Macan 2014-Current

Slow shifting Macan PDK?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2022, 11:17 AM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 391 Posts
Default Slow shifting Macan PDK?

Our 2021 Macan Turbo is the first car we've owned with PDK. I have read so much about how instantaneous the shift speed is in the PDK's manual mode. But this is not the case with our PDK, even in Sport+. Most of the time there is a significant delay--maybe a second or so--between pulling the paddle and the shift occurring. Is this normal? I have read that the PDK in the 2022 Macan Turbo is an Audi transmission. Could that be the problem?

God bless you,
TT

Last edited by TomTarzian; 04-01-2022 at 10:52 AM.
Old 03-31-2022, 02:03 PM
MrMarco
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 83 Posts

Bunch of threads on the subject and related transmission modifications to the unit in the Macan. Please search before starting another tranny post
Old 03-31-2022, 03:24 PM
VAGfan
Pro

Received 276 Likes on 185 Posts

Personally, I don't think the Macan PDK really shifts any faster than the 8 speed ZF (torque converter traditional automatic) in my Audi SQ5. The real advantage of a PDK is that it has less powertrain losses than a conventional automatic.
Old 03-31-2022, 04:23 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Originally Posted by MrMarco
Bunch of threads on the subject and related transmission modifications to the unit in the Macan. Please search before starting another tranny post
If there is another thread about the Macan's shift speed let me know. I couldn't find one, so I started this thread.

God bless you,
Tom

Last edited by TomTarzian; 04-01-2022 at 12:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
T3X4S (03-31-2022)
Old 03-31-2022, 04:25 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Originally Posted by VAGfan
Personally, I don't think the Macan PDK really shifts any faster than the 8 speed ZF (torque converter traditional automatic) in my Audi SQ5. The real advantage of a PDK is that it has less powertrain losses than a conventional automatic.
The DCT in my wife's BMW 135i shifts way faster--more "immediately"--than the PDK in our Macan. But the DCT takes a little finessing to get started smoothly from a stop.

God bless you,
TT
Old 03-31-2022, 07:20 PM
CapitalAL
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by TomTarzian
Our 2022 Macan Turbo is the first car we've owned with PDK. I have read so much about how instantaneous the shift speed is in the PDK's manual mode. But this is not the case with our PDK, even in Sport+. Most of the time there is a significant delay--maybe a second or so--between pulling the paddle and the shift occurring. Is this normal? I have read that the PDK in the 2022 Macan Turbo is an Audi transmission. Could that be the problem?

God bless you,
TT
Where did you find a 2022 Turbo? I would buy one tomorrow, but can't find any on the Porsche website. All I see is Base, S and GTS.
Old 03-31-2022, 08:53 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,574 Likes on 873 Posts

There is no car called 2022 Turbo.
Old 03-31-2022, 10:41 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Originally Posted by CapitalAL
Where did you find a 2022 Turbo? I would buy one tomorrow, but can't find any on the Porsche website. All I see is Base, S and GTS.
Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
There is no car called 2022 Turbo.
Absolutely right. My mistake. Ours is a 2021 Macan Turbo--corrected the original post starting this thread. As I understand it, the 2022 Macan GTS has essentially the same motor as the 2021 Macan Turbo.

God bless you,
TT

Last edited by TomTarzian; 04-02-2022 at 10:52 AM.
Old 04-01-2022, 04:54 AM
spraguedawley
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by TomTarzian
Our 2022 Macan Turbo is the first car we've owned with PDK. I have read so much about how instantaneous the shift speed is in the PDK's manual mode. But this is not the case with our PDK, even in Sport+. Most of the time there is a significant delay--maybe a second or so--between pulling the paddle and the shift occurring. Is this normal? I have read that the PDK in the 2022 Macan Turbo is an Audi transmission. Could that be the problem?

God bless you,
TT
I think you mean 2021 Turbo. Anyway, I have noticed the same thing n my 22 GTS. From what I understand this is not a "real" PDK tranny, but some sort of Audi trans. I had a PDK in my 2015 911 Turbo S and it was amazing with lighting fast shifts. This is absolutely not the same trans. I notice that it does seem to shift faster at higher RPMs under load. Don't forget, these are luxury CUVs, not sports cars.
Old 04-01-2022, 10:20 AM
MrMarco
Pro

Originally Posted by spraguedawley
... Don't forget, these are luxury CUVs, not sports cars.
YES!!! Thank you.
I fell into the Macan P-trap and had my head snapped back to reality when I nearly rear-ended a truck at the top of an offramp under the first hard breaking experience. What would have required moderate braking in my 911 became an pant changing experience. Now with new brakes and Mich PS4SUV it's quicker from 75-0, but still a fat little beast.
Old 04-01-2022, 10:43 AM
CapitalAL
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

YES!!! Thank you.
I fell into the Macan P-trap and had my head snapped back to reality when I nearly rear-ended a truck at the top of an offramp under the first hard breaking experience. What would have required moderate braking in my 911 became an pant changing experience. Now with new brakes and Mich PS4SUV it's quicker from 75-0, but still a fat little beast.
How do you like the PS4 SUV tires? I was planning to get PS4S tires but there were not available in the 20 inch wheel size. The only other tire I would consider is the P zero but I would prefer to stay with Michelin.
Old 04-01-2022, 10:59 AM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Originally Posted by spraguedawley
I think you mean 2021 Turbo. Anyway, I have noticed the same thing n my 22 GTS. From what I understand this is not a "real" PDK tranny, but some sort of Audi trans. I had a PDK in my 2015 911 Turbo S and it was amazing with lighting fast shifts. This is absolutely not the same trans. I notice that it does seem to shift faster at higher RPMs under load. Don't forget, these are luxury CUVs, not sports cars.
Yes, ours is a 2021 Macan Turbo. There is no 2022 Macan Turbo. Agree that the harder you push it the faster the tranny shifts. But the DCT in my wife's BMW 135i shifts fast--and yet smoothly--all the time. This is what I was expecting the Macan's tranny would be like. "Anticipointment," I'm afraid.

YES!!! Thank you.
I fell into the Macan P-trap and had my head snapped back to reality when I nearly rear-ended a truck at the top of an offramp under the first hard breaking experience. What would have required moderate braking in my 911 became a pant changing experience. Now with new brakes and Mich PS4SUV it's quicker from 75-0, but still a fat little beast.
The PSCBs on our 2021 Macan Turbo stop it pretty well, although their feel is not nearly as satisfying as the feel of the PCCBs on our 991.2 911 and 718 GT4. What new brakes did you get for your Macan, MrM?

God bless you,
TT

Last edited by TomTarzian; 04-01-2022 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-01-2022, 11:16 AM
MrMarco
Pro

Originally Posted by CapitalAL
How do you like the PS4 SUV tires? I was planning to get PS4S tires but there were not available in the 20 inch wheel size. The only other tire I would consider is the P zero but I would prefer to stay with Michelin.
Fantastic tires. I think I've communicated before that I should have just bought the Michelin All-Seasons because I don't push the PS4 hard enough. They are a favorite as I've had several sets of Pilot Sport tires. They find every groove in the pavement but I have always made fine adjustments to the vehicles track on the pavement so it feels normal to me (some people say they have the best feel with a lowered tire pressure.)
Old 04-01-2022, 01:17 PM
NickS
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

The PDK for Porsche "cars" are different than the PDK for Porsche SUV's. The ones in the cars ARE indeed lightning quick and damn near perfect. Not so much for the Macan and other SUV's.
Old 04-01-2022, 03:40 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Originally Posted by NickS
The PDK for Porsche "cars" are different than the PDK for Porsche SUV's. The ones in the cars ARE indeed lightning quick and damn near perfect. Not so much for the Macan and other SUV's.
Amen regarding that last statement, Nick. The Macan's PDK is a disappointment, and since I had been led to believe it would be great, like the ones in the sports cars, it's an "anticipointment." I wish I had been able to drive one before ordering.

God bless you,
TT

Quick Reply: Slow shifting Macan PDK?