Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Macan or???

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2022, 08:02 PM
PUZZ1
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 29 Posts

How about this for a curveball - Audi A6 Allroad. Better driving dynamics than an SUV; double clutch transmission; same engine as Macan S; more room in front, rear seat and cargo. The Macan still ranks high on my list to replace my '15 A8 next year but I can't ignore the value of that A6 Allroad. Happy to hear any thoughts.
Old 04-08-2022, 05:33 PM
cucu
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Maybe another SUV to consider would be an Alfa Stelvio. It's the single only car out there with handling even tighter than the Macan. On the other hand, the price gap between the "regular" model and the high powered crazy fast Quadrifoglio is too big. I kept this on my shortlist for a long time but still ended up ordering a new Macan S.

I wholeheartedly disagree with the idea that the Macan is not a "real" Porsche.
Old 04-08-2022, 06:27 PM
VAGfan
Pro

Received 274 Likes on 183 Posts

Beware of the reliability of the Alfa....might make the Macan seem like a Toyota....
The following users liked this post:
peterp (04-08-2022)
Old 04-08-2022, 06:39 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 420 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by VAGfan
Beware of the reliability of the Alfa....might make the Macan seem like a Toyota....
Correct, as an extended warranty issuer, I know a lot of companies that won't even cover them, Freedom Warranty does, but they're put in to the realm of Ferraris and Bentleys because of how often they break, not necessarily the price to fix per breakage.

Official RECARO Automotive Retailer: www.highline-autos.com/product-category/recaro/

Highline Autos Magazine - Volume XXI, Issue 02 https://bit.ly/49A6n4M

Old 04-08-2022, 06:50 PM
peterp
Three Wheelin'

Received 663 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by cucu
Maybe another SUV to consider would be an Alfa Stelvio. It's the single only car out there with handling even tighter than the Macan. On the other hand, the price gap between the "regular" model and the high powered crazy fast Quadrifoglio is too big. I kept this on my shortlist for a long time but still ended up ordering a new Macan S.

I wholeheartedly disagree with the idea that the Macan is not a "real" Porsche.
I've not owned a Stelvia, but the reliability I agree with @VAGfan that the reliability reputation doesn't seem to be great. I also don't like the way the Stelvias look in real life. They look great in pictures, I was looking forward to seeing one when they first came out, but when I see them live, most of them look a bit like a Kia in the front end. I'd be fine with the base model Stelvia -- I don't really need more performance than the Base Stelvia or Macan delivers, but reliability concerns prevented me from even considering a Stelvia.

Pre-covid, the Alfa Giulia's could be bought extremely cheaply -- I used to see year-old models for $22k, but a quick glance now shows they have run up on price like everything else during/post Covid.

Old 04-12-2022, 10:30 AM
Olddragger
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 53 Posts

I totally support having a warrenty. Unless you have a dang good independent that can handle all possibilities. Repairs are very expensive and Porsche regulates what parts it will sell to the public. Please reference my thread concerning the transmission for one example.
I have been around and worked on cars all my life and I am 72 years old. My family continues to run a dirt track in the south. I feel in love with road racing after drag racing for a number of years. I am not a mechanic by profession but I do consider myself to have a fairly strong base of understanding and can actually do a lot of the work on old and new cars. However with it comes to some of the modern canbus systems I will holler "uncle" and farm it out!
My point is.... the Macan is a great design and a good...not great...car. Porsche repair support after warrenty is below poor. So if a person wants to keep the car past warrenty....be careful and have your ducks in a row because the possibility of a repair (that only the dealer can do because no one else can get the part needed) exist than could cost more than 75% of the cars value. Either keep a good warrenty, know a good independant that can work around issues or have deep pockets if you buy a Macan and plan on keeping it.
My over $100,000 list price Macan turbo is having to be repaired using a part sourced from a junk yard. It has been at my independant shop approx 2 months now and it is almost done. It took a while in sourcing what we needed. I kick myself every day by not getting a very extended warrenty. I have a 2015 turbo with 66000 miles.
I think the base model has the less amount of problems? It also drives"lighter".The newer models (20-22) haven't been around long enough to really tell. Do get the air suspension..makes a lot of difference. If you buy an older model get one that has the rear air vents. The rest of all the options are just personnel preferences. Still can't believe mine with all the options on it still doesn't have lights over the sun visors .....ladies like those for makeup application!
I don't want to sound too negative. Porsche is not the only car in which it is expensive to repair. Heck everything is costing more now a days. There are many many Macan owners that have never had to face repair issues. I have not been able to find another small suv with the interior quality and the handling (for an suv) that the Macan provides so I am trying to find ways in keeping mine.
The following users liked this post:
peterp (04-12-2022)
Old 04-12-2022, 03:38 PM
peterp
Three Wheelin'

Received 663 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by Olddragger
I totally support having a warrenty. Unless you have a dang good independent that can handle all possibilities. Repairs are very expensive and Porsche regulates what parts it will sell to the public. Please reference my thread concerning the transmission for one example.
I have been around and worked on cars all my life and I am 72 years old. My family continues to run a dirt track in the south. I feel in love with road racing after drag racing for a number of years. I am not a mechanic by profession but I do consider myself to have a fairly strong base of understanding and can actually do a lot of the work on old and new cars. However with it comes to some of the modern canbus systems I will holler "uncle" and farm it out!
My point is.... the Macan is a great design and a good...not great...car. Porsche repair support after warrenty is below poor. So if a person wants to keep the car past warrenty....be careful and have your ducks in a row because the possibility of a repair (that only the dealer can do because no one else can get the part needed) exist than could cost more than 75% of the cars value. Either keep a good warrenty, know a good independant that can work around issues or have deep pockets if you buy a Macan and plan on keeping it.
My over $100,000 list price Macan turbo is having to be repaired using a part sourced from a junk yard. It has been at my independant shop approx 2 months now and it is almost done. It took a while in sourcing what we needed. I kick myself every day by not getting a very extended warrenty. I have a 2015 turbo with 66000 miles.
I think the base model has the less amount of problems? It also drives"lighter".The newer models (20-22) haven't been around long enough to really tell. Do get the air suspension..makes a lot of difference. If you buy an older model get one that has the rear air vents. The rest of all the options are just personnel preferences. Still can't believe mine with all the options on it still doesn't have lights over the sun visors .....ladies like those for makeup application!
I don't want to sound too negative. Porsche is not the only car in which it is expensive to repair. Heck everything is costing more now a days. There are many many Macan owners that have never had to face repair issues. I have not been able to find another small suv with the interior quality and the handling (for an suv) that the Macan provides so I am trying to find ways in keeping mine.
Great post. All true in my opinion. I have always had new cars serviced by dealers. The Macan is the first that has forced me to finally deviate from that. I've had quotes with parts very, very far above Porsche MSRP and insane labor hours for trivial tasks, I've been lied to outright regarding a warranty issue. Even a better quote from a different dealer with appropriate parts costs had a better, but still ridiculous, quote for labor -- it's just more than I can bear. It's not just the financial impact, the whole thing is just personally offensive. I'll still do oil changes and have PDK service done by the dealer, but they've forced me to have the attitude that everything else I'm going to have done elsewhere or even do myself.

Porsche NA should take notice of this crap because it has turned me off the brand entirely. Porsche should establish maximum time quotes for jobs and maximum parts rates that dealers are allowed to charge, because it's indefensible and there is damage to Porsche corporate (I will not buy another new Porsche because of this). I just looked at a Tesla and they have practically no maintenance at all (wiper service, tire rotation) -- long-term operational costs (fuel costs and maintenance) are a tiny fraction.
Old 04-12-2022, 08:51 PM
Olddragger
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 53 Posts

I agree. The things that dealerships do are like an insult to ones intelligent. Then Porsche's says " Too bad...you don't have a choice!" ( about some things..not everything). I seriously do not understand their business model.
All in all though I choose to keep my Macan for the moment...due to the crazy times we are in and the fact that I like the car. I hate the unreliability mine has given me ( multiple problems) but maybe I just got one that was built on the wrong day.

Quick Reply: Macan or???