Protecting Leather Dash

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2021, 10:57 AM
DocJ
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Protecting Leather Dash

Hello, friends....

Happy owner of a '21 GTS. Splurged and ordered it Chalk over Espresso leather. Just a stinkin' beautiful ride!! My question is, does the collective thoughts here think I should use a windshield cover all thru the year to protect the leather dash from UV radiation? The Natural Leather used is a bit softer than the normal leather package. TIA for your thoughts.
Old 11-20-2021, 11:20 AM
spraguedawley
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by DocJ
Hello, friends....

Happy owner of a '21 GTS. Splurged and ordered it Chalk over Espresso leather. Just a stinkin' beautiful ride!! My question is, does the collective thoughts here think I should use a windshield cover all thru the year to protect the leather dash from UV radiation? The Natural Leather used is a bit softer than the normal leather package. TIA for your thoughts.
Natural espresso is one of the nicest interiors I have ever seen. Congrats. If you have it it certainly would not hurt to use the windshield cover all the time. A more convenient option would be a UV blocking ceramic coating on the windshield and panoramic roof.
Old 11-20-2021, 11:41 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 932 Likes on 563 Posts

Nice combination.
+1 on the windshield cover, though can't be used while driving.

I have the ceramic on everything, including all the glass. Though I suspect the windshield cleaning has taken some off.
Old 11-20-2021, 04:19 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 999 Likes on 667 Posts

As far as I know Porsche uses bonded leather so it's not like natural leather that will dry out. That being said I always use a sunshade when parked on all my vehicles.
Old 11-20-2021, 04:21 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Sunshade
Zaino Z10
Aerospace 303

Winning
Old 11-20-2021, 04:45 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,355 Likes on 1,526 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickshu
As far as I know Porsche uses bonded leather so it's not like natural leather that will dry out. That being said I always use a sunshade when parked on all my vehicles.
Sorry, but that's not correct - Porsche does not use bonded leather anywhere in their vehicles. They use either finished or semi-aniline top grain leather and it will not "dry out" per se, but should be cleaned and conditioned at least every 6 months. where most people get into trouble with that maintenance is 1) they neglect to do it 2) they use an all-in-one product. It should be a two-step process, a cleaner THEN a conditioner. Do that maintenace 2 to 4 times a year and you won't have any issues over time. The Espresso is a semi-aniline (I have that in one of my three Porsches), the other two are finished leathers.

What is Bonded Leather? I happen to be in the leather upholstery business, and the scraps from hides at the factory are collected in bins, which are then sold by a per pound price to a jobber who ships them to China for processing. Here's bins full of scrap leather from Hancock and Moore's factory in Hickory NC. The leather is then sorted once it gets to its destination and then pieces not usable to make things like key fobs and the like are chemically melted into a slurry and applied over a polypropylene sheet (essentially plastic) and then sealed with a top sheet, basically its a leather particle sandwich, but there is none of the strength and durability of top grain leather. Eventually the "leather" begins to peel, and that's actually the top sheet delaminating. Never buy bonded leather, if you do, then know it certainly will fail over time.

Last edited by drcollie; 11-20-2021 at 04:46 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by drcollie:
Liste-Renn (11-26-2021), Noah Fect (11-22-2021), Schwarz992C4S (11-20-2021), Terry Adams (11-20-2021)
Old 11-20-2021, 06:15 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 999 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
Sorry, but that's not correct - Porsche does not use bonded leather anywhere in their vehicles. They use either finished or semi-aniline top grain leather and it will not "dry out" per se, but should be cleaned and conditioned at least every 6 months. where most people get into trouble with that maintenance is 1) they neglect to do it 2) they use an all-in-one product. It should be a two-step process, a cleaner THEN a conditioner. Do that maintenace 2 to 4 times a year and you won't have any issues over time. The Espresso is a semi-aniline (I have that in one of my three Porsches), the other two are finished leathers.

What is Bonded Leather? I happen to be in the leather upholstery business, and the scraps from hides at the factory are collected in bins, which are then sold by a per pound price to a jobber who ships them to China for processing. Here's bins full of scrap leather from Hancock and Moore's factory in Hickory NC. The leather is then sorted once it gets to its destination and then pieces not usable to make things like key fobs and the like are chemically melted into a slurry and applied over a polypropylene sheet (essentially plastic) and then sealed with a top sheet, basically its a leather particle sandwich, but there is none of the strength and durability of top grain leather. Eventually the "leather" begins to peel, and that's actually the top sheet delaminating. Never buy bonded leather, if you do, then know it certainly will fail over time.
Good to know thank you. Makes me feel better about the option price on the full leather option on my incoming Macan GTS.

Last edited by Nickshu; 11-20-2021 at 06:21 PM.
Old 11-20-2021, 07:02 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Just get crystalline 3m window tint on the windshield.
Old 11-20-2021, 10:20 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 322 Likes on 194 Posts

dr, what products do you recommend for cleaning and conditioning?
Old 11-20-2021, 10:30 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by DocJ
Hello, friends....
First and foremost, protect that dash and the front interior from heat and sunlight.
Here is the way I do it:
Always park in the shade and/or with the back of the car facing the sun.
Keep the interior of the car cooler, by tilting the rear of the sunroof up and cracking the door windows just a bit.
Tint the windshield and door windows with the lightest nano-tech UV blocking film.
Clean & use a decent leather preservation cream several times a year.
"THATS THE WAY TO DO IT!"
The following users liked this post:
Nickshu (11-21-2021)
Old 11-21-2021, 12:44 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 254 Posts

heatshieldstore.com I've used these for almost 15 years. They last about 7-8 years of daily, fanatical use, trust me.
Sunshield in every car, every day, year-round, always put it in place, even for short trips. All of my leather/non-leather dashes look brand new.
Old 11-21-2021, 02:04 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,170 Likes on 2,169 Posts

A very light ceramic tint with high heat rejection on all windows is best for protecting the interior. It doesn't have to be dark to be effective with the new technology. Keep in mind windshield tint it not legal in all states. If light, you shouldn't have any issues, but you may need to get a note from your optometrist if you have issues with law enforcement.

Here's another option: https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...SABEgI1KPD_BwE
Old 11-21-2021, 04:41 PM
spraguedawley
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
Nice combination.
+1 on the windshield cover, though can't be used while driving.

I have the ceramic on everything, including all the glass. Though I suspect the windshield cleaning has taken some off.
I am not supposed to use the windshield cover while driving? Jeez! That would explain all of the accidents I have been having.
The following 2 users liked this post by spraguedawley:
Pavegeno928 (11-21-2021), Terry Adams (11-21-2021)
Old 11-23-2021, 05:33 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,176 Likes on 1,835 Posts

Apply heat rejection film to your windshield, pano roof and all windows. It won't just protect your interior against heat and UV rays but it'll keep it much cooler. And you won't have to deal with the clumsy shields. I can't stand using them.

Quick Reply: Protecting Leather Dash