Notices
Macan 2014-Current

New to me '15 Macan Turbo, have some questions/concerns- exhaust and tune as well

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2022, 04:27 PM
GT4Kevin
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 50 Posts
Default New to me '15 Macan Turbo, have some questions/concerns- exhaust and tune as well

Hello,

I had a 2015 X5 diesel as my daily and came across a one owner carfax 46,000 mile 2015 Macan Turbo for a great deal so I said what the heck and got it. The car was always maintained at the same porsche dealer by my house from day one and was babied (From what I can see) so I am very happy!

Digging deeper into the vehicle I see some isolated transmission issues as well as transfer case issues, which it seems for the latter they extended the warranty 7 years (which makes this the last year for me to do something about it) Should I take it to the dealer and see if it needs replacing? What would be some symptoms of the transfer case failing?

Are there other concerns or issues I should be aware of?

I don't want to tune or modify the vehicle prior to making sure it's mechanically sound,

Now onto the fun part at least. I definitely want an exhaust and I was curious if some vendors or users can chime in on what they're running!! Also if there are other must have mods to run

I had a Softronic tune on my GT4 and loved that, looks like they have one for the Macan as well

Thanks all!
Old 07-20-2022, 07:25 PM
Olddragger
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

First, if there are transmission issues address those first. Make sure no codes are present related to the transmission, then make sure fresh fluid, internal and external filters have been replaced. You do not want out of warrenty transmission problems.
The transfer case is now warrantied for 7 years , as you stated. Symptoms are any type of noise , drivetrain bumps, or jerks while turning. Porsche is pretty good about changing out the transfer case.
It is advised to change the fluid in the transfer case more frequently than what the manual says. Personally I also feel the transmission needs changing more frequently also.
The following users liked this post:
///Bruce (07-29-2022)
Old 07-20-2022, 07:37 PM
GT4Kevin
Instructor

Originally Posted by Olddragger
First, if there are transmission issues address those first. Make sure no codes are present related to the transmission, then make sure fresh fluid, internal and external filters have been replaced. You do not want out of warrenty transmission problems.
The transfer case is now warrantied for 7 years , as you stated. Symptoms are any type of noise , drivetrain bumps, or jerks while turning. Porsche is pretty good about changing out the transfer case.
It is advised to change the fluid in the transfer case more frequently than what the manual says. Personally I also feel the transmission needs changing more frequently also.
Thanks for the reply! No engine codes present, is there a deeper scan to see some codes that may not trigger a engine light or warning?

Thankfully none of those symptoms are present but I will swing by to see if they can check it out regardless.

I will stay on top of that and do it soon just in case it hasn't been done but I will cross reference the previous owners maintenance documents.
Old 07-21-2022, 04:30 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 290 Posts

There are quite a few aftermarket exhaust offerings for the Macan, some of better quality, some of higher cost. Each has its merits. I wanted a sound that was authoritative but not raucous and, most importantly, no drone at steady-state highway speeds. While some prefer a complete cat-back system, I opted for just replacing the two OEM cans. Finally pulled the trigger on the SOUL muffler by-pass system and have been extremely pleased with the build and sound quality. It was an easy DIY install. Yes, it will wake the dead on start-up (as do most) but, after a few seconds of warm-up, it's perfect.
The following users liked this post:
Soul Performance (07-22-2022)
Old 07-22-2022, 09:18 PM
GT4Kevin
Instructor

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
There are quite a few aftermarket exhaust offerings for the Macan, some of better quality, some of higher cost. Each has its merits. I wanted a sound that was authoritative but not raucous and, most importantly, no drone at steady-state highway speeds. While some prefer a complete cat-back system, I opted for just replacing the two OEM cans. Finally pulled the trigger on the SOUL muffler by-pass system and have been extremely pleased with the build and sound quality. It was an easy DIY install. Yes, it will wake the dead on start-up (as do most) but, after a few seconds of warm-up, it's perfect.
I like soul but there's some behind the scenes stuff with them and TopGear UK that's confusing. Some say it's china made but finished in PA and some say it's all done in the USA. Honestly it's priced crazy for a muffer bypass as well. I'm looking at FI currently for an exhaust solution and Softronic for a tune as that's what I had on my GT4 and loved it.

Last edited by GT4Kevin; 07-22-2022 at 09:26 PM.
Old 07-23-2022, 10:20 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 290 Posts

To each his own. From the moment I unpacked the SOUL system, I was impressed. I couldn't believe the care they took in packing and the amount of packing material used to protect it from damage in transit. Then there's the quality of the product...impeccable! The metal thickness, the powder coating and the weld fillets are like jewelry...no flimsy clamps either. There's an old addage "You get what you pay for...if you're lucky". I got what I paid for. Whether some of their components are made in China is of little concern. If it were, I probably wouldn't have purchased a Macan. A considerable percentage of Macan parts are manufactured in China.

Last edited by NC TRACKRAT; 07-23-2022 at 10:31 PM.

Quick Reply: New to me '15 Macan Turbo, have some questions/concerns- exhaust and tune as well