Macan 2014-Current

Ceramic Brake Pads -- Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2020, 11:13 AM
JustinCase
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Ceramic Brake Pads -- Help!

Ever since my wife got her 2016 Macan S (in 2015, 3.0 liter, 340 hp), I have been looking for good ceramic brake pads with the correct fitment to replace the dusty OEM pads. I have Hawk ceramic pads on my 997 and I love them. It seems everyone has Rear pads, but no one has Front pads..

2-3 years ago, Tire Rack offered both, and I ordered them. Then TR called me to say the Fronts were delayed. A couple of months later, they called to cancel the order as Hawk was not going to supply the Fronts at all. As of this morning, TR does not sell any Front ceramic brake pads for this car.

Where can I get a good set of ceramic brake pads for my wife's car. What make and part #? Five years of constantly cleaning brake dust off the wheels and having them get dirty 10 minutes later is taking a lot of joy out of owning the Macan S.

Old 12-14-2020, 12:16 PM
runbuh
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinCase
Ever since my wife got her 2016 Macan S (in 2015, 3.0 liter, 340 hp), I have been looking for good ceramic brake pads with the correct fitment to replace the dusty OEM pads. I have Hawk ceramic pads on my 997 and I love them. It seems everyone has Rear pads, but no one has Front pads..

2-3 years ago, Tire Rack offered both, and I ordered them. Then TR called me to say the Fronts were delayed. A couple of months later, they called to cancel the order as Hawk was not going to supply the Fronts at all. As of this morning, TR does not sell any Front ceramic brake pads for this car.

Where can I get a good set of ceramic brake pads for my wife's car. What make and part #? Five years of constantly cleaning brake dust off the wheels and having them get dirty 10 minutes later is taking a lot of joy out of owning the Macan S.
Check with carid.com (you can call or chat with them). I believe you will have Akebono, Centric, and Hawk options.
Let us know what you get, and what the part numbers are!

Last edited by runbuh; 12-14-2020 at 12:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rasetsu (12-15-2020)
Old 12-14-2020, 06:48 PM
JustinCase
Racer

Originally Posted by runbuh
Check with carid.com (you can call or chat with them). I believe you will have Akebono, Centric, and Hawk options.
Let us know what you get, and what the part numbers are!
Virtually ALL the usual vendors have Rear pads, but no Front pads. I called the sources, too (i.e., Hawk, Akebono) to confirm, which they did. I am not interested in Centric as they are made in China. I did find one source that has been using an off-label part for Fronts and has had nothing but success. My mechanic looked at what I found and told me to bring them in for a physical measurement to see if they would really work and be safe, which I am doing. If this works, I'll spread the word.
runbuh (12-14-2020)
Old 12-15-2020, 01:36 AM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts

Not sure if Ferodo makes Macan pads but I put them on my 911 and they are fantastic....and 80% less dust.
Old 12-15-2020, 02:28 PM
runbuh
Pro

Originally Posted by SoCal C2S
Not sure if Ferodo makes Macan pads but I put them on my 911 and they are fantastic....and 80% less dust.
Is there something, or someone, more useful than their web site?

Old 12-15-2020, 02:35 PM
Van Larson
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Ceramic pads

I have been quite pleased with Disc Italia ceramics all around on my ‘18 Turbo. Brakeworld. No affiliation and they are not inexpensive.
Old 12-15-2020, 05:26 PM
smohr33
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 90 Posts

Happy with Centric Ceramic on my GTS. Very low dust, perfect good pad for a daily driver.
Old 12-15-2020, 09:12 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 885 Likes on 543 Posts

You may want to check CarID again. Shows that they have Hawks for fronts. I'm pretty sure there are Akebonos for the rears. I have a GTS so finding ceramic pads for that is slim pickings. I went with Powerstops. I know the company is US based but don't really know where they are made in. In my situation, beggars can't be choosers.
Old 12-15-2020, 10:22 PM
JustinCase
Racer

Originally Posted by rasetsu
You may want to check CarID again. Shows that they have Hawks for fronts. I'm pretty sure there are Akebonos for the rears. I have a GTS so finding ceramic pads for that is slim pickings. I went with Powerstops. I know the company is US based but don't really know where they are made in. In my situation, beggars can't be choosers.
I specifically asked Hawk about the "Fronts" CarID shows for a 2016 Macan S and was told expressly that those are *not* recommended, and that Hawk does *not* have a Front for the 2016 Macan S. The only reason they have the Rears is because it is the exact same brake used on Audis. Same with Akebono.
rasetsu (12-15-2020)
Old 12-16-2020, 11:21 AM
runbuh
Pro

I specifically asked Hawk about the "Fronts" CarID shows for a 2016 Macan S and was told expressly that those are *not* recommended, and that Hawk does *not* have a Front for the 2016 Macan S. The only reason they have the Rears is because it is the exact same brake used on Audis. Same with Akebono.
The fronts are Audi pads as well (ie - pads used on cars made by Audi). I wish I could tell you which cars, but I am not sure of the model/model year.
Old 12-16-2020, 03:24 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Anyone tried StopTech street pads? I had them recommended (for my 911) by a Hawk distributor as an alternative to the Performance Ceramic pads, but had already ordered the Hawk pads so didn’t get a chance to try them out. He was certain that they’d be just as good dust wise but would last longer and go easier on the rotors.

https://www.lmperformance.com/shop.a...brand=stoptech
Old 12-18-2020, 11:27 PM
JustinCase
Racer

Well, the off-label Hawk Front pads looked normal, measured normal, went on normally, and drive normally, at least for the first day. Flat6MotorSports has had no issues with their customers who have tried them, and we have had no issues, either, so far. The only real difference is that they do not come with the front (i.e., outside) wear sensor -- had to pick two up from Porsche. We'll see how the first 3 months go. I have 46,000 miles on a set of Hawks on my 997.1, and have loved everything about them.

I used HB823Z.652 Rears and HB720Z.575 Fronts for our 2016 Macan S.
Old 12-28-2020, 02:58 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

I went with Porterfield R4-S. Lower dust than stock, yet still high performing. Good bite, even when cold, unlike many so-called dustless pads.
Old 12-28-2020, 09:22 PM
JustinCase
Racer

Well, the off-label Hawk Front pads looked normal, measured normal, went on normally, and drive normally, at least for the first day. Flat6MotorSports has had no issues with their customers who have tried them, and we have had no issues, either, so far. The only real difference is that they do not come with the front (i.e., outside) wear sensor -- had to pick two up from Porsche. We'll see how the first 3 months go. I have 46,000 miles on a set of Hawks on my 997.1, and have loved everything about them.

I used HB823Z.652 Rears and HB720Z.575 Fronts for our 2016 Macan S.
After 10 days of daily use, all is very well! It took about a day to bed them in completely, but now they feel OEM (at least to my wife and me). I still have to find a dry day to wash the car and all the old OEM brake dust so my wife can finally appreciate these pads.

Quick Reply: Ceramic Brake Pads -- Help!