2017 Macan GTS purchase advise

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2020, 12:43 PM
Nctuan03
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 Macan GTS purchase advise

Hello Everyone,

My name is Tuan and I'm from Raleigh, NC. I'm a new member and have been reading and looking at the CPO 2017 Macan GTS to purchase. This is my first Porches and would like to hear other member's opinion and experience with the car as far as reliability. Does anyone have any issues at all after the warranty? I've read so many good review online and fell in love with it after test driving at the dealership. Thank you everyone in advance for your time and I'm looking to hearing back from you guys.

Tuan
Old 06-07-2020, 06:39 PM
shaf
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

I had a 17GTS and now have a 20. For me GTS's always hit the sweet spot in Porsche offerings. I’ve had 911's but for me the Macan is the perfect compromise. Quick with good handling and everyday usability.

I should had problems are pretty rare and you will be fine with a CPOed car.
Old 06-07-2020, 08:43 PM
DIYDanCars
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

If reliability is important look at another brand. Buying CPO is nice peace of mind that when it does break and it will, you won't be paying out of pocket. I think Porsche's shop rate is now over $200 an hour, so if you plan on owning this car out of warranty understand the repairs will be extremely expensive. For example, my local dealer wants almost $400 for just an oil change! Don't get me wrong, Porsche makes an enjoyable car to drive, but it is no where near as reliable as some people will lead you to believe -- especially if you're the type of guy who keeps his cars and puts a lot of miles on them. A Porsche is a car I think everyone should own at least once in their life! Life is too short to drive boring cars, but just keep mind you gotta pay to play as they say. Some owners don't agree with this philosophy considering how expensive Porsches are, but it is what it is.
Old 06-08-2020, 01:29 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 382 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by DIYDanCars
If reliability is important look at another brand. Buying CPO is nice peace of mind that when it does break and it will, you won't be paying out of pocket. I think Porsche's shop rate is now over $200 an hour, so if you plan on owning this car out of warranty understand the repairs will be extremely expensive. For example, my local dealer wants almost $400 for just an oil change! Don't get me wrong, Porsche makes an enjoyable car to drive, but it is no where near as reliable as some people will lead you to believe -- especially if you're the type of guy who keeps his cars and puts a lot of miles on them. A Porsche is a car I think everyone should own at least once in their life! Life is too short to drive boring cars, but just keep mind you gotta pay to play as they say. Some owners don't agree with this philosophy considering how expensive Porsches are, but it is what it is.
Where do you live that the shops hourly rate is over $200 an hour?
Old 06-08-2020, 05:05 PM
Draper
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mwar99
My dealer charges 205 /hr + 50 flat 'shop materials fee' per visit. I think there may have been an increase around the first of the year.

PCA gets that down below 200, but not by much.
Old 06-08-2020, 09:52 PM
DIYDanCars
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mwar99
Michigan.
Old 06-09-2020, 08:51 AM
dg108
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts

My wife loves her '17 GTS. It just came off warranty and honestly we aren't concerned about it, we had the option to extend but didn't. Just before warranty ran out we had the 30k done and they did the timing chain cover repair at that time. It already had the transfer case done and from everything I've read those are really the only 2 weak spots on the Macan. Service is expensive but if you are out warranty money can be saved by not using the dealership for service.
Old 06-09-2020, 12:40 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 382 Likes on 215 Posts

I thought NJ was expensive at $195...
Old 06-09-2020, 01:32 PM
Raffey1
Instructor

I just bought a 2017 GTS Macan in Voodoo Blue. Love it. It only had 16K miles on it so pretty much like new, but I added an additional 100K mile warranty on it, as I felt I could pay for the warranty more easily than a large repair bill.
Old 06-16-2020, 10:43 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

We have a '17 Macan GTS, and have had no reliability issues. At around 25k miles we have gone through a set of brake pads and tires. That's it.
Old 06-17-2020, 01:07 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

Welcome Tuan - I would seriously look for a CPO'd car. While the GTS does check all the right boxes for me. I bought a CPO'd, S.
Its brakes are less expensive to replace, and maybe a few less teck items. While I like the air suspension, coil springs don't leak.
Currently my Macan has the engine out of it, for leaking valve covers. The dashboard is coming out of it for a new air conditioning evaporator. All covered under warranty.
To me an oil change should not cost $5oo + dollars. What is required to keep your warranty is clearly explained in the manual. You can have that work done anywhere, with supporting documentation, even at home.
But do check this yourself. I have my indy perform routine maintenance, and the dealer warranty issues. Pretty happy with my experience so far.

Knowledge and research is your friend. Keep learning, keep asking questions.

Porsche does not make brake rotors, OEM make them for them. You can pay 2500-3000 to have them done at the dealer, or source them yourself for 800 and get them installed for 200.
Old 06-17-2020, 07:55 PM
DIYDanCars
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
Welcome Tuan - I would seriously look for a CPO'd car. While the GTS does check all the right boxes for me. I bought a CPO'd, S.
Its brakes are less expensive to replace, and maybe a few less teck items. While I like the air suspension, coil springs don't leak.
Currently my Macan has the engine out of it, for leaking valve covers. The dashboard is coming out of it for a new air conditioning evaporator. All covered under warranty.
To me an oil change should not cost $5oo + dollars. What is required to keep your warranty is clearly explained in the manual. You can have that work done anywhere, with supporting documentation, even at home.
But do check this yourself. I have my indy perform routine maintenance, and the dealer warranty issues. Pretty happy with my experience so far.

Porsche does not make brake rotors, OEM make them for them. You can pay 2500-3000 to have them done at the dealer, or source them yourself for 800 and get them installed for 200.
Holy cow! That's easily $10k worth of warranty work right there. They had to remove the engine to change the valve cover gaskets? What year and how many miles are on your Macan?
Old 06-25-2020, 01:58 PM
denniscasey
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG smoke

Looking at 2017 Macan GTS and wondered about common issues: in earlier note saw timing chain cover replaced and transfer case fixed as if well known issue and in this post noted a/c problem and valve cover leaking. Are there other common issues with this model that are known but not handled under recall notice from Porsche ( i.e. my 2015 Cayman S had warped interior door panels which this forum alerted me to—Porsche kept secret- and once I pointed out to dealer he replaced under warranty but did say not covered under CPO). Thankyou
Old 06-25-2020, 02:22 PM
ExGTI
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Nctuan03
Hello Everyone,

My name is Tuan and I'm from Raleigh, NC. I'm a new member and have been reading and looking at the CPO 2017 Macan GTS to purchase. This is my first Porches and would like to hear other member's opinion and experience with the car as far as reliability. Does anyone have any issues at all after the warranty? I've read so many good review online and fell in love with it after test driving at the dealership. Thank you everyone in advance for your time and I'm looking to hearing back from you guys.

Tuan
As a 2017 S CPO owner the car has been very nice - feels rock solid and well built. However as people note there are two 'common' issues - the transfer case and the oil leak from the timing chain cover. We had both. Transfer case at 20K now at 30K miles we are dealing with the second issue. It's an engine out job. I strongly advise getting a very thorough inspection of the engine to check for the timing cover leak. The transfer case issue is very noticeable in a test drive.
Old 06-25-2020, 05:38 PM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,340 Likes on 608 Posts

I own a 2018 Macan GTS. Highly spec'ed with almost every option except Nav and Burmeister stereo.

Did a European Delivery pick up, 3600 mi in the Alps including plenty of autobahn; a 10,000 mi X-country non-interstate trip from ATL to LAX; a 2000 mi LAX-PDX-LAX trip; and most recently a 3000 mi LAX-PDX-SEA-YVR then the entire Powder Highway through British Columbia in the dead of winter and back to PDX. So, 20,000 miles of pretty hard driving, both on and off road, since Sep 2017 pickup.

No issues, whatsover.

Did the 10,000 mi free (included) oil change and one more prior to the last trip to change oil viscosity in advance of super low temps in Canadian Rockies. Also had a CPO/PPI-like 111-point inspection performed by a Porsche dealer to extend my 4-year/ 50K mi OEM warranty to 6 year/100K mi. It was an awesome courtesy extended by PCNA after they "lost" my car for a month when shipping from Europe to the US (trucked it by mistake to the selling dealer in MN, not the dealer I chose to have it delivered to in GA- which is an "alternate dealer delivery" option offered with any Euro delivery). The CPO-like warranty extension inspection included removing the lower engine cover to check the timing chain cover for leaks. The inspection sheet was totally clean, with only notes on tire and brake disc wear measurements.

My experience is just one data point, and there are tens of thousands of Macans on the road, but my GTS has been an absolutely stellar performer with zero problems.

*Just remembered that I did get a spurious engine hood ajar message that would not clear, even after multiple firm closures with the engine running. It cleared after restarting the car. I also got a Check Engine light with a "Reduced Power" advisory message that indicated it was OK to drive to get service, albeit with severely reduced power (I assume as a protection). This came on as I accelerated HARD up and on-ramp in SPORT+ mode (not employing the Launch Control feature- which I have never used). It, too, cleared after shut down and restart. Online research indicated that a loose turbo intake clamp will throw that message and CEL under very hard acceleration due to detection of an induction air leak. I still need to get that tightened on my next service.

**There is also a current recall letter sent out to address a mis-routed fuel line that might chafe and start an engine fire, so I will get the clamp done when I take it in for the recall.

I am glad to have a 6-year OEM warranty, but so far (knock on wood) it has not been needed. I cannot think of a more comprhensive long term test than mine. Autobahn speeds in Germany; secondary roads across the entire USA- including 9 national parks; the European Alps and Rockie mountains in both US and Canada; the entire Pacific Coast Highway-3 times; dozens of gravel roads in Tuscany and many logging roads in the California Sierra Nevada. A real Swiss Army knife vehicle, from 120+mph autobahn runs to off-road excursions and deep snow.

Quick Reply: 2017 Macan GTS purchase advise