Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Electronic Throttle Hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2022, 01:50 PM
wbferran
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

To be clear, are we talking about three different devices? Sprint Booster, Pedalbox, or Pedal Commander? Is one better than the others? Thx
Old 04-24-2022, 01:56 PM
DHF
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mvmojo
The Sprint Booster video shows that these devices actually do more than just push the gas pedal faster or farther down as some folks have opined. This mirrors my experience with the Pedal Commander in my GTS. I tried turning it off and simply pressing the gas pedal faster, pressing it farther down faster, pressing it more aggressively, etc., however you want to describe it. In no way could I mimic the throttle response when my Pedal Commander is engaged in City +2 or Sport +0 mode. The closest I can come is to put the car in Sport mode and then aggressively press the gas pedal. On the other end of the spectrum, put Pedal Commander in Eco mode -2 and speed of the throttle response can be measured with a sun dial. I can just imagine a valet getting into the car thinking he's going to hot rod this little SUV since it's a Porsche and finding out (with me leaving PC in Eco mode) that the car will barely get out of it's own way! WTF?? Then I get in it, use my phone to change PC to Sport mode and roar off out of the parking lot like a scalded cat! Pedal Commander is the best $280 I've spent on the car.
Couldn't agree more!
I was disappointed with the pedal response of my 2017S even with the Cobb stage 1 tune. I even had to move my seat up a notch to be able to comfortably press the "pedal to the metal" which was the only way the S performed crisply even in Sport mode. however after deciding to try the Pedal Commander, the vehicle is transformed.
I only run it in City mode +1 or 2 and it's the way I expected a Macan to perform as delivered. The vehicle is a pleasure to drive whereas before the PC I had to anticipate the need for power before expecting it to be available. If one wants to improve driveability I personally feel the Pedal Commander is the best value for the money.
The following 3 users liked this post by DHF:
Blu311 (05-12-2022), mvmojo (04-27-2022), Nickshu (05-01-2022)
Old 04-24-2022, 02:04 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 274 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by wbferran
To be clear, are we talking about three different devices? Sprint Booster, Pedalbox, or Pedal Commander? Is one better than the others? Thx
They all do the same thing and perform the same way, IMHO. Sprint Booster is the original and made in U.S.A. Pedalbox is made in Germany. Pedal Commander, I think, is made in China. Of the three, Sprint Booster is the only one that cannot be controlled via Bluetooth. I have a Pedalbox in my toy and Sprint Booster in the Macan. I purchased the Pedalbox since it has Bluetooth function, which is nice to have, but realized that I tend to just set and forget. I like both of my choices; you can't go wrong with any of them. I believe some of them have a 30 day money back guarantee as well.
Old 04-26-2022, 01:06 PM
T3X4S
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
They all do the same thing and perform the same way, IMHO. Sprint Booster is the original and made in U.S.A. Pedalbox is made in Germany. Pedal Commander, I think, is made in China. Of the three, Sprint Booster is the only one that cannot be controlled via Bluetooth. I have a Pedalbox in my toy and Sprint Booster in the Macan. I purchased the Pedalbox since it has Bluetooth function, which is nice to have, but realized that I tend to just set and forget. I like both of my choices; you can't go wrong with any of them. I believe some of them have a 30 day money back guarantee as well.
Sprint booster is manufactured in Greece, and PC is manufactured in Turkey.
The following users liked this post:
cucu (04-26-2022)
Old 04-26-2022, 02:23 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by T3X4S
Sprint booster is manufactured in Greece, and PC is manufactured in Turkey.
I’m 0 for 2. Good thing I’m not in marketing!
PierW (07-22-2023)
Old 04-26-2022, 05:10 PM
wbferran
Instructor

The lag is most pronounced during cruise, normal mode, below 1500 rpm. If you really need response, slap it into manual, downshift a couple gears to around 2500 rpm or so, and go. It’s not ideal, but it works.
Old 04-30-2022, 12:08 AM
jbx2
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

I've found a quick down shift or two gets the job done
Old 05-01-2022, 12:15 PM
DHF
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jbx2
I've found a quick down shift or two gets the job done
I rationalized the same way, but having the response there by just a light depression of the gas pedal is worth the modest expense. It transforms the response and enjoyment of driving the Macan. I was able to pick one up used for $180 and it was the best performance per dollar I have spent on the vehicle.
Pedal Commander et al ,should offer a free 30 day trial, as if you try it you'll buy it
The following 2 users liked this post by DHF:
Blu311 (05-12-2022), mvmojo (05-11-2022)
Old 05-01-2022, 07:56 PM
NickS
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

So I finally broke down, purchased and installed a PC. Based on most reviews I set it at City +1 and all I can say is YES!!! FINALLY!!! The horrible throttle response is gone. Throttle response is now like my 911/981. I couldn't be happier. Wish I had done this a year ago.
The following 4 users liked this post by NickS:
Blu311 (05-12-2022), mvmojo (05-02-2022), Nickshu (05-01-2022), spraguedawley (05-31-2022)
Old 05-01-2022, 08:42 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

I was just thinking...my 991.2 GTS didn't have this sluggish throttle issue and it appears that this is most prevalent on the Macan line up. I'm new to the Macan world and Sprint Booster saved me from having to find a new home for my GTS. In any case, I'm glad that these gadgets are making the driving experience better for most of us. FYI, I received an email from Pedal Commander last week with a $50 off coupon for first xxx number of buyers. Might be worth checking out.

Last edited by luv2sleep; 05-01-2022 at 08:45 PM.
Old 05-01-2022, 11:05 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 963 Likes on 643 Posts

Installed the Pedal Commander tonight in our 22 GTS. NOW it drives like a Porsche should.

Set on City +1 feels best as stated above by many. And going to Sport and Sport+ modes on the car (not on the PC) enhances this further (leaving the PC on City+1).

Routed wires up between the 2 pedals and stuck the module to the bottom of the steering column within the opening where it enters under the dash. One zip tie used for the wire around the side of the accelerator pedal housing, then used the included velcro to stick the module in place. I was glad to find a hidden spot out of the way where I could stick it on a surface that is not leather wrapped.

Last edited by Nickshu; 05-01-2022 at 11:07 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nickshu:
chong0 (06-13-2022), STKDoctor (05-11-2022)
Old 05-10-2022, 02:16 PM
wbferran
Instructor

Not that it matters, but just curious - do these gizmos increase or decrease gas mileage? Thx
Old 05-11-2022, 04:24 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

They basically do nothing except provide a translation from one throttle position percentage to another, higher percentage. If you drive with a light foot, you'll get the same fuel economy. If you take advantage of the increased tip-in response, then yes, you'll burn more gas.
Old 05-11-2022, 07:07 PM
patrickoleas
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2sleep

It all sounds practically convenient as an easy solution, just wander if Porsche warranty would have any problems with it.
Old 05-12-2022, 08:57 AM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by patrickoleas
It all sounds practically convenient as an easy solution, just wander if Porsche warranty would have any problems with it.
The manufacturers claim that these devices do not void the warranty. From a practical standpoint, the ECU is not “remapped” therefore it’s not detectable.
patrickoleas (05-12-2022)

Quick Reply: Electronic Throttle Hesitation