I followed, step-by-step and worked for me:
Old 08-27-2022, 07:58 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Make sure your hand held remote has fresh battery - it's that sensitive. and hold the remote very close to the designated spot on the from bumper area. As already mentioned, follow instructions explicitly and it will work.
Old 08-28-2022, 09:43 AM
mvmojo
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts

I don't recall any trouble programming mine for both the garage door and the entry gate to my subdivision. BUT... the transmitter in the Macan seems to be emit a very low power signal. I have to be within about 3' of the entry gate antenna for it to receive the signal (vs. a tiny handheld remote working from 8-10' away) and have to be right in front of my driveway for the garage door to open. By contrast, my Toyota 4Runner will open the garage door from 3 houses away.
Old 08-28-2022, 09:57 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mvmojo
I don't recall any trouble programming mine for both the garage door and the entry gate to my subdivision. BUT... the transmitter in the Macan seems to be emit a very low power signal. I have to be within about 3' of the entry gate antenna for it to receive the signal (vs. a tiny handheld remote working from 8-10' away) and have to be right in front of my driveway for the garage door to open. By contrast, my Toyota 4Runner will open the garage door from 3 houses away.
Range might be more a function of receiver location - mine is not quite as bad as yours but gate opener for me is about 4 car lengths while garage is reduced to about 3 - both long enough to have either gate or GD open by the time I'm ready to enter.
Old 08-28-2022, 11:12 AM
mvmojo
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Range might be more a function of receiver location - mine is not quite as bad as yours but gate opener for me is about 4 car lengths while garage is reduced to about 3 - both long enough to have either gate or GD open by the time I'm ready to enter.
Thanks for the feedback but I don't think that's the issue. The gate receiver antenna is mounted on the keypad pedestal at hood height. The community issued small "clickers" work fine with it from 8-10' away but for the Porsche HomeLink to work I have to pull over to within a couple feet of the pedestal. Garage door receiver antenna is mounted in the motor unit in the center of the garage. It activates maybe 40' away. The Macan must be in front of my driveway for it to work. I have to pull into the driveway and wait on the door to open. I wouldn't think too much about this other than in my Toyota I can hit the button 150+' away and the door is fully open by the time I start my turn into the driveway. Since I believe all the HomeLink units are the same, I'm gonna go with poor antenna location on the Macan, maybe too low to the ground, or shielded by other car components. Have not looked into whether it can be extended or relocated, maybe a project for another day.
Old 08-28-2022, 12:00 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,007 Likes on 574 Posts

Buy the my Q garage opener from Amazon for 29 dollars and then you can open the door from your phone
forget about pairing your car
setting the my Q app is a breeze
Old 08-28-2022, 02:45 PM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

I had been using the remote clipped to the visor, it opens the door from about 100 feet away, BUT it is NOT A GOOD IDEA to have that in the car, ANYONE can open your garage...whereas the "linked"
opener does not work without the key on....IIRC
Old 08-28-2022, 04:32 PM
GZ Boxster
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Getting our 2020 Macan to recognize the garage door openers was pretty miserable. It also has lost the homelink codes at least 3 times in our 19 months of owning. It also has a very short operating distance compared to my 2020 Chevy Silverado and our 2013 Boxster. The truck will open the community gates from 200”+, Boxster from 50-75’. The Macan has to be within 20-25’ of the antennae. Our driveway is 125’, Macan has to be in the drive pointed at the garage to open (Chamberlain MyQ). The other two will open from the street.
Old 08-28-2022, 11:29 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 274 Likes on 182 Posts

I had to use the “learn” feature on the garage door opener, as mentioned by a post above to get it to work. This has been my experience with every VAG vehicle that I’ve owned. VAG needs to get with the times and do a better job. MB, BMW, and Japanese cars are so much easier.

Last edited by luv2sleep; 08-29-2022 at 02:09 AM.
Old 08-29-2022, 02:05 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 857 Likes on 526 Posts

You likely have a rolling code opener like most people with openers made within the last 15 years. You have to combine the steps in the owners manual with the steps in your garage opener's manual. The Homelink in the car has to learn the remote and your opener has to learn to accept the new remote as well.
The following users liked this post:
jjhasluck (09-27-2022)
Old 09-26-2022, 05:42 PM
pegdrag
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Setting Rolling code into Macan

So....
First, clear codes from car (hold 1 and 3 buttons in the car until the light blinks, as described in the owners manual and is the same for all homelink)
Second, hold down the button you wish to program in the car. For example use the 1 button
Third, hold the remote which came with the garage door in front of the sensor on the car until the parking light blinks (up to 30 seconds)
Forth, back into the car to push the 1 button again.
THEN, go into the garage and push the button on the garage door opener until the light on the opener turns solid
Finally, go back to the car and push the 1 button (or which ever you selected) a couple of times. The garage door should open.

Thus, you clear existing codes
Then you program the basic code into the car using a remote for the garage door opener.
Last, you let the car know that your door uses rolling codes.

This works on all my cars and has for years.

Last edited by pegdrag; 09-26-2022 at 05:52 PM.
Old 09-27-2022, 11:13 AM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Macan requires you to hold down the button for a bit until the light blinks. Quick push that works w most cars and openers not enough

Quick Reply: Garage Door Opener ??