Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Cayenne vs Macan ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2021 | 09:08 PM
Gary S.
Advanced

I have a '15 Cayenne diesel and a '19 Macan S. The Cayenne replaced an Avalanche so to me it's a small suv. The Macan feels more like a sports car in comparison. Due to the Avalanche's bulk and mileage the Macan was more of the "running" around vehicle but now the Cayenne can pick up some of that duty. Just got back from a 3K trip which we've made numerous times before in the Macan and Avalanche. Cayenne is the best for comfort and it's long legs,the Macan is a close second only because of it's smaller capacity. Right now I'm happy with both choices.
Old 12-15-2021 | 12:26 AM
offagain
Instructor

I had a 958 Cayenne S and now have a 2021 Macan S. Loved the Cayenne and it was a great car. But the Macan is much sharper and point-to-point its much faster. The Cayenne was suspiciously good at what it did and was very impressive, but the Macan is a much more targeted driving experience. The downside though is that the Macan is smaller though - rear legroom isnt as good as the Cayenne and clearly the trunk is smaller. So you pay a price, but I did read a review about the Macan though - basically its a slightly larger hot hatch - which I think is a great summary, while the Cayenne is really an SUV.
Old 12-15-2021 | 09:46 AM
MrMarco
Pro

Eh-um, There's a bit of "hot hatch" inspiration in the Macan but it's a stretch to call it that.
BMW Mini JCW
VW GTi
HONDA Civic Type R
if the Macan wasn't so FAT (a couple thousand pounds fatter) it would be worthy of the title. You can call your vehicle whatever you want... first time I hit the big pedal hard I quickly realized how FAT this vehicle really is. Foolish of me to think it would stop like my 911.
The following users liked this post:
mrcarlo (04-29-2023)
Old 12-15-2021 | 12:26 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MrMarco
Eh-um, There's a bit of "hot hatch" inspiration in the Macan but it's a stretch to call it that.
BMW Mini JCW
VW GTi
HONDA Civic Type R
if the Macan wasn't so FAT (a couple thousand pounds fatter) it would be worthy of the title. You can call your vehicle whatever you want... first time I hit the big pedal hard I quickly realized how FAT this vehicle really is. Foolish of me to think it would stop like my 911.
I can’t have an Audi RS4 and the RS6 is over a year wait, if I can get an allocation and that’s a big IF. None of the hot hatches that you’ve listed excite me. I don’t mean to sound snotty. My son has a GTI and it’s a fun car but not enough punch and grip. I have a S3 but not enough either. I own a Mini Cooper S but again, no hookup with FWD and too small. I don’t expect the new Macan GTS to handle like a supercar. I just need it to be “fun enough” to the airport and back. The ‘22 GTS is supposedly the sportiest Macan to date so we shall see.

Last edited by luv2sleep; 12-15-2021 at 12:37 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by luv2sleep:
MrMarco (12-15-2021), tarrat (12-16-2021)
Old 12-15-2021 | 07:34 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Great thread - thanks for the discussion as I, too, am pondering the same question.

I have an '09 Cayenne Turbo that I'm looking to move on for either one of these models...just not sure yet as to which one. The Cayenne has been a great vehicle thus far but I'm ready to move up to a newer model in the next few months and the Macan has caught my attention as a potential alternate choice. The towing and back seat capacities are note worthy differences...

Appreciate the insight offered thus far.
Old 12-15-2021 | 09:57 PM
MrMarco
Pro

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
I can’t have an Audi RS4 and the RS6 is over a year wait, if I can get an allocation and that’s a big IF. None of the hot hatches that you’ve listed excite me. I don’t mean to sound snotty. My son has a GTI and it’s a fun car but not enough punch and grip. I have a S3 but not enough either. I own a Mini Cooper S but again, no hookup with FWD and too small. I don’t expect the new Macan GTS to handle like a supercar. I just need it to be “fun enough” to the airport and back. The ‘22 GTS is supposedly the sportiest Macan to date so we shall see.
I've been wanting a GTi or Cooper for am in town runner and jumped off my couch about an hour ago when I found a beautiful, loaded 2015 JCW popped up on CL for $15K. I quickly convinced myself that it was such a great price... till I scrolled to see 125,000 miles. I forgot what happened to car "values." Perhaps I should have kept that Jetta Wagon
Old 12-16-2021 | 08:41 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

BMW Mini JCW
VW GTi
HONDA Civic Type R
We have a Golf R. No way the Macan classifies as a "hot hatch". Maybe in spirit, but too heavy, too SUV, and too powerful to be what a hot hatch is. Maybe the Base Macan is closest. Golf R is a ton of fun to drive around town. OK on the highway but not the most comfortable seats for long drives IMO. Plenty of power for altitude and mountains, but with 4 people in it you do feel the weight.

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
My buddy has been trying to get an RS6 for 2 years. Audi kept pushing his allocation back. He finally put his official order in about 2 weeks ago...and guess what? Audi said he should expect delivery in another 12 months. Geez. Seems like Audi is doing everything they can to not build the RS6 LOL.

Badass car though.

Last edited by Nickshu; 12-16-2021 at 08:44 AM.
MrMarco (12-16-2021)
Old 12-16-2021 | 09:50 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

del
Old 12-16-2021 | 12:02 PM
MrMarco
Pro

I've been wanting a GTi or Cooper for am in town runner and jumped off my couch about an hour ago when I found a beautiful, loaded 2015 JCW popped up on CL for $15K. I quickly convinced myself that it was such a great price... till I scrolled to see 125,000 miles. I forgot what happened to car "values." Perhaps I should have kept that Jetta Wagon
I'm not sure what happened, either my eyes are old or the add for the JCW Mini was changed to 2014 now. $15K for a '14 Mini with 125K miles. I don't know what the future car market and prices will reveal but I really don't like the zero selection and high's of today.
Old 12-16-2021 | 02:57 PM
Slam08
Instructor

I currently have a 2011 CTT and came here bc I was thinking of buying a macan.

I can tell you that the macan is a better vehicle in almost every way, except size. Get a Cayenne if you need the size. I needed one but now my kids are older and not in strollers and big car seats anymore so looking to downsize.

the drive is different. The Macan was benchmarked after a 911 if I remember correctly. It’s lower to the ground than the Cayenne and the Macan drives much more like a car. The Cayenne is definitely an SUV. It a great handling SUV with PDCC and PTV+, but it’s still a big SUV and the Macan is better if you don’t need the size.
luv2sleep (12-16-2021)
Old 12-16-2021 | 03:09 PM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Slam08
I currently have a 2011 CTT and came here bc I was thinking of buying a macan.

I can tell you that the macan is a better vehicle in almost every way, except size. Get a Cayenne if you need the size. I needed one but now my kids are older and not in strollers and big car seats anymore so looking to downsize.
Disagree. My '21 GTS Cayenne is build like a brick s**t house. The tightest Porsche SUV and maybe tightest of all non-GT offerings. My friend's Macan turbo is not as "sturdy".
The following 2 users liked this post by XLR82XS:
drcollie (12-27-2021), MrMarco (12-16-2021)
Old 12-16-2021 | 10:51 PM
wwahl
Pro

Originally Posted by Nickshu
We have a Golf R. No way the Macan classifies as a "hot hatch". Maybe in spirit, but too heavy, too SUV, and too powerful to be what a hot hatch is. Maybe the Base Macan is closest. Golf R is a ton of fun to drive around town. OK on the highway but not the most comfortable seats for long drives IMO. Plenty of power for altitude and mountains, but with 4 people in it you do feel the weight.

My buddy has been trying to get an RS6 for 2 years. Audi kept pushing his allocation back. He finally put his official order in about 2 weeks ago...and guess what? Audi said he should expect delivery in another 12 months. Geez. Seems like Audi is doing everything they can to not build the RS6 LOL.

Badass car though.

$142,995. Those things are priced in Porsche numbers!
Old 12-17-2021 | 02:30 AM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nickshu

Badass car though.

Originally Posted by wwahl
$142,995. Those things are priced in Porsche numbers!
4.0TT in that beast is glorious! Maybe in a couple of years...
Old 12-17-2021 | 12:49 PM
johnp777777
3rd Gear

Former 911 owner (996.1 Base & 997.1 S) here. Bought those when we became empty nesters and turned 50. When we retired, we wanted (some) of the thrill of the 911 back but something easier for a senior to get in and out of. Treated ourselves to a 2021 Macan Turbo because we don't need a large SUV like the Cayenne. We only have grandkids in the back seat so the limited room is fine for a couple car seats. Our other cars are a 2015 Highlander and 2000 Wrangler.
Old 12-17-2021 | 01:06 PM
johnp777777
3rd Gear

My 2021 Macan Turbo has better acceleration than my 2006 911S (0-60 4.1 vs 4.6) and near top speed (167 vs 177) and handles "almost" as good with the torque vectoring steering. Rated gas mileage is similar too but I don't think I'll get as good on a long trip. The 911S actually consistently pulled in 25+ MPG on highway trips. I always regretted getting rid of that 911 but in my senior years, the Macan is a great replacement. It just makes me giggle every time I mash the gas pedal.
The following 2 users liked this post by johnp777777:
beaverlake (12-18-2021), Jay Wellwood (12-18-2021)

Quick Reply: Cayenne vs Macan ?