Question on ordering a 23 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2022, 02:27 PM
HKDaytona
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on ordering a 23 GTS

• Premium Package Plus
  • Adaptive Air Suspension incl. Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) (Raised 10 mm)
  • Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV+)
  • Sport Chrono Package
  • Surround View
  • Self Steering ParkAssist
  • Ionizer
  • Sunblind for Rear Side Windows
Have a few questions:
  1. Is PTV+ worth it? Does it make a difference in terms of driving experience?
  2. Self Steering ParkAssist. Does anyone really use it?
  3. Is Sunblind mechanical or manual?
Also thinking of the following options should be added:
  1. Select a different trim. Some complain that the GTS trim has white fingerprints
  2. Heated GT Sport Steering Wheel in Leather: Is the GT Sport Steeling Wheel better?
  3. Cargo Management System, how does it work?
Thank you for all of your feedback.
Old 05-09-2022, 08:17 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 1,114 Likes on 430 Posts

Hey there! I had a 2020 GTS briefly, in the process of ordering a 2022/2023 GTS now.

I think the Premium Package Plus is well worth it. I would have ordered just about everything in there anyway, and you get a bit of a price break, I think.

The GTS comes with Air Suspension standard, lowered 10mm. That option above is just to raise it by 10mm. The Air Suspension is AMAZING! The Macan with Air Suspension is a primary reason it is so much better than any other sporty midsize SUV on the planet, IMO.

PTV+ - My last one didn't have it. I will order it on this one for the principle of the matter.

Sport Chrono Package - MUST HAVE! Need that to have Sport and Sport Plus.

Surround View - I am ordering it. My G80 M3 had that, awesome feature. Once you have had it, it is tough to do without it. I also park my cars on a 4-Post Lift, very helpful for that.

Self Steering Assist - I have no interest. I would never use it.

Ionizer - I am getting that.

Sunblind - My kids are grown and 2 of 3 gone. I won't get those. I think they are manual.

GT Sport Steering Wheel - Yes, I prefer that. It is smaller in diameter and more sporty feeling.

Cargo Management System - I don't know how it works, but I am going to try it out.

Good luck with your decisions!
The following users liked this post:
HKDaytona (05-09-2022)
Old 05-09-2022, 10:49 PM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

• Adaptive Air Suspension incl. Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) (Raised 10 mm)
    • Well there are two heights with standard GTS, there's a button (not the off-road one). You probably just lose the lowered 10mm button
  • Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV+)
    • Got this. Anything to get this heavy car to turn in better but probably a waste of money unless on slippery roads
  • Sport Chrono Package
    • ​​​​​​​Got this. Probably another waste of money but the mode **** is something great about a 911 GTS I had.
  • Surround View
    • ​​​​​​​Absolute essential
  • Self Steering ParkAssist
    • ​​​​​​​Got this, cheap and a gimmick I want to try, some say too slow, part of the driving test where I come from so DIY.
  • Ionizer
    • ​​​​​​​No comment, didn't really think about it.
  • Sunblind for Rear Side Windows
    • ​​​​​​​Got them, rear passenger comfort in sunny places, they will thank you.
Have a few questions:
  1. Is PTV+ worth it? Does it make a difference in terms of driving experience?
    • ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​see above
  2. Self Steering ParkAssist. Does anyone really use it?
    • ​​​​​​​see above
  3. Is Sunblind mechanical or manual?
    • ​​​​​​​manual
Also thinking of the following options should be added:
  1. Select a different trim. Some complain that the GTS trim has white fingerprints
    • Don't know of the problem, what part has white fingerprints?
  2. Heated GT Sport Steering Wheel in Leather: Is the GT Sport Steeling Wheel better?
    • Isn't that the same w/o heating? I got the CF trim version 'cos CF everywhere edit: It's a little smaller, looks good, some say too small.
  3. Cargo Management System, how does it work?
    • ​​​​​​​This is nice. Comes with fitted rails down the sides of the cargo area where you can fit sliding width-wise partitions, think table tennis nets, one aluminium telescopic, one fabric expandable, and four hooky things for a net or the Porsche fridge straps, and a divider net for animal transport in the cargo area, and an extra reversible mat for the area, carpet one side and rubber the other.

Last edited by _RS_; 05-09-2022 at 10:54 PM.
HKDaytona (05-13-2022)
Old 05-10-2022, 08:11 AM
TheStanman
Racer

Received 184 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by IL_Pete
The GTS comes with Air Suspension standard, lowered 10mm. That option above is just to raise it by 10mm. The Air Suspension is AMAZING! The Macan with Air Suspension is a primary reason it is so much better than any other sporty midsize SUV on the planet, IMO.

PTV+ - My last one didn't have it. I will order it on this one for the principle of the matter.
Air Suspension - Completely agree regarding air suspension. I'm shocked how few people option it on non-GTS models. It's transformative, making it simultaneously one of the best handling and riding SUVs. As noted, GTS has it standard.

PTV+ - I haven't personally driven a Macan with PTV+, but it's telling that almost all press cars have it equipped, even base models. My only concern is premature brake wear. I suspect benefits will only be noticeable when driving hard on winding roads. So I think it depends on your use case.

Sports Chrono - while a must on the 911 and 718, I don't personally think it's critical for a Macan. Main benefits of Sports Plus are "official" LC (it still has LC without it) and a loosened stability control setting, which I don't personally use. The mode selector dial is pretty nice but not a must-have for me.
HKDaytona (05-13-2022)
Old 05-10-2022, 09:02 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 963 Likes on 643 Posts

If you have a chance, sit in a Macan w/ a GT steering wheel. I was glad that I did b/c for me (at 5'8" tall) the GT wheel blocked my view of the gauges at the top, which would be super annoying, so I chose not to get it. Did get heat.

Sundblinds are manual on the rear doors. They are not expensive and there is no downside, so I got them.

Agree that Self-park is a gimmick you would use once to try it out then never use it again. I had it on a prior car and that's what I did...tried it once then never used again. Especially if you have Surround view.

I have the stock GTS interior trim. Yes the white fingerprint thing is real, but I am hoping it wears off with time. It's like they are coated in some sort of white powder when they are made. I have not wiped them down yet to see what happens, probably should.

If you do decide to get the GT steering wheel then get all the interior trim in Carbon fiber. The GT wheel comes w/ carbon fiber trim on it...which IMO looks strange/out of place if you don't match the rest of the interior trim w/ the carbon fiber upgrade.

I would definitely get Sport Chrono. It's a GTS w/ 0-60 in 4s (Car and Driver tested it and got 3.5s). Yeah it's an SUV but if you don't get Sport Chrono then no Sport+ and no launch control, may as well get a Base or an S then. It cannot be added later as far as I know.

Last edited by Nickshu; 05-10-2022 at 09:12 AM.
HKDaytona (05-13-2022)
Old 05-10-2022, 10:37 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

The GT steering wheel can be spec'd in leather - you're not locked into the CF trim.
Old 05-10-2022, 11:22 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
The GT steering wheel can be spec'd in leather - you're not locked into the CF trim.
Interesting. I was talking about the trim around the buttons. That can be leather wrapped? I thought only black gloss plastic or CF.
Old 05-10-2022, 12:45 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Sorry - I mis-understood you - I thought you were saying that CF was standard. I don't know if leather trim is available. At least the CF trim alone is matte so maybe it won't look too out of place with no other CF.
Old 05-13-2022, 06:17 PM
meyecul
Pro

Received 377 Likes on 210 Posts

I have the brushed black aluminum GTS interior trim in my 21 GTS and yes, the odd mystery white haze keeps reappearing. You can make it show anytime by rubbing any of the trim for a few seconds with your fingers. Really odd and when I first witnessed this I thought I had somehow damaged the trim. It's totally harmless though and no big deal as it also wipes right off with a damp microfiber cloth. One would think once you clean a specific area that would be the end of it, but no, its weird and will keep coming back after being rubbed or touched a few times.

On a side note, I have found that P&S Xpress interior cleaner is the best ever for interior cleaning (everything including keeping the leather nice and matte). It takes this white powder effect away with one lightly damp wipe of the microfiber towel.
HKDaytona (05-13-2022)
Old 05-13-2022, 10:23 PM
CapitalAL
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by meyecul
I have the brushed black aluminum GTS interior trim in my 21 GTS and yes, the odd mystery white haze keeps reappearing. You can make it show anytime by rubbing any of the trim for a few seconds with your fingers. Really odd and when I first witnessed this I thought I had somehow damaged the trim. It's totally harmless though and no big deal as it also wipes right off with a damp microfiber cloth. One would think once you clean a specific area that would be the end of it, but no, its weird and will keep coming back after being rubbed or touched a few times.

On a side note, I have found that P&S Xpress interior cleaner is the best ever for interior cleaning (everything including keeping the leather nice and matte). It takes this white powder effect away with one lightly damp wipe of the microfiber towel.
I second the P&S interior cleaner, started using it about a year ago and love it especially on leather as it makes it look brand new again. I also have been using the P&S brake buster wheel and tire cleaner and very satisfied with that as well.
Old 05-14-2022, 09:50 AM
TheStanman
Racer

Originally Posted by Nickshu
I would definitely get Sport Chrono. It's a GTS w/ 0-60 in 4s (Car and Driver tested it and got 3.5s). Yeah it's an SUV but if you don't get Sport Chrono then no Sport+ and no launch control, may as well get a Base or an S then. It cannot be added later as far as I know.
While Porsche states you must get Sports Chrono for LC, it's not actually true. All Macans have LC.

From what I can tell, the only difference is "Launch Control" lights up on the dash with SC. Without SC, it still functions the same - revs the engine and drops the clutch. I'm not sure if there are other small differences, but I've launched many a Macan w/o SC, even base models.

Edit: there also many reasons to get a GTS even w/o SC. The main GTS differentiations - power, suspension, looks, resale, etc - are all there regardless of SC choice.

Last edited by TheStanman; 05-14-2022 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-14-2022, 09:54 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheStanman
While Porsche states you must get Sports Chrono for LC, it's not actually true. All Macans have LC.

From what I can tell, the only difference is "Launch Control" lights up on the dash with SC. Without SC, it still functions the same - revs the engine and drops the clutch. I'm not sure if there are other small differences, but I've launched many a Macan w/o SC, even base models.
I have noticed that the launch RPMs are different in different modes. I can launch my 2022 GTS in Sport mode but it hangs at a lower RPM prior to launch than it does in Sport +. Obviously faster launch in Sport + vs Sport. Just an observation.
Old 05-14-2022, 09:57 AM
TheStanman
Racer

Originally Posted by Nickshu
I have noticed that the launch RPMs are different in different modes. I can launch my 2022 GTS in Sport mode but it hangs at a lower RPM prior to launch than it does in Sport +. Obviously faster launch in Sport + vs Sport. Just an observation.
Gotcha. So perhaps the faster 0-60 is from the higher RPM of the launch, rather than having LC or not.