Macan 2014-Current

Fixing my 2015 Macan S Vent Controls

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2022, 01:16 AM
djbooya
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fixing my 2015 Macan S Vent Controls

I had to replace 3 of the 4 vent clips on my new to me 2015 Macan S. The Driver Side Door, Passenger Side Radio and Passenger Side Door. You may not need to do it exactly like I did but I was struggling until I got the Hemostat. Once I had the Hemostat I completed all 3 in about 30 mins including the time to remove the vents from the car.

Recommended Tools
Inventory the Clip:
Name:  OyKLydv.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  2.06 MB
In the background are 2 original pieces I found sitting in the vents. Notice the slight difference between the "Center Vent" Clip which appears to be used for the 2 vents next to the radio and the "Door Vent" clip which is the style used for the door vents. Look at the center piece that attaches to the control. It's keyed. The smaller cut is the top and the larger is the bottom. If you have your control upside down it will not move freely like the OEM control.

View of back of control:
Name:  J8t2czB.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  3.09 MB

Passenger side vents removed.
Name:  6AnGiTv.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  4.07 MB

OEM piece recovered (notice the grease where it connects to inside of vent).
Name:  0IkwHA4.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  936.6 KB

Step 1: Remove the Vent
I followed this video:

One tip which isn't described in the video to remove the wire harness is I let the vent hang down to put very slight tension on it so it was "pulling". I then pressed on the little metal tab as I very lightly pulled on the vent. Once I felt it move just a tiny bit I stopped pulling and then then was able to disconnect the wire harness. Trying to do this by pushing down with the Awl and pulling the connectors apart didn't work for me (but might for you).

Step 2: Assemble the rear of the control based on the vent you're working on.

Step 3: Lube the rear of control
Add a tiny bit of vaseline to the notch as can be seen here
Name:  XFHVlQa.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  3.04 MB

Step 4: Grab the Control
Depending on the vent you can reach through as I am showing above. That worked for me on the driver door side, but not on the passenger side. On the passenger side I used the tweezers to pass the control just pass the slats and used the hemostat to grab it from the rear of the vent. It's important to make sure the hemostat grabs it all the way up and touching the rear control. If you don't do that it'll keep swiveling up/down and make it harder to push the control together.

Step 5: Assemble
Name:  qjlcTyX.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  3.28 MB
While the hemostat holds the rear of the control over the swivel point (make sure the notch goes over that) I just pushed the front of the control over it. However, I could not tell if it was fully secure doing this.

Step 6: Confirm Connection
Name:  2stfAXh.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  3.36 MB
I carefully tilted the front of the vent downward while holding the front of the vent control. I then used the chopsticks to push on the rear of the control and in all 3 installs I heard an audible "click" which confirms that the pressure from the front wasn't enough to secure it.

Step 7: re-install vent into car

Hope this helps some folks out!

Pic of OEM control:
Name:  EcSmxJt.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  823.2 KB

Pic of Ebay Control:
Name:  NAKUvJT.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  876.8 KB

Last edited by djbooya; 05-18-2022 at 01:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mikewire (05-18-2022)
Old 05-18-2022, 12:51 PM
mikewire
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice, thanks for posting this. I had one break when installing my Isudar module, so this is exactly the info I need to do the job. Ordered some of the tabs from that same seller.

Curious how long did it take to receive those vent controls from overseas?

Thanks!!
Old 05-18-2022, 12:57 PM
djbooya
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mikewire
Nice, thanks for posting this. I had one break when installing my Isudar module, so this is exactly the info I need to do the job. Ordered some of the tabs from that same seller.

Curious how long did it take to receive those vent controls from overseas?

Thanks!!
Ordered 3/15 - Delivered 4/5

Quick Reply: Fixing my 2015 Macan S Vent Controls