Macan 2014-Current

2020 low battery warning

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2020, 04:32 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,807 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Default 2020 low battery warning

Wife’s macan has been sitting in garage. I have a ctek on the battery directly.

this am, not started car for at least 2 weeks

today went in garage
car opened up fine
tender showed 8 lights so in float mode
removed tended
turned car on
voltage in display showed 12.4
started car
low battery warning

started car fine

then. Stoped car turned off. No warning.

battery clearly is not low....

weird. Anyone seen this?
Old 06-06-2020, 08:35 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,319 Likes on 1,378 Posts

If you recall perhaps back in February or so, my 2020 with about 800 miles on the clock and after having driven 450 miles straight from Anchorage to my place, one morning was just dead. Battery inexplicably showed 9v and nothing worked. I mean nothing. I believe my thread was "Total System Meltdown" if you care to do a search. Key was not in the car, the vehicle wasn't locked (mirrors were not folded), hatch nor doors were left open etc. No explanation could account for this. And yes, of course it was in a covered/heated garage.

Dealer had never heard of such an event, Road Side Assistance didn't want any part of anything to do with batteries, and I know TOWMBO had nothing to do with it (this time....). After 54 hours of CTEK care and by flashing the lights as well as activating the trunk (not starting the car) but simply waking it up very gently around 43 hours some life came back and as I said after 54 hours she fired up and no problems (well no battery problems) since, as the car is at the dealer with other electrical issues.

There do seem to be some gremlins that are inexplicable. My take is: As the system shutdown given some electrical battery issue it started by shutting every non essential system down until only the most minimum sensors or items we left and it basically went into hibernation. By twitching some minor systems like doors and hatch and now that some power had been restored it seems to wake, in turn. By power slowly returning, one accessory or function after another woke and is the only explanation I can come up with. For your info, the biggest electrical hog in this whole system (and I still don't understand WHY we are not on 48v systems yet) is your 11 inch color screen.

I would just place it on the CTEK again and wait, in my case it took 54 hours, and every step in the 8 or 9 has an estimate duration. I hope that helps. Ping me if you need more details

siberian

The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow
Old 06-06-2020, 09:30 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

II didn’t drive the car just backed it out of garage. Pulled back in. Hooked up ctek and it was peaked 20 mins later. So definitely not dead. I have 6 of these things and use them on most of my cars.

what I’m thinking.... i hard wired the ctek a couple weeks ago but had the car on the interior power plug but it kept shutting off

wondering if batter was low and was an old error message from before I’d charged it.

anyway just checked again and no errors. will go back to the garage and put a voltmeter on it.

Old 06-06-2020, 10:09 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Read the voltage of the battery at rest and under load (cranking) if you do a reading.

siberian

Old 06-08-2020, 10:34 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Battery is fine. I suspect it was an old message from before putting it on the tender
Old 06-09-2020, 12:51 AM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Good to hear! Mine's still in the shop and no word on what the issue is yet...To make matters worse, they didn't have the 918 they promised as a loaner....

siberian

The following users liked this post:
jbx2 (06-12-2020)

Quick Reply: 2020 low battery warning