Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2022, 04:03 PM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 549 Likes on 327 Posts
Default Cobb Tune is out for 2020-2021 GTS

Just an FYI

https://www.cobbtuning.com/2019-2021...3Vk3iRaWj0KUnA

Also interesting, the dyno graphs of stock power...basically the GTS is just missing a smidge of top end horsepower, but generally is near identical to the Turbo.
The following users liked this post:
JSF (04-27-2022)
Old 12-08-2022, 03:46 PM
Silversun262
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 71 Posts

Ordered, will report back.
The following 2 users liked this post by Silversun262:
#1SomeGuy (12-12-2022), supercup (12-11-2022)
Old 02-11-2023, 05:47 PM
twospyders
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 41 Posts

And? I have a 2020 Macan Turbo which has awful throttle response and lag. Will this help? A little or a lot? TY!!!!
Old 02-11-2023, 11:04 PM
wwahl
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by twospyders
And? I have a 2020 Macan Turbo which has awful throttle response and lag. Will this help? A little or a lot? TY!!!!
Sounds like you need a Pedal Commander.
Wilder (02-13-2023)
Old 02-12-2023, 11:47 AM
twospyders
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 41 Posts

Interesting. Never heard of this before.
Old 02-12-2023, 09:46 PM
wwahl
Pro

https://pedalcommander.com/?nbt=nb%3...hoC0V0QAvD_BwE
Check this out. It transformed my Macan from your description into a very useable car.
twospyders (02-12-2023)
Old 02-13-2023, 11:59 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,998 Likes on 1,773 Posts

Everyone needs to do this. Throttle response in the Macan is almost dangerous. The best bang for buck mod.
twospyders (02-14-2023)
Old 02-14-2023, 12:02 AM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by avid
Everyone needs to do this. Throttle response in the Macan is almost dangerous. The best bang for buck mod.
LMAO dangerous? Are you that decrepit that you can't move your foot a little more to get the vehicle to go? If so, you shouldn't be driving. The Macan's throttle response is plentiful and all that little pedal box is doing is spoofing the signal to the ECU, the actual amount of throttle available doesn't change one little bit.
Old 02-14-2023, 12:09 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by #1SomeGuy
LMAO dangerous? Are you that decrepit that you can't move your foot a little more to get the vehicle to go? If so, you shouldn't be driving. The Macan's throttle response is plentiful and all that little pedal box is doing is spoofing the signal to the ECU, the actual amount of throttle available doesn't change one little bit.
Dangerous because it's unresponsive you dunce. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Go away.
twospyders (02-14-2023)
Old 02-14-2023, 07:04 PM
Silversun262
Rennlist Member

I recently installed the COBB tune paired with the Pedal Commander. Talk about poking the beast! The tune really adds some punch. Select SPORT+ on the dial and SPORT mode on the PC then hold on! WOW!

We test drove the GTS and TURBO 2021 back to back. My wife liked the sporty styling of the GTS over the Turbo and she thought the GTS was plenty powerful. I liked the power of the TURBO. Knowing about the ability to tune the GTS we went that route.

The pedal commander is a simple throttle map device that does not add power. However, the ability to adjust the throttle input sensitivity is sweet. In the day before fly by wire throttle, we would have to modify the mechanical linkage to adjust throttle input. Being able to do this electronically is far superior. I can understand why Porsche would be conservative on the throttle maps. These engines can put down a ton of power very quickly. IF anyone has driven an 80s-90's era turbo car, they know how abrupt the power delivery can be. That can be far more dangerous than a lag in power delivery.

I personally like the tune paired with the PC. When its just me, I crank the PC to sport and go have some fun. Also super easy with the phone app to change settings on the go.
The following 2 users liked this post by Silversun262:
twospyders (02-14-2023), Wilder (02-15-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 12:19 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by srf409
Your remark about being decrepit and "shouldn't be driving" show cases your ignorance.
Clearly the only people who understand the need for a PC are those of us who drive in a spirited manner. People who think the Macan's throttle response is "plentiful" are... well, decrepit with a ***** foot. Oh the irony.
Old 02-15-2023, 01:10 AM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by avid
Dangerous because it's unresponsive you dunce. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Go away.
1) I own a 2021 Macan GTS, I simply push the throttle down more when I want it to move faster. I usually drive in Sport (well, Individual with soft dampers), I have zero issues.
2) I've tuned more vehicles with Cobb AccessPorts than most people here, I owned and did tons of Mazdaspeed 3's with AccessTuner back in the day.
3) Saying a Macan is "dangerous" is dumb, when even in normal mode at half throttle it will accelerate to 60mph faster than pretty much any economy car out there.
4) The pedal commander is literally just modifying the signal to the ECU and regardless of drive mode, does not change the amount of throttle available. Floored with a pedal commander is exactly the same as without. Guess what, I have a right foot that can do everything it does, I just move my foot more and I get more throttle, it's that simple. What's so hard to understand about that? You've pretty much just bought a device so you have to move your foot less and apparently that makes you think the vehicle has better throttle response lol it's utterly stupid.

They literally show on the site what it does, it takes away a linear throttle and replaces it with a stupidly aggressive ramp up then flat line, wasting 80% of the travel.

Old 02-15-2023, 01:53 AM
Silversun262
Rennlist Member

I love how anyone against these devices say they “can simply move their foot more to get the same affect”. Also no one is arguing that these devices “add” anything.

Throttle input mapping is a real world tuning parameter in racing. Every modern race team on the planet, that use fly by wire throttle, use various maps to adjust how the drivers input on the pedal effects the power delivery. F1, Motogp, etc. They spend countless hours programming throttle and engine maps.

Porsche has deliberately mapped the throttle from the factory to be very conservative. This gives us the feeling of “lag or delayed response”

These devices give us the ability to make it more or less aggressive.

The makers of the devices are very transparent as the picture above shows. We can achieve closer to full throttle with much less pedal input. This results in faster engine response relative to pedal input. If that makes my experience driving the vehicle more enjoyable then the device is working as advertised. In some cases I may not want such an aggressive response so, I can dial it down.

This principle can be related to braking too. In race cars they can adjust brake pedal input to braking applied at the wheels. Sure you can just push the pedal harder but why do that if you can increase the effect at the wheels with out needing more pressure at the pedal.

At the end of the day its all about tuning and adjustability. Use them or dont. But to say “just push the pedal harder to get the same effect” is a bit intellectually dishonest or disingenuous at best. You cannot physically get the same effect. It literally takes longer to move the pedal to get the same output the pedal commander will provide in a fraction of the time. Unless your foot can move faster than the speed of light.
Wilder (02-15-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 02:33 AM
wwahl
Pro

Originally Posted by Silversun262
I love how anyone against these devices say they “can simply move their foot more to get the same affect”. Also no one is arguing that these devices “add” anything.

Throttle input mapping is a real world tuning parameter in racing. Every modern race team on the planet, that use fly by wire throttle, use various maps to adjust how the drivers input on the pedal effects the power delivery. F1, Motogp, etc. They spend countless hours programming throttle and engine maps.

Porsche has deliberately mapped the throttle from the factory to be very conservative. This gives us the feeling of “lag or delayed response”

These devices give us the ability to make it more or less aggressive.

The makers of the devices are very transparent as the picture above shows. We can achieve closer to full throttle with much less pedal input. This results in faster engine response relative to pedal input. If that makes my experience driving the vehicle more enjoyable then the device is working as advertised. In some cases I may not want such an aggressive response so, I can dial it down.

This principle can be related to braking too. In race cars they can adjust brake pedal input to braking applied at the wheels. Sure you can just push the pedal harder but why do that if you can increase the effect at the wheels with out needing more pressure at the pedal.

At the end of the day, it's all about tuning and adjustability. Use them or don't. But to say “just push the pedal harder to get the same effect” is a bit intellectually dishonest or disingenuous at best. You cannot physically get the same effect. It literally takes longer to move the pedal to get the same output the pedal commander will provide in a fraction of the time. Unless your foot can move faster than the speed of light.
At the end of the day, what this comes down to is the Porsche engineers messed up big time on their approach to throttle control. PC has created an answer to this. It works very well. Porsche could admit they failed, but like their refusal to make a change to their failed sun visor, they won't. That mistake has carried forward for nine years.
Wilder (02-15-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 09:22 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by #1SomeGuy
1) I own a 2021 Macan GTS, I simply push the throttle down more when I want it to move faster. I usually drive in Sport (well, Individual with soft dampers), I have zero issues.
2) I've tuned more vehicles with Cobb AccessPorts than most people here, I owned and did tons of Mazdaspeed 3's with AccessTuner back in the day.
3) Saying a Macan is "dangerous" is dumb, when even in normal mode at half throttle it will accelerate to 60mph faster than pretty much any economy car out there.
4) The pedal commander is literally just modifying the signal to the ECU and regardless of drive mode, does not change the amount of throttle available. Floored with a pedal commander is exactly the same as without. Guess what, I have a right foot that can do everything it does, I just move my foot more and I get more throttle, it's that simple. What's so hard to understand about that? You've pretty much just bought a device so you have to move your foot less and apparently that makes you think the vehicle has better throttle response lol it's utterly stupid.

They literally show on the site what it does, it takes away a linear throttle and replaces it with a stupidly aggressive ramp up then flat line, wasting 80% of the travel.

Congratulations. Are you assuming that all Macans since 2014 drive like yours? I think its wonderful that you are pleased with your Macan out of the box. Many of us, MANY of us are not when it comes to how Porsche programmed the Macan's throttle. That's why it's one of the most popular mods.

Again, congratulations. So? You seem to think you're some kind of special exception here. You're clearly not aware of where you are and what kind of people are here. You want my resume? I can assure you you don't.

15 minutes into driving my newly purchased Macan, I found myself in a traffic situation that required quick acceleration. I pressed the pedal with immediacy expecting the car to react in kind. It took what seemed like a lifetime for it to do so. This happened over and over. That is dangerous. The only thing dumb here is your comment. You don't even seem able to discern the difference between acceleration and throttle response. Dumb.

Yes, exactly. PC is literally just modifying the signal to the ECU regardless of drive mode. Exactly. What you seem to be confused about the difference between "throttle available" and throttle response time. You don't seem to get that It's not about "flooring it". It's about how quickly the pedal/throttle/car responds to the input from your foot no matter the pressure you apply or how quickly you apply it. Without PC, my Macan and those of most people, takes what seems like forever for the car to move and many confuse it with turbo lag because the throttle is programmed to respond slowly in order to meet regulations. It doesn't matter that it's a 440HP car if it doesn't move when I need it to. With PC, it responds as quickly as the setting you chose with many of them being near instant. That transforms how the car drives and feels. It feels like the extension of your body that most Porsches feel like and ought to feel like. It is no longer dangerous because you feel in control.

I'm very careful about not judging people and I'm mindful about truly understanding before I respond to something. When I call you a dunce and say you don't know what you're talking about, it's well thought out. I called you a dunce because rather than ask questions about something you clearly don't understand, you chose to laugh at me and ridicule me. Everything you've said in your two posts suggests that you've never driven a car with a throttle controller, that you don't know what they do, and that you're assuming, perhaps based on things you've read on online, like all good internet warriors. Assuming alone is a sign of ignorance and stupidity. Add to that ridiculing and laughing at people who clearly know more than you do, just adds to it. And that's why I called you a dunce. Now, like I said before, please go away.
Silversun262 (02-15-2023)

Quick Reply: Cobb Tune is out for 2020-2021 GTS