Notices
Macan 2014-Current

How do you keep Macan tailgate closed when hauling long cargo?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2022, 07:50 PM
peterp
Drifting

Received 749 Likes on 451 Posts
Default How do you keep Macan tailgate closed when hauling long cargo?

Stupid question: How do you keep the Macan tailgate closed when hauling long items. I need to pick up some fence panels that will stick out the back. The electronic trunk can be closed to just above where the fence panels stick out, but the tailgate will randomly open on its own when driving. Is there a way to get the tailgate to stay partially closed? I considered using a strap to hold the tailgate down, but am concerned that it will damage the electric opener since it seems to want to open itself while driving.

Does anybody have any suggestions?
Old 05-07-2022, 08:22 PM
jbx2
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

It might be possible to use a tie down strap of some sort connected to the locking loop on the tailgate then attached to the port and starboard rear tie down points. I hate to recommend bungee and myself would figure a way to use a ratchet strap, but a bungee would work well. I would also use some sort of cushion against the tailgate edge to protect it from friction when going over bumps.
Old 05-07-2022, 08:27 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,301 Likes on 886 Posts

Probably best to pull the fuse.
The following users liked this post:
peterp (05-09-2022)
Old 05-07-2022, 08:57 PM
peterp
Drifting

Originally Posted by jbx2
It might be possible to use a tie down strap of some sort connected to the locking loop on the tailgate then attached to the port and starboard rear tie down points. I hate to recommend bungee and myself would figure a way to use a ratchet strap, but a bungee would work well. I would also use some sort of cushion against the tailgate edge to protect it from friction when going over bumps.
I have the ratcheting straps (I used them often on my manual tailgate Q5), but I'm concerned that the motor will try to open the tailgate and be fighting against the strap. I guess it's probably smart enough to give up when it won't move, but still a bit hesitant to do this.

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Probably best to pull the fuse.
That seems like a good idea. I'll have to break out the owners manual to see where the fuse box is and to see if there is a separate fuse for tailgate. I wish Porsche had a PDF version of the owners manual for the 2018 -- I find that much easier to use than printed owners manual.
Old 05-07-2022, 09:39 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,301 Likes on 886 Posts

Also recommend running with the other windows open, to ensure you get plenty of fresh air from someplace other than the exhaust pipes. Running with an open liftgate can lead to CO buildup in some scenarios, which is why the manual warns against it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Noah Fect:
drcollie (05-08-2022), peterp (05-09-2022)
Old 05-07-2022, 11:37 PM
Gary S.
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

It's like 20 bucks to rent a Home Depot truck etc. Keep in mind one scratch,one damaged tailgate, one cut in the interior, will cost way more to fix than what you could rent something for not to mention the down time you'd incur IMHO.
The following 6 users liked this post by Gary S.:
drcollie (05-08-2022), MGT3 (05-08-2022), nevil (05-08-2022), peterp (05-09-2022), Terry Adams (05-10-2022), tk-porsche (05-08-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-08-2022, 08:48 AM
tk-porsche
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary S.
It's like 20 bucks to rent a Home Depot truck etc. Keep in mind one scratch,one damaged tailgate, one cut in the interior, will cost way more to fix than what you could rent something for not to mention the down time you'd incur IMHO.
Have done this more than once! IMO, no vehicle can serve all purposes even reasonably well. An SUV is not a truck!
Old 05-08-2022, 09:01 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by peterp
Stupid question: How do you keep the Macan tailgate closed when hauling long items. I need to pick up some fence panels that will stick out the back. The electronic trunk can be closed to just above where the fence panels stick out, but the tailgate will randomly open on its own when driving. Is there a way to get the tailgate to stay partially closed? I considered using a strap to hold the tailgate down, but am concerned that it will damage the electric opener since it seems to want to open itself while driving.

Does anybody have any suggestions?
Try lowering it *manually* to the position just touching what you are carrying (with padding) and use a tie down.
Old 05-08-2022, 10:05 AM
nevil
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

I think you can look up "fuses" in your printed owner's manual and get to that section easily enough.
But as mentioned above, just rent a truck and take the worry out of it. Some stores also offer delivery, might be worth checking out.
Old 05-08-2022, 10:08 AM
CapitalAL
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

If you have a hitch hook up a trailer. I made sure to order my Macan with the hitch option because I do a lot of landscaping and construction work and there is no way I am putting any of that in the interior of the Macan.
Old 05-09-2022, 12:00 AM
peterp
Drifting

Thanks for the feedback. The fence panels easily fit in the Macan, they are just too long. I keep forgetting about the Home Depot truck rental -- I guess I'll do that for the fence panels just to make it easier, but there are times when I want to carry something small that is too long to fit, and I definitely don't what to rent a truck for that (for convenience reasons, not cost), so I'd still like to find a way to keep the tailgate closed in those instances. I did it all the time on the Q5 I had before the Macan, but there doesn't seem like a safe way to do it with the Macan's electronic trunk hatch. I find it really annoying when the newer car (Macan) loses functionality from the older (Q5) car. I'll check the owners manual as others have suggested to see if I can pull the fuse to keep the hatch closed on smaller items.
Old 05-09-2022, 08:10 AM
97c2s993
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

The height (or size of opening) of the liftgate is adjustable - meaning the point at which it stops opening once you engage it to open. For the purposes of this and other such one-off operations, is it not possible to adjust the stop position lower after which the motor stops opening the liftgate, and then you can safely tie it down with padding to secure it? Perhaps there's a minimum height and so it wouldn't work, but I would try this - assuming the OP wants to still do it this way.
Old 05-09-2022, 10:53 AM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Ask the dealer? I know many are worthless but you may get lucky
Old 05-09-2022, 02:11 PM
peterp
Drifting

Originally Posted by 97c2s993
The height (or size of opening) of the liftgate is adjustable - meaning the point at which it stops opening once you engage it to open. For the purposes of this and other such one-off operations, is it not possible to adjust the stop position lower after which the motor stops opening the liftgate, and then you can safely tie it down with padding to secure it? Perhaps there's a minimum height and so it wouldn't work, but I would try this - assuming the OP wants to still do it this way.
If I close it with the panels in, it does stop right above the stop point -- just like you'd want it to. But if you drive the car after that, it opens itself for some reason. Using tie-downs would keep it in position, but I'm concerned the lift system to be fighting the tie-downs.
Old 05-12-2022, 04:21 PM
hammergjh
Track Day

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

How about tying them to the roof? You can but a blanket down to prevent scratching the paint or glass.

Quick Reply: How do you keep Macan tailgate closed when hauling long cargo?