Macan 2014-Current

Used Macan Turbo - What To Look For

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2020, 07:13 PM
SonofaBish
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Used Macan Turbo - What To Look For

I've found some stuff online, but i find the forums are the best place to go - and didn't have luck finding much here on the forum.

I'm considering trading our 2011 Cayenne Turbo on a 2015 Macan Turbo. What are some of the major issues I should keep an eye out for? To fit my budget, I'll probably be looking at something in excess of 50K miles, so keep that in mind.

One that i'm considering was sold as a CPO in January of 2020 - - if its being sold by a dealer now, will it still be covered under the CPO for another year, even though i don't have the paperwork from the CPO purchase?

Are there transfer case and differential issues like the Cayenne? What about the rear-coolant-crossover pipe that likes to let loose on the Cayenne?

TIA for any help you can provide!
Old 12-10-2020, 07:32 PM
PSEE
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Transfer case and timing chain cover are the main issues - and even those have really only affected a small
percentage of Macans - despite what you read in the forums.

Have a PPI done at a Porsche independent, even if it is CPO.

And, yes, if the previously CPO covered vehicle was sold by a dealer or a private individual, and is again being sold by a
Porsche dealer, it can be CPOed again, though you've not go much time left on the calendar...

Good luck!
Old 12-11-2020, 12:41 PM
GratedWasabi
Racer

Received 312 Likes on 164 Posts

What budget are you looking at?

I wouldn't touch a 50k+ mile 2015 Macan with an 80 foot pole or any Macan without at least 1 year of new or CPO remaining. With that said if you're patient there are sub 30k mile CPO Macans in the 35kish area that pop up here and there. You'll have to add the 2 or 3k for transport (your cayenne + the Macan) but if you're patient you can find a dealer & deal that'll work. A sub 30k mile Macan with 2 years of CPO is really going to be worth it. Just craft your exact offer and send it to the dealer whenever a Macan that fits pops up.

https://www.porsche.com/usa/approvedused/porscheapproved/

A 50k+ mile Macan might be fine or it might cost you thousands in maintenence/repairs every year. It's not just the miles but the fact it was a "well driven" car. These sub 30k mile Macans were usually accessory lease or errand vehicles and generally saw very conservative styles of use.

Last edited by GratedWasabi; 12-11-2020 at 12:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
///Bruce (12-12-2020)
Old 12-12-2020, 04:08 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by GratedWasabi
What budget are you looking at?

I wouldn't touch a 50k+ mile 2015 Macan with an 80 foot pole or any Macan without at least 1 year of new or CPO remaining. With that said if you're patient there are sub 30k mile CPO Macans in the 35kish area that pop up here and there. You'll have to add the 2 or 3k for transport (your cayenne + the Macan) but if you're patient you can find a dealer & deal that'll work. A sub 30k mile Macan with 2 years of CPO is really going to be worth it. Just craft your exact offer and send it to the dealer whenever a Macan that fits pops up.

https://www.porsche.com/usa/approved...rscheapproved/

A 50k+ mile Macan might be fine or it might cost you thousands in maintenence/repairs every year. It's not just the miles but the fact it was a "well driven" car. These sub 30k mile Macans were usually accessory lease or errand vehicles and generally saw very conservative styles of use.
I agree. I might you save your money and buy down the mileage on a used Macan. I would not look at anything over 30K miles. I might also recommend looking for a 2017 or 2018 model. Just my opinion as a current owner of a 'bought new' 2018 Turbo. So far, my only issues have been an alignment way out from the factory (chewed up the original tires in 9K miles) and the infamous TCC leak. That was covered under warranty. Otherwise, it would have cost me several thousands of dollars.

Remember, you would be obligated to go through a used Macan from top to bottom. Meaning, changing all fluids/filters (micro filter, oil filter, TC fluid, brake fluid flush, plugs every 30K, diff fluid, oil drain/fill, etc.), possible brake pad/rotor job, any leaks, and any other odds and ends that may pop up.

Just my opinion...

Quick Reply: Used Macan Turbo - What To Look For