Notices
Macan 2014-Current

S vs GTS

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2022 | 10:39 AM
CapitalAL
Instructor

Default S vs GTS

Another great video by Nick Murray especially for those of us who have an S.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fVYGmww3Io0
The following 2 users liked this post by CapitalAL:
Llarry (07-13-2022), slcc (07-12-2022)
Old 07-13-2022 | 01:24 AM
undersky2
Instructor

Do people here agree?
Old 07-13-2022 | 01:39 AM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yup!
Old 07-13-2022 | 08:22 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

No , I don't agree
he is saying that Porsche is rating these engines wrong by 55 HP . I am not a legal expert , but this will be illegal . So basically according to him the difference is around 5 hp.
agree with him that some GTS models in the line up are more differentiated from S models , but seriously doubt that Porsche will over rate an engine by that much
Nick is ok , but has a weird vibe to him , and I think he loves to create controversy and may be this is his angle to attract viewers
The following 2 users liked this post by pitt911:
mikebrinda (07-14-2022), STKDoctor (07-17-2022)
Old 07-13-2022 | 08:43 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

I agree w/ the comments in the comments section of the video, I came to the same conclusion.
Once I spec'd out a Macan S to my liking I was pretty much at the same price as a GTS because so many things that you pay extra for on an S are standard on a GTS. Hence I went with the 22 GTS.

I'd say if you are going for a "poverty build" S then get the S and just put a tune on it. If you want a higher spec'd car get the GTS as the price will be the same and resale will be higher/easier on a GTS when the time comes (if you care about that).

Last edited by Nickshu; 07-13-2022 at 02:31 PM.
Old 07-13-2022 | 02:24 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pitt911
No , I don't agree
he is saying that Porsche is rating these engines wrong by 55 HP . I am not a legal expert , but this will be illegal . So basically according to him the difference is around 5 hp.
agree with him that some GTS models in the line up are more differentiated from S models , but seriously doubt that Porsche will over rate an engine by that much
Nick is ok , but has a weird vibe to him , and I think he loves to create controversy and may be this is his angle to attract viewers
It could be that the S is underrated in which case that wouldn't be the first time a manufacturer underrates.
Old 07-13-2022 | 04:21 PM
CapitalAL
Instructor

Originally Posted by rasetsu
It could be that the S is underrated in which case that wouldn't be the first time a manufacturer underrates.
That is most likely what it is. Like another member said it is illegal to overstate the horsepower, but nothing wrong with understating it. In the real world the S probably has somewhere around 420 HP. They just list a lower number on the S to make the GTS look more appealing.
The following users liked this post:
rasetsu (07-13-2022)
Old 07-13-2022 | 07:03 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

but what is the incentive for doing that. Porsche knows that people will catch up to that and it will hurt their image.
Old 07-13-2022 | 07:13 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

but what is the incentive for doing that. Porsche knows that people will catch up to that and it will hurt their image.
To increase the performance delta on paper between the two trims so people have a greater justification for selecting the GTS. No, most people won't catch on because it's highly unlikely anyone would place both on the same dyno back to back to compare the numbers and then everyone would find those numbers. It's not all that unheard of for manufacturers to underrate the performance of the mid-level trim to prevent it from cannibalizing the sales of the highest trim.

Porsche, BMW, etc. have been underrating their performance figures for years. Most GTS buyers aren't really going to care that the S is actually closer in performance than advertised because at the end of the day, they have a GTS and the S buyers who find out would consider it a benefit so I don't see how this hurt their image in any way.

Last edited by rasetsu; 07-13-2022 at 07:14 PM.
Old 07-16-2022 | 02:02 PM
sinking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nickshu
I agree w/ the comments in the comments section of the video, I came to the same conclusion.
Once I spec'd out a Macan S to my liking I was pretty much at the same price as a GTS because so many things that you pay extra for on an S are standard on a GTS. Hence I went with the 22 GTS.

I'd say if you are going for a "poverty build" S then get the S and just put a tune on it. If you want a higher spec'd car get the GTS as the price will be the same and resale will be higher/easier on a GTS when the time comes (if you care about that).
How were you spec'ing the S?

For my wifes build we found that most of what is standard on the GTS is stuff she didn't care about so the difference in price spec'd with the things she cared about was $10k. I'm actually surprised at how much needed to be optioned to both cars. She wanted all the performance options except for sport exhaust while I think it was only the AS and PSE out of those items standard on the GTS. I think the S ended up being $84k and the GTS $94k.

Either way she would want to do a tune at some point putting them both at the same HP and same money added to either. Though after the comparison in this video it might be a lower priority. We'll see when it arrives. The other big push to S vs GTS was the front grille. I'm surprised you can get the insert either bare plastic or painted black but not body color.
The following users liked this post:
dak911 (07-17-2022)
Old 07-16-2022 | 04:34 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sinking

For my wifes build we found that most of what is standard on the GTS is stuff she didn't care about so the difference in price spec'd with the things she cared about was $10k. I'm actually surprised at how much needed to be optioned to both cars. She wanted all the performance options except for sport exhaust while I think it was only the AS and PSE out of those items standard on the GTS. I think the S ended up being $84k and the GTS $94k.

Either way she would want to do a tune at some point putting them both at the same HP and same money added to either. Though after the comparison in this video it might be a lower priority. We'll see when it arrives. The other big push to S vs GTS was the front grille. I'm surprised you can get the insert either bare plastic or painted black but not body color.
My 2022 S spec was $110K. My 2022 GTS spec'd the same was $107K. We were able to get a GTS allocation (not easy) so that was a no brainer. Car was delivered this past spring after waiting 14 months for it (long story, originally ordered a 2021 which was cancelled by Porsche due to lack of parts).

I agree the Macan 3 GTS black front bumper is not as good looking as the Macan 2, it's very noticeable on light colors, but on dark colors I think it looks fine. Agreed you could have a body shop paint in the part that is painted on the S if you wanted.

Last edited by Nickshu; 07-18-2022 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-17-2022 | 10:02 AM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

HURT THEIR IMAGE Like they care, too many other unaddressed issues that they refuse to "address" over the years..
That said I LOVED MY 2019 S (My son has it now) and my 2022 S (which he will get when I get a 24 or 25, whichever are the LAST ICE's)
Old 07-17-2022 | 10:05 AM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

I just don't understand the S not having "enough" power and needing a ?TUNE? where are you guys going?
Old 07-17-2022 | 07:47 PM
sinking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dak911
I just don't understand the S not having "enough" power and needing a ?TUNE? where are you guys going?

Whatever something is, I want more.
Old 07-18-2022 | 10:20 AM
nevil
Racer

Whatever something is, I want more.
Yes, and the dealers and aftermarket vendors are counting on that. The thing is, someone always has a bigger boat.

Quick Reply: S vs GTS