Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Electronic Throttle Hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2022, 07:49 AM
spraguedawley
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 55 Posts

same. almost got creamed crossing two lanes of moderate speed traffic. the car just sat there revving, creeping across the road.
Old 04-22-2022, 08:17 AM
NickS
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Gotta say that I've seen all these posts about the throttle controller and refused to get one but the lethargic throttle is making me want to sell the car. Driving in sport all the time isn't the solution either. Guess I'll have to break down and buy one. Who has the best prices on these??
Old 04-22-2022, 09:23 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 978 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
There are plenty of places to hide the controller (ie. under the steering column). Pedalbox and Pedal Commander can be controlled by Bluetooth as well.
Originally Posted by 97c2s993
With pedal commander you can use your phone to make changes in settings (pedal commander app). Everything else including the pedal commander controller can be completely hidden away. I haven't seen or touched mine since installation. We all have our phones with us so it's a no brainer. In my case I also have the rennline phone mount so I can conveniently change the pedal commander settings on the fly. I too use City +1, and if I ever feel i need more I use the paddle shifters.
Thanks that was the info I was looking for. Pedal Commander it is w/ bluetooth!

Last edited by Nickshu; 04-22-2022 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-22-2022, 11:40 AM
Van Larson
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Pedal pusher

I run City +1 PC with custom BGB file/Cobb AP tune and Cete on -20 and -22 F/R through BT and gotta say, transformed my ‘18 Turbo to an impressive fun factor….
The following users liked this post:
NickS (04-22-2022)
Old 04-22-2022, 01:33 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by NickS
Gotta say that I've seen all these posts about the throttle controller and refused to get one but the lethargic throttle is making me want to sell the car. Driving in sport all the time isn't the solution either. Guess I'll have to break down and buy one. Who has the best prices on these??
Best deals to be had are during certain holidays. I purchased a Pedalbox on Black Friday last year and just purchased a Sprint Booster during their Easter sale. With Memorial Day coming up, you should be able to find a deal on the manufacturer's website. Pedal Commander seems to have sales more often. If you're military/veteran, you can get $35 off through GovX.
Old 04-22-2022, 01:56 PM
Olddragger
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

I don't like the concept of the pedal commander etc. It something about suddenly opening the throttle body and the turbos suddenly have to compensate. I rather have a Cobb tune that adjusts all the parameters associated with throttle response...timing, fuel injectors, etc, etc. which should smooth things out considerably. Just one man"s opinion...that's all.
cucu (04-22-2022)
Old 04-22-2022, 02:16 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Olddragger
I don't like the concept of the pedal commander etc. It something about suddenly opening the throttle body and the turbos suddenly have to compensate. I rather have a Cobb tune that adjusts all the parameters associated with throttle response...timing, fuel injectors, etc, etc. which should smooth things out considerably. Just one man"s opinion...that's all.
I have some time so I’ll bite. Whether you tune an ECU or develop a device such as SB, Pedal Commander, Pedal Box, etc.., isn’t it basically tricking the car to behave in a certain way through software/hardware? More importantly, these devices are not directly connected to the ECU but only sends inputs from the gas pedal to the throttle body. If anything, it’s the ECU tune that changes the boost, timing, etc. in order to improve performance. There is zero harm done to the vehicle and no risk to the ECU with these devices and does not increase torque & HP figures. I think that these gadgets help in tapping into the available power quicker which in turn brings greater satisfaction to the driver….potential energy into kinetic energy, so to speak. To each his own.

Last edited by luv2sleep; 04-22-2022 at 02:21 PM.
Old 04-22-2022, 02:49 PM
cucu
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Olddragger
I also don't like the idea of these devices but I do know they can't harm the car in any way. It's important to understand what all these devices actually do. You can train your foot to do exactly the same as a pedal commander would.
Want to take off faster, press the pedal faster and more, that's all.

My reason for not liking them is that I want to believe Porsche engineers had some reason when they mapped the throttle as they did. It would actually make sense if you consider what this car is. It's a Utility SUV, it's not a 911. I wouldn't want the throttle to be so quick, almost on/off like as a pocket rocket sports car. I actually like that I can press the throttle slowly and the car will accelerate slowly. It can equally go very quickly if I press fast and use more travel. There's more control stock without the need to change any settings of a gadget.
jjhasluck (05-26-2022)
Old 04-22-2022, 03:38 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Absolutely…Porsche is smart! They love to upsell just like everyone else. Macan being their entry level vehicle, Porsche would love to turn everyone into a repeat “upgrading “ customer. The truth of matter is, my ‘22 Macan GTS transformed into the very sporty small SUV that I wanted by a simple $280 device. I don’t like anything sluggish on a car. This sluggish gas pedal was enough for me to ditch the car in a hurry. Everyone is different and that’s what makes the world go around.
The following 2 users liked this post by luv2sleep:
cucu (04-22-2022), patrickoleas (05-16-2022)
Old 04-22-2022, 10:26 PM
Olddragger
Instructor

How does the increase throttle tip in affect the transmission? Doesnt the Oem parameters concerning shifting , clutch release etc have throttle position as one of the modifiers?
Old 04-22-2022, 10:27 PM
wbferran
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cucu
I also noticed this throttle response in our new 22 S but to be honest I don't see an issue here. Throttle response is just mapped differently from most other cars. We just need to train ourselves to use more pedal travel and press faster. These gadgets do nothing else apart from this.
this was my first reaction as well - if you need more, just gotta get after it more aggressively. But the pedal commander does sound interesting. I’m a new Porsche owner, and I am pretty happy with the performance and handling. But I also recognize the lag response. You can get your foot into it more, or use Sport mode. Or perhaps the pedal commander.

I will be looking at it. Thx.
Old 04-22-2022, 11:42 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Look at it this way. Before fly-by-wire technology, the throttle body was physically connected to the gas pedal, which meant instant response. These gadgets simulate that. No harm no foul. IMO, many VAG vehicles have sluggish pedals. From my limited experience, BMW has it figured out and is light years ahead.
Old 04-23-2022, 09:06 PM
Olddragger
Instructor

I don't think these devices harm the car....it doesn't change any engine or transmission parameters. By opening the throttle body more in relation to the throttle position just means that one is relying on boost more. The boost maps are somewhat dependent on throttle position...it's not the only thing, but it is part of it. A tune on the other hand can help the power the engine is producing without relying on just boost. A tune does modify the boost parameters also but not until the throttle position...or the load on the engine requires it? I know it is more complex than what I am saying. But think of it this way...the pedal commander is causing the turbochargers to come on line more often.....a tune doesn't necessarily do that. Where that causes any harm....I don't know. I haven't heard of any?
Old 04-24-2022, 01:20 AM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

I think y’all are making this way too difficult. Check out this video:
Old 04-24-2022, 10:03 AM
mvmojo
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts

The Sprint Booster video shows that these devices actually do more than just push the gas pedal faster or farther down as some folks have opined. This mirrors my experience with the Pedal Commander in my GTS. I tried turning it off and simply pressing the gas pedal faster, pressing it farther down faster, pressing it more aggressively, etc., however you want to describe it. In no way could I mimic the throttle response when my Pedal Commander is engaged in City +2 or Sport +0 mode. The closest I can come is to put the car in Sport mode and then aggressively press the gas pedal. On the other end of the spectrum, put Pedal Commander in Eco mode -2 and speed of the throttle response can be measured with a sun dial. I can just imagine a valet getting into the car thinking he's going to hot rod this little SUV since it's a Porsche and finding out (with me leaving PC in Eco mode) that the car will barely get out of it's own way! WTF?? Then I get in it, use my phone to change PC to Sport mode and roar off out of the parking lot like a scalded cat! Pedal Commander is the best $280 I've spent on the car.
Blu311 (05-12-2022)

Quick Reply: Electronic Throttle Hesitation