Macan 2014-Current

What is your wheel/ tire set up summer/winter

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2020, 06:06 PM
Tedder Bear
Needs a Chuckle
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

For summer running 21" RS Spyder Wheels with Michelin Latitudes. For winter running 20" Black RS Spyder Wheels with Pirelli Scorpions. Have been very happy with both. Ability to swap them in my garage has been great. I’m storing the off season wheels on a wall rack, so they’re out of the way.
Old 08-01-2020, 06:22 PM
Anestheticg
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Tedder Bear
For summer running 21" RS Spyder Wheels with Michelin Latitudes. For winter running 20" Black RS Spyder Wheels with Pirelli Scorpions. Have been very happy with both. Ability to swap them in my garage has been great. I’m storing the off season wheels on a wall rack, so they’re out of the way.
latitudes are a “touring tire” or an all season?any reason you choose not to run a summer specific tire?
Old 08-01-2020, 11:18 PM
Tedder Bear
Needs a Chuckle
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

They are Summer specific tires. The Latitude Sport 3’s are the Summer specific OEM tires as provided by Porsche with the 21” Spyder wheels.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:41 PM
Anestheticg
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Tedder Bear
They are Summer specific tires. The Latitude Sport 3’s are the Summer specific OEM tires as provided by Porsche with the 21” Spyder wheels.
I see. Thanks for the response
Old 08-04-2020, 05:42 AM
Blarghicide
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The P-zeros have about 20,000km on them.
Old 08-04-2020, 05:46 AM
Blarghicide
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Anestheticg
how many miles did you get out of the summer pirelli’s? Thanks for the info on winters. I’ll buy winter tires for 20” spyders.
I have pilot sport a/s3+ that Ive even done track duty with on my 996. They are amazing in the wet. On track they get very hot and greasy after about session 2... swapping to summers soon for track for the 996 but you will be happy with them... they’re great. No snow experience with them.
The P-zeros have about 20,000 km on them, and remain in good condition.
gThe pilot sport A/S 3’s seem to be well liked, looking forward to trying them out.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:52 PM
stiles_s
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by ssort
Question:
i'm looking for a 'square' vs staggered set up for my winter tires/wheels. Anyone know if a Audi Q5 (or maybe Q7) wheel will fit a GTS? Reason for looking for Audi option is that all P branded take offs from Macan are staggared.

thanks!

Tracy
Yes, Q5 wheels will bolt on as long as they are large enough to clear the brake calipers and low enough offset. I'm about to try out the 20x10.5 ET25 square setup I had on my recently departed SQ5 on our Macan S.

The typical Q5 wheel is in the 30-33MM offset range whereas the front macan is 25-26MM and the rear is 19-15MM. So, most Q5 wheels are going to look very "tucked in" on the Macan, especially on the rear. I had a very aggressive fitment on my SQ5 so they'll fit OK. bolt pattern and hub size is the same. Good luck.

Last edited by stiles_s; 08-09-2020 at 05:59 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by stiles_s:
Blarghicide (08-14-2020), MrMarco (08-19-2021)
Old 08-18-2021, 12:45 PM
nb1234
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

As stated above, traction is only one component of winter driving. Even putting aside the issue of wear and tear due to de-icing chemicals and gravel, there is the very real issue of damage from low clearance.

Because snow plow drivers cannot clear every last bit of snow and ice, it'll often pile up into mounds (some big, some small) that are ripe for tearing into underbody components of low cars. Sometimes, those mounds are unavoidable.

For places that only get small amounts of snow, it's no big deal. For those of us living in areas where real dumps are a possibility, this is a real concern.
Old 08-18-2021, 01:57 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,318 Likes on 1,377 Posts

Porsche spends oodles of cash testing not only here north of my place (I test drove for Audi/VW/Bentley one season in their arctic test center) but in the Nordic countries as well under all weather and snow/ice conditions. So, snow mounds etc. please . Incredible that folks spend this kind of cash and at the first sign of clouds or temperature dips they run to hibernate the car

I'm on the road commission for my service area (11 miles for 490 people) keeping the roads open year round and personally clear my road with Olga and my 85" Erskine snowblower. We try not to leave berms, though unavoidable on some driveways. None of this should prevent you from driving your Porsche in winter (another reason for FAL) with the correct tires.

Personally, I've got Michelin Alpin 5; no idea what they're like as my usual tire (Touareg and Macan) are Nokian but alas unavailable for the 992

siberian

Olga doing her thing clearing my driveway

Last edited by siberian; 08-18-2021 at 02:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
drgav2005 (08-20-2021)
Old 08-19-2021, 10:47 PM
MrMarco
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 83 Posts

Summer: BBS CH-R (not the "Macan" offset) with Michelin Pilot Sport SUV
Winter: TSW Nord bronze on black with exposed ball trimmed interior spokes and Michelin Pilot Alpine 5 SUV
Old 10-24-2021, 07:02 AM
BosMacanT18
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, a set of good All Season Tire won't work well in snowy NE area?
Old 10-24-2021, 09:13 AM
97c2s993
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Ultimately, no. A new A/S tire should perform ok in most regular conditions in the winter but in heavy snowfalls where roads are covered, cold temps and icy surfaces, nothing will beat proper snow tires. Add to that the mileage factor - the comment above is with lower mileage A/S tires. As tread wears (as they do quickly on our beloved Macans) so does performance. In other words you might get away with one winter season.
I had a Macan S and now have a Macan GTS, and live just north of NYC, but being from Canada I know the benefits of swapping to snows when the weather gets bad. I swap my Toyo Proxes A/S mounted on the 20' Spyder Wheels (love them and find they're better than OEM Pirellis or Michelins) for 18' rims from Tire Rack (higher sidewalls and narrower) with Michelin Lat X Ice. There is no question about the difference in traction, especially if you want to spiritedly drive your Macan in the winter on all surfaces. One comment: I once had Blizzaks for winters on a previous Q5 and preferred them hands down over the Michelins. Next snows will be the Bridgestones.
The following 2 users liked this post by 97c2s993:
Frank Abe (10-05-2022), MrMarco (10-24-2021)
Old 10-24-2021, 10:21 AM
MrMarco
Pro

^ Winter traction in general. I love my PS4SUV, but I can't wait til next month to get the summer rubber off. The hydroplaning, even with a new set, is more frightening then the people of Walmart. Those tiny sipes in the outer tread of the "SUV" are useless at evacuating liquids from the center of the patch.
Old 10-24-2021, 02:09 PM
BosMacanT18
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 97c2s993
Ultimately, no. A new A/S tire should perform ok in most regular conditions in the winter but in heavy snowfalls where roads are covered, cold temps and icy surfaces, nothing will beat proper snow tires. Add to that the mileage factor - the comment above is with lower mileage A/S tires. As tread wears (as they do quickly on our beloved Macans) so does performance. In other words you might get away with one winter season.
I had a Macan S and now have a Macan GTS, and live just north of NYC, but being from Canada I know the benefits of swapping to snows when the weather gets bad. I swap my Toyo Proxes A/S mounted on the 20' Spyder Wheels (love them and find they're better than OEM Pirellis or Michelins) for 18' rims from Tire Rack (higher sidewalls and narrower) with Michelin Lat X Ice. There is no question about the difference in traction, especially if you want to spiritedly drive your Macan in the winter on all surfaces. One comment: I once had Blizzaks for winters on a previous Q5 and preferred them hands down over the Michelins. Next snows will be the Bridgestones.
Well said, thanks!

I had Blizzaks on my previous M5, worked great, better than my MDX AWD SUV, which only has all season tires that handled the snow trips fine, w/o spirit yet with safety. So my previous set ups are always snow tires on none AWD cars and AS tires on SUV.
The following users liked this post:
MrMarco (10-24-2021)
Old 10-24-2021, 02:29 PM
MrMarco
Pro

^ I've always been curious about the Blizzak as I remember the rollout in (1990?) The concept was great, more grip, no studs, We still let studded tires chew up our roads today, I'm not sure most folks realize they can get the same traction from a tire that doesn't have tugnston carbide in the ingredients.

Quick Reply: What is your wheel/ tire set up summer/winter