Macan 2014-Current

Bike rack for Macan?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2020, 12:36 PM
drgek
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Bike rack for Macan?

I have a 2019 Macan and am looking for a bike rack to hang off the rear liftgate. We have eBikes and they are too heavy to have to lift to a roof mounted rack system. Because of the rear spoiler at the top of the gate, I can't find any options and was wondering if anybody has had any success. I think I might have to have a trailer hitch installed.

Thanks

Gary

Last edited by drgek; 08-08-2020 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-08-2020, 02:34 PM
shaf
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Hitch rack is the best solution particularly for ebikes. Some can go as high as 80 lbs and now it is hard to find a rack that can carry this weight. I’m ordering a rack made by Quickr which are expensive but should carry the weight and accommodate wide tires. I would not hang a rack of the rear lift gate. I ordered my Macan with a hitch just for this reason.
Old 08-08-2020, 04:09 PM
drgek
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks, as I've done more research I see that you're right.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:59 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

1 Up bike racks seem to be the industry standard for hitch racks. Mostly all-anodized aluminum with minimal plastic that can degrade over time. My four previous SUVs had Yakima racks. I liked them but some of the plastic-coated metal items such as the original-style basket trays degraded faster than I would have preferred.

The following users liked this post:
Carcam (08-14-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 11:53 AM
ssort
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Or the brand Kuat. I would go to an REI or rack specialty store and be sure to tell them what bikes you are carrying. eBikes weigh a ton and the rack will have to be able to accommodate them. don't buy cheap racks, 1-Up and Kuat are the best, just like your Porsche.

And if you are adding a hitch to the Macan make sure the shop doing it does it right.
Old 08-26-2022, 11:55 AM
mikebrinda
Instructor

Received 88 Likes on 44 Posts

Does anyone have any experience with this Porsche brand bike rack?

https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...9E%A1%EF%B8%8F
Old 08-26-2022, 12:47 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 982 Likes on 658 Posts

Hitch rack for sure. Please don't put one of those cheapo strap racks on the back of your beautiful Porsche. If you don't have a hitch the cost to install one far outweighs getting the rear hatch repainted.

Having owned a couple hitch racks pay attention to the weight of the rack. Some of them are VERY heavy which makes removing and installing a huge PITA. I think Kuat makes an aluminum one that is lighter weight.
My Thule was a 2 person job to remove and install it due to the weight.

The tray style mounts pictured above are the only way to go. The ones that hang the bike by the top tube are a pain to get the bikes on and off so they won't rub together. Makes loading and unloading very time consuming. The tray style mounts are way easy.

Last edited by Nickshu; 08-26-2022 at 12:53 PM.
Old 08-26-2022, 02:31 PM
VAGfan
Pro

Received 298 Likes on 196 Posts

Amazon.com: Vibrelli Electric Bike Hitch Rack - 2 Ebike Rack Fits Fat Tire, Mountain Bike, Standard Bicycles - 65lbs per Bike - Patented Anti-Wobble - Cars & SUV - Tilt Down/Fold Up Platform - Not for RV : Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: Vibrelli Electric Bike Hitch Rack - 2 Ebike Rack Fits Fat Tire, Mountain Bike, Standard Bicycles - 65lbs per Bike - Patented Anti-Wobble - Cars & SUV - Tilt Down/Fold Up Platform - Not for RV : Sports & Outdoors
Old 08-28-2022, 05:20 PM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts

+1 on the 1UP rack. Very nice rack.
Nickshu (08-28-2022)
Old 08-29-2022, 11:38 AM
Kurvenflitzer
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Hitch for sure.....vote for Kuat here. Key point for me was how it is secured to the hitch with a locked bolt. They are heavy, but you can buy/build an easy roller to have it sit on,

when moving/storing.
dbf73 (09-19-2022)
Old 08-29-2022, 11:39 AM
mikebrinda
Instructor

Thanks for photos!
Old 08-30-2022, 12:17 PM
roule
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

+1 in support of a hitch rack. Be sure to get a platform-style rack that secures the bikes from the wheels, not the frame. It's never a good idea to have things swinging around, especially heavy e-bikes.

I would recommend the Thule T2 Pro XTR. https://www.thule.com/en-us/bike-rac...---2-_-9034XTR

You'll appreciate the sturdy steel construction of this rack. It is rated to hold 120 pounds (2 bikes) and you can add a further 2-bike extension if you ever want to haul 4 bikes. This Thule model is seriously built, unlike some aluminum-and-plastic alternatives.

Kuat and OneUp now make excellent heavy-duty models that are beefy enough to handle eBikes, no knock against them. Personal preference if you like the OneUp industrial rack look or the pricey Kuat sleek stylish look. Thule has a full family of other quality products so if you ever want to get other accessories like ski racks or whatever, you can have a single key solution. Thule also makes a lightweight aluminum rack (the Helium Platform XT), but its total weight rating is only 90 pounds, and many eBikes weigh more than 45 pounds each.
Old 08-30-2022, 12:28 PM
mikebrinda
Instructor

I think I'm going to go with just released Kuat Piston Pro X. Expensive, but quality and good functionality. Comes in grey or black. In stock at my bike shop. They will assemble for me no charge if I buy from them.

https://www.kuat.com/product/piston-pro-x/
Old 08-30-2022, 12:59 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,472 Likes on 637 Posts

I’m following as we'll likely be adding e-bikes and will need a rack. We have a factory hitch.

Currently love our full suspension recumbent bikes. They both fit in the back of the Macan with seats folded and front wheels removed.
(Cannondale and BikeE which is NOT electric). We love them for the comfortable seats, the comfy ride, and support for hubby's very bad back.

Any recommendations for a hitch rack that would work with these recumbents?
The bikes are shorter wheelbase than most recumbents but still longer than conventional diamond frame.

We also have a Cayenne coming in with a hitch (late Sept delivery).
I assume any rack for the Macan would work on the Cayenne (factory hitches would be identical or very similar) and we can swap between cars as needed.
Old 09-10-2022, 07:52 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by mikebrinda
I think I'm going to go with just released Kuat Piston Pro X. Expensive, but quality and good functionality. Comes in grey or black. In stock at my bike shop. They will assemble for me no charge if I buy from them.

https://www.kuat.com/product/piston-pro-x/
Very nice - if you want to see a bunch of options in one place Rack and Road in Costa Mesa is always a good place to stop by and see what they have - just up the street from Triangle Square off end of the 55.

link: https://racknroad.com/

Quick Reply: Bike rack for Macan?