Pro

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

improvement?

...set phasers to stun...
Old 10-08-2021, 03:35 PM
Van Larson
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 109 Posts

Yes, I have the UK sourced Goodrich SS lines w/Motul RBF fluid and Disc Italia ceramic pads on oem rotors. Noticeable but not night and day improvement in “Feel” but I have spent $$ more foolishly….
Old 10-09-2021, 02:28 PM
schnell
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Default One more data point

New 2021 GTS with red caliper iron brakes... now with about 2500 miles on it. No explicit bedding process for the brakes undertaken, but I have certainly used them heavily on mountain roads and let them cool before stressing them again. So maybe I "accidentally" bedded them in. I have done bedding for track brakes on other Porsches in the past, but didn't think about formal bedding with street brakes.

Bottom line: the GTS brakes are powerful, and up there with the best brakes I have experienced. Smooth and responsive. If I go for the brake pedal suddenly in response to a traffic situation, yes, they do engage quickly and forcefully, but I take that as reassuring. They are easy to modulate under normal stopping conditions...definitely not what I would call grabby.

The only negative is that since driving a manual transmission vehicle, I am used to coming off the brake pedal at the last moment when stopping to let the springs uncompress as the vehicle coasts to a stop the last few inches. As with a traditional automatic transmission, the PDK is programmed to "creep" with the brakes off from a stop, so it is impossible to completely remove your foot from the brake pedal when stopping or you will continue to move forward. Best I can do so far is reduce pedal pressure as the vehicle comes to a stop to minimize the spring rebound. I would be happy to have the PDK keep the clutches disengaged until some miniscule amount of accelerator pedal was applied.
Old 02-25-2022, 06:12 PM
toughen
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BradB
For reference, I have a 2017 GTS (purchased new) and have never experienced grabby or shuddering brakes. The scenario you are experiencing is not normal at all, assuming you have OEM parts and they are not worn beyond service levels.

The very first thing I would do is drive another Macan. If that drives/brakes the same then you are a very sensitive fellow and we probably can't help you.

I agree with Petza914's diagnosis. I've had this happen to other cars and have solved it by either cleaning the pads and rotors as described or going through a proper bedding-in (or (re)bedding-in) procedure with your brakes. I do a bedding-in procedure for all new brake pads, street and track.

A (re)bedding-in procedure can often clean transferred compound deposits so that would be my first approach at helping the situation. Safety first, find an isolated stretch of straight road or highway where you can implement repeated hard braking cycles to bring the pads and rotors up to near maximum temperatures. Not to the point of inducing fade. Google "brake pad bedding" for more detailed explanations of theory and technique. It's easy and takes all of 10 minutes. In a nutshell my method is to find a straight highway, drive 60-70 mph apply brakes HARD until car slows to 20-30 mph. Accelerate immediately and repeat 7-10 times. Then reduce max speed by half and repeat procedure 4-5 more times. I then drive home letting the brakes cool. It's important not to do this and not just immediately park the car. This bedding-in procedure will easily double the heat you would normally generate during day to day driving. The heat-sync is high so gradual cooling is necessary. When you get home you will "smell" your work. That's a good sign! Again, Google the bedding procedure and be safe. This has worked for me many, many times. And it's free.

If this bedding procedure doesn't help then clean the pads and rotors as described. If that doesn't help then clean the rotors and replace the pads. It's worth noting that in my experience 90% of the time the issue is with the front pads.
I just test drive a 2022 macan s, the brake pedal
travel are longgggg... compared to my AMG,

Quick Reply: Any way to improve brake feel?