Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Deciding between Base Macan and Macan S

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2021 | 12:39 PM
VintageRacer477
Racer

We bought the "S" because the Base I had as a loaner when the 991 was in for service damn-near killed me when I tried to cross 3 lanes of traffic and flooring the gas pedal did NOTHING for a second or two. Yes. I have had similar events with the "S", but only when NOT in Sport mode. Do we always drive in "Sport"? No. Only when we want more power such as in situations as described. When in normal mode it does have better throttle response than the Base did. And, I'm considering a "Sprint Booster" like one I had on a previous car. There is Thread on this list. Search for "Sprint Booster."

You say you won't be doing many Interstate Highway miles. Why not? It is a great highway cruiser. Although my 991 can get better fuel consumption at highway speeds.

As for options, we use the seat ventilation a lot. We have Lane Change Assist, but wish we had Lane Keep Assist. The Adaptive Cruise Control is nice to have also, although if you don't do highways, it may not matter. The Pano Roof is useless. I had it in 2 previous SUV's and in one of them a 25-cent part broke and it cost $2,000 to have it fixed at an Indi when the dealer wanted $3,000. Why so expensive? Because they had to remove it and put it on the shop floor to replace that part.

Someone mentioned the Air Suspension. The good of that is it allows you to lower the Mac.a bit. Makes it easier for we seniors to get in & out (unless you and your "regular" passenger have long legs. I don't—short legs & long arms, built for Italian cars and had 4 Alfa's over the years in which I fit quite well.)

Other than that, if you keep it for the planned 10 years, you need to find a good Independent Porsche shop for your service. The latest Annual service on my 991 only cost $400 for oil change and brake flush. The filters were changed a year ago and were still clean as I only drove it 1500 miles during the Pandemic. You can expect similar with the Mac.

Finally, while good cars of any kind are hard to find right now, you may want to search for a CPO'd Mac S. You can save a lot by letting a previous owner take the first year hit.

Last edited by VintageRacer477; 05-06-2021 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-06-2021 | 01:08 PM
Peedue
AutoX

Originally Posted by VintageRacer477
We bought the "S" because the Base I had as a loaner when the 991 was in for service damn-near killed me when I tried to cross 3 lanes of traffic and flooring the gas pedal did NOTHING for a second or two. Yes. I have had similar events with the "S", but only when NOT in Sport mode. Do we always drive in "Sport"? No. Only when we want more power such as in situations as described. When in normal mode it does have better throttle response than the Base did. And, I'm considering a "Sprint Booster" like one I had on a previous car. There is Thread on this list. Search for "Sprint Booster."

You say you won't be doing many Interstate Highway miles. Why not? It is a great highway cruiser. Although my 991 can get better fuel consumption at highway speeds.

As for options, we use the seat ventilation a lot. We have Lane Change Assist, but wish we had Lane Keep Assist. The Adaptive Cruise Control is nice to have also, although if you don't do highways, it may not matter. The Pano Roof is useless. I had it in 2 previous SUV's and in one of them a 25-cent part broke and it cost $2,000 to have it fixed at an Indi when the dealer wanted $3,000. Why so expensive? Because they had to remove it and put it on the shop floor to replace that part.

Someone mentioned the Air Suspension. The good of that is it allows you to lower the Mac.a bit. Makes it easier for we seniors to get in & out (unless you and your "regular" passenger have long legs. I don't—short legs & long arms, built for Italian cars and had 4 Alfa's over the years in which I fit quite well.)

Other than that, if you keep it for the planned 10 years, you need to find a good Independent Porsche shop for your service. The latest Annual service on my 991 only cost $400 for oil change and brake flush. The filters were changed a year ago and were still clean as I only drove it 1500 miles during the Pandemic. You can expect similar with the Mac.

Finally, while good cars of any kind are hard to find right now, you may want to search for a CPO'd Mac S. You can save a lot by letting a previous owner take the first year hit.
Thanks for your input, appreciate it.

Quick Reply: Deciding between Base Macan and Macan S