Macan 2014-Current

Sound coming from center console on 2018 Macan S

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2021, 12:57 PM
mekkiz
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Sound coming from center console on 2018 Macan S

A few weeks ago I was lucky enough to get my first Porsche, a 2018 Macan S. I love it.

This week when I was doing a few quick trips within the city, I noticed a sound coming from the center console. It sounds like these old hard drives loading in computers, and its coming from behind the clock. It is not constant.
Does anyone recognize this? Did anyone have to deal with this?

I'm going to the garage next week so will point it out there, but was hoping to get some preliminary information.
Old 01-08-2021, 01:36 PM
CPOMacanS
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It could be the sound of your PDK shifting gears? They make unusual sounds (as compared to what most drivers are used to hearing when a transmission shifts) when up or down shifting. Perhaps see if you only notice the sound when the car's shifting gears. If not, then I have no idea what it might be. I have a 2017 Macan S and have only noticed the shifting sounds as something unusual or at least something I'm not familiar with, FWIW.
Old 01-08-2021, 02:09 PM
mekkiz
Intermediate

Thanks, thats a great point to start looking into. I'll update here if that's it.
Old 01-08-2021, 06:29 PM
mekkiz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CPOMacanS
It could be the sound of your PDK shifting gears? They make unusual sounds (as compared to what most drivers are used to hearing when a transmission shifts) when up or down shifting. Perhaps see if you only notice the sound when the car's shifting gears. If not, then I have no idea what it might be. I have a 2017 Macan S and have only noticed the shifting sounds as something unusual or at least something I'm not familiar with, FWIW.
I just checked and I don't think that is it. Even without having it in gear the sound is there, as soon as I turn the ignition. I took a video where you hear the sound straight away a few times (where i also noticed a little crack in the windshield, am I going to regret this car? :/), you can find it here . This is without having moved the car, and having it in park
Old 01-08-2021, 06:38 PM
CPOMacanS
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, it's definitely not the sound / sounds that emanate from the PDK. Best to have that looked at, especially as it seems fairly easy for you to replicate at will. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
mekkiz (01-08-2021)
Old 01-09-2021, 09:59 AM
mvmojo
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts

That sounds like some sort of damper or latch is trying to open/close and failing. Maybe it has to do with whether or not air is allowed to come out of the top vents. Check this setting. I'm sure it's something that the dealer can fix.
Old 01-09-2021, 09:21 PM
Alex K.
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Have same sound in mine, only happens occasionally.
Old 01-09-2021, 11:14 PM
mvmojo
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts

With a Piwis the dealer can "exercise" all the various "flaps" for air conditioning, defrost, heater, etc. This really sounds like some sort of flap is repeatedly opening and closing, perhaps because of a failed/failing solenoid?
Old 01-13-2021, 01:08 AM
mekkiz
Intermediate

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I brought the car to the garage yesterday and picked it up today. Obviously when I brought it in I suddenly could not reproduce the sound anymore, but thankfully I had the video. They had a look and suspected it was what some people already suggested; the "flaps" not in sync (or something like that). They reset all of them and when I picked. it up today, I didn't get any sound. So it seems fixed and was what people here suggested. I love that this community has so much knowledge .

On a side note; as a loaner they gave me an Audi Q3 base model. When I got my Porsche back I appreciated it even more, what a huge difference!
Old 01-13-2021, 01:56 AM
Alex K.
Advanced

Originally Posted by mekkiz
Thanks everyone for your responses.

I brought the car to the garage yesterday and picked it up today. Obviously when I brought it in I suddenly could not reproduce the sound anymore, but thankfully I had the video. They had a look and suspected it was what some people already suggested; the "flaps" not in sync (or something like that). They reset all of them and when I picked. it up today, I didn't get any sound. So it seems fixed and was what people here suggested. I love that this community has so much knowledge .

On a side note; as a loaner they gave me an Audi Q3 base model. When I got my Porsche back I appreciated it even more, what a huge difference!
Oh my, that Q3 is just dangerous. Drove it for a few in Colorado mountains. The flat trunk is amazing though.

Any chance you can share the video? I will show it to my dealership as well.
Old 01-13-2021, 01:59 AM
mekkiz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Alex K.
Oh my, that Q3 is just dangerous. Drove it for a few in Colorado mountains. The flat trunk is amazing though.

Any chance you can share the video? I will show it to my dealership as well.
Of course, this is the link (make sure your audio is up): https://streamable.com/8f5xy8
Old 01-13-2021, 02:11 AM
Alex K.
Advanced

thanks!

Quick Reply: Sound coming from center console on 2018 Macan S