Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Review: Burger Tuning JB1 Piggyback Engine Tuning Module on 2019 Base 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2022 | 08:40 PM
VAGfan
Pro

Default Review: Burger Tuning JB1 Piggyback Engine Tuning Module on 2019 Base 2.0

I just installed the Burger Motorsports JB1 Stage-1 Piggyback engine tuning module ($379) on my 2019 2.0 Base Macan. This is the "VW/Audi Group 6 for the EA888 Gen-3 engine" module. Easy 3-plug install, everything easily accessible from the topside of the engine. Factory OEM quality connectors. Took me about 30 minutes to install and zip-tie everything down.

They claim an added 45HP and 65 ft-lbs of torque on 91 octane fuel. It adds 4 PSI of boost over stock.

I measured my 0-60mph time as 6.2 seconds, stock, without the JB1.
With the JB1 I measured 5.5 seconds.

This really woke the engine up. Nice smooth power delivery, no hiccups or surging behavior.
Very happy with the JB1, highly recommended if you feel your Base needs a little more "go".

After I tested the JB1, I then installed the Pedal Commander. Makes the throttle much more responsive, even in non-sport mode. The "City 0" setting is more than enough throttle aggressiveness for me. I also highly recommend the Pedal Commander.
The following users liked this post:
Mikey Sugden (11-23-2022)
Old 12-06-2022 | 06:24 PM
LZRD GRN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VAGfan
I just installed the Burger Motorsports JB1 Stage-1 Piggyback engine tuning module ($379) on my 2019 2.0 Base Macan. This is the "VW/Audi Group 6 for the EA888 Gen-3 engine" module. Easy 3-plug install, everything easily accessible from the topside of the engine. Factory OEM quality connectors. Took me about 30 minutes to install and zip-tie everything down.

They claim an added 45HP and 65 ft-lbs of torque on 91 octane fuel. It adds 4 PSI of boost over stock.

I measured my 0-60mph time as 6.2 seconds, stock, without the JB1.
With the JB1 I measured 5.5 seconds.

This really woke the engine up. Nice smooth power delivery, no hiccups or surging behavior.
Very happy with the JB1, highly recommended if you feel your Base needs a little more "go".

After I tested the JB1, I then installed the Pedal Commander. Makes the throttle much more responsive, even in non-sport mode. The "City 0" setting is more than enough throttle aggressiveness for me. I also highly recommend the Pedal Commander.
I am considering the JB1 piggyback and pedal commander for my 21 base Macan...

Are you still happy with the additions??

Cheers!
Old 12-06-2022 | 07:33 PM
VAGfan
Pro

I continue to be very happy with the JB1 and Pedal Commander mod.
Very smooth power delivery, just like a flashed tune in the ECU. This was somewhat of a surprise, as other piggyback modules (Neuspeed) I have used on prior VW/Audi cars have worked generally fine, but had some "bumps" or surges in the power delivery.
The JB1 (and JB4) are more sophisticated than most other piggyback modules (there are more engine sensor signals they tap into).

Just verify with Burger Motorsports which is the correct module for your 21, as I think the 21s have the factory power upped from 248HP to 261HP. My 2019 is a 248 HP version. I think Porsche only tweeked the max boost level to get that 13 HP increase.
Email their VW/Audi/Porsche expert to get that answered. George@burgertuning.com

Old 12-06-2022 | 09:41 PM
LZRD GRN
Rennlist Member

I continue to be very happy with the JB1 and Pedal Commander mod.
Very smooth power delivery, just like a flashed tune in the ECU. This was somewhat of a surprise, as other piggyback modules (Neuspeed) I have used on prior VW/Audi cars have worked generally fine, but had some "bumps" or surges in the power delivery.
The JB1 (and JB4) are more sophisticated than most other piggyback modules (there are more engine sensor signals they tap into).

Just verify with Burger Motorsports which is the correct module for your 21, as I think the 21s have the factory power upped from 248HP to 261HP. My 2019 is a 248 HP version. I think Porsche only tweeked the max boost level to get that 13 HP increase.
Email their VW/Audi/Porsche expert to get that answered. George@burgertuning.com
Thanks very much!

Yes, the 21 uses the JB4 module, it was uprated as you suggested...

Cheers!
Old 01-02-2023 | 04:04 PM
BMinSFL
Pro

What's the consensus on voiding the warranty with this? Is it detectable once removed?
Old 01-02-2023 | 04:25 PM
VAGfan
Pro

Concerning if detectable if it is removed, the vendors says no, but I think it might be possible for the ECU to store peak max MAF air volume or max fueling rate, and that data would be evidence that the engine was operating at higher than normal boost levels.
JohnnyC8 (01-02-2023)
Old 01-02-2023 | 06:13 PM
BMinSFL
Pro

Concerning if detectable if it is removed, the vendors says no, but I think it might be possible for the ECU to store peak max MAF air volume or max fueling rate, and that data would be evidence that the engine was operating at higher than normal boost levels.
Yeah makes sense. For what it's worth, Jon from Flat 6 Motorsports, who sells them, says its not detectable if removed. I'll start with the pedal commander and go from there. Appreciate your input!
Old 01-03-2023 | 12:43 PM
BMinSFL
Pro

Originally Posted by LZRD GRN
Thanks very much!

Yes, the 21 uses the JB4 module, it was uprated as you suggested...

Cheers!
I checked with George at BMS and he confirmed that my USA 2021 model can use the JB1 since it has the 248hp engine. I prefer the JB1 not only for cost but I won't be running the OBD-II cable like I have with past JB4 modules in other vehicles. I like that you just plug it in and go. That is the hardest part of the installation on most cars and I wouldn't want the OBD-II connector in the car for any warranty work, even if the main module is removed. He also said the warranty isn't a concern, for what its worth.
Old 01-03-2023 | 12:59 PM
VAGfan
Pro

I agree with the above, I bought the JB1 rather than the JB4 because I am installing a P3-Cars gauge into the OBD2 port, and the JB4 can't work with a shared OBD2.

I think the JB1 and JB4 make essentially same power on Map-1 (+4PSI boost), the JB4 however offers more fine-tuning options if you do other performance modifications.
Old 01-04-2023 | 12:23 AM
jbx2
Rennlist Member

I am running the Cobb 91 octane tune in our 2.0. I thought the car ran pretty well stock, but with the tune it is definitely more responsive.
Old 01-04-2023 | 09:24 AM
BMinSFL
Pro

Originally Posted by jbx2
I am running the Cobb 91 octane tune in our 2.0. I thought the car ran pretty well stock, but with the tune it is definitely more responsive.
A true flash should be better but with a warranty, the JB1/JB4 is the best bet. I had a JB4 on a prior vehicle (Lexus) and then went to a full tune flash and the difference was night and day although the JB4 provided a good boost. As the OP mentioned, the JB1 combined with the pedal commander should recreate the full package experience of a true flash tune but with quick reversibility for warranty purposes.
jbx2 (01-04-2023)
Old 01-04-2023 | 06:55 PM
jbx2
Rennlist Member

Yeah IDK which is better and will admit the flashing process was a nail biter thinking of possibly bricking the ECU even though I used a battery charging device. Either way for the money vs performance increase a tune works well with the EA888. I think if the engine was something other than the EA888 I would be hesitant to fiddle with it during the warranty period. I'll tell you one thing I'd like to change though is the headlights. They are just barely better than kerosene lanterns.

Quick Reply: Review: Burger Tuning JB1 Piggyback Engine Tuning Module on 2019 Base 2.0