Macan 2014-Current

DIY Improve 2022+ touch controls

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2022, 07:37 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 129 Posts
Default DIY Improve 2022+ touch controls

I got my 2022 Macan S about a month ago, and like many of you, I didn't like the fingerprint magnet the all-glass center console controls were. As obsessive as I normally am with keeping my car's interiors in mint condition, I knew right away that this would be a problem.

To fix that, I decided to try to use PPF (Xpel Stealth) to make those surfaces non-reflective, to eliminate fingerprints and to help avoid reflections. After an hour or so taking measurements with a Digital Caliper, I used my vinyl cutter to cut out the pieces and try them out.
Color me surprised when I tried them on, and they were basically perfect the first time! Needless to say, I installed them right away and they have been on for about a month now. So far, so good.

I can't fathom why Porsche and/or other car manufacturers don't do this at the factory. I think it looks cleaner, does not add unwanted reflections, eliminates scratches, and adds durability.

Here are some pictures with the vehicle on and off. What do you think?

P.S. I LOVE the Papaya contrast stitching!
The following 4 users liked this post by alex_c:
KM20Turbo (07-08-2022), T3X4S (06-09-2022), Van Larson (06-04-2022), wingless (08-21-2022)
Old 06-05-2022, 10:20 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 978 Likes on 655 Posts

Nice! I have thought about doing this. Do the buttons work just as well w/ the PPF overtop?
Old 06-05-2022, 10:57 AM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nickshu
Nice! I have thought about doing this. Do the buttons work just as well w/ the PPF overtop?
Yes, works exactly the same.
Old 06-05-2022, 11:18 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alex_c
Yes, works exactly the same.
Sweet! Our 22 GTS already has a couple small scratches by only 3000 miles. Going to do this ASAP.

Cheers!
Old 06-06-2022, 07:48 AM
softsand
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Alex, don’t suppose you’d like to sell me a kit ? - obviously your dimensions are great - looks perfect.
Old 06-06-2022, 12:46 PM
offagain
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I get it, people want the clean & sleek look these days - just like our smartphones. But I do agree - scratch magnets and just not worth it. That covering looks good enough to be factory. Makes me wonder why they didnt do it as standard? Oh wait, just read last months Panorama and Porsche makes 16% profit averaged out over their cars - why do something like this when it impacts the profit? :-)

Oh, and I will never realize why they dont fit a forward / back track buttons either!
The following users liked this post:
Nickshu (06-06-2022)
Old 06-06-2022, 01:21 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by offagain
I get it, people want the clean & sleek look these days - just like our smartphones. But I do agree - scratch magnets and just not worth it. That covering looks good enough to be factory. Makes me wonder why they didnt do it as standard? Oh wait, just read last months Panorama and Porsche makes 16% profit averaged out over their cars - why do something like this when it impacts the profit? :-)

Oh, and I will never realize why they dont fit a forward / back track buttons either!
FWIW we have a 2019 Golf R that is covered in the glossy surface plastic stuff with some haptic buttons (not as many as the Macan) and it has held up pretty well but there are some light surface scratches after 3 years and 40K miles.
Old 06-06-2022, 04:43 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,301 Likes on 886 Posts

They put the buttons back in 95B.3. Only the 95B.2 owners missed out.
Old 06-13-2022, 10:15 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

@alex_c did you see any evidence of a film layer overtop the haptic button panel? I talked to my PPF guy he is willing to try it but he is worried. He says he did the same in a new BMW recently that has a similar gloss plastic interior and when putting down the film he found it had a thin laminate protective layer on top from the factory that peeled up as he was working the film into place. He had to buy the customer a new panel which was not cheap. Thoughts?
Old 06-15-2022, 01:10 AM
TheStanman
Racer

Received 184 Likes on 99 Posts

PIano black is not used as a cost cutting measure. OEMs are incentivized to impress in the showroom, and most consumers think piano black looks high-end and "fancy" these days. Unfortunately it's not actually great to live with. It's the same thing with screens galore (though that is partially a cost saving measure).

Unfortunately it's ubiquitous across the industry. I'm hoping it's a fad that will pass once more consumers own a car with it.
Mikey K (02-11-2023)
Old 06-15-2022, 12:03 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nickshu
@alex_c did you see any evidence of a film layer overtop the haptic button panel? I talked to my PPF guy he is willing to try it but he is worried. He says he did the same in a new BMW recently that has a similar gloss plastic interior and when putting down the film he found it had a thin laminate protective layer on top from the factory that peeled up as he was working the film into place. He had to buy the customer a new panel which was not cheap. Thoughts?
I did not see any film on top of the panels. I actually installed the PPF and removed it later and it didn't remove anything underneath it when I removed it.
Nickshu (06-15-2022)
Old 06-15-2022, 03:18 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alex_c
I did not see any film on top of the panels. I actually installed the PPF and removed it later and it didn't remove anything underneath it when I removed it.
Good information thanks.
Old 06-15-2022, 03:31 PM
patrickoleas
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

l l

Last edited by patrickoleas; 06-16-2022 at 02:13 PM.
Old 06-22-2022, 12:23 PM
Spike5
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Xpel Kit

According to my contact at Xpel they already have a kit available in both clear and Stealth film.

https://www.xpel.com/product/512334
Nickshu (06-22-2022)
Old 06-29-2022, 11:27 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Had mine done today with my detailer on our 22 GTS. They did the touch strip near the buttons too (but over the 150mph sticker which I would have removed first but whatever). Came out great. Buttons work just as before no change noted in sensitivity. This is Xpel PPF in regular gloss, I chose not to go w/ the matte as the OP did above, personal preference.

Last edited by Nickshu; 06-29-2022 at 11:28 PM.
STKDoctor (06-30-2022)

Quick Reply: DIY Improve 2022+ touch controls