Notices
Macan 2014-Current

DRL Problem (both right and left)

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2020, 12:47 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,807 Likes on 1,102 Posts

man, what a bummer situation given your location...no issues with ours other than that battery warning that went away...
Old 06-14-2020, 01:00 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,319 Likes on 1,378 Posts

The fact that Porsche does not pay for returning your vehicle (especially in cases where the distance is over 350 miles) whilst charging an eye and a limb for every nick knack is just hard to swallow. But it is what it is. I came across the same thing with my Touaregs when they were in warranty and reason I do my own work. And now with wild fires starting (latest one 4 miles from the house...) promises to be a long summer

Glad your issue was solved. I just don't really like these "miracles" or "unexplained" solutions/occurrences as they're just solutions hanging over you.

Got a lift and workspace in two weeks to hopefully be able to start on the first two mods...

Thanx for reaching out

siberian

The best long distance runner eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow
Old 06-14-2020, 04:11 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

Really interesting issue, siberian. I hate to say it, but the most _likely_ explanation is the x431 mods. It seems like tweaking passing blinks from 3-5, driver's seat belt disable, etc. would be unrelated, but these aren't clear-cut like mechanical mods - this is software and it's fragile stuff. If the wrong bit was inadvertently flipped on or off anything at all could be affected in really weird ways.
Old 06-14-2020, 04:25 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Well I had considered this, as outlined in a previous post, but discarded it for the following reasons.

1) The 431x mods did not trigger any codes discernible by either the dealer's PIWIS or my Launch.

2) The mods were done, some months prior

3) Many folks have done those mods and so far none posted any issues

4) The only even remotely related mod referencing turning the tail lights on with the DRL's could be related. I turned them off when the problems began but it didn't revert to normal despite disconnecting the battery etc.

The x431 or any analyzer for that matter can only enable/disable or modify a parameter. If say a function is binary (i.e. yes/no) you can't enter a non binary modification, irrespective of analyzer. Like saying enter a digit from 0 to 5 and your analyzer tries to enter 7 (well assuming the programmer actually checks the answer and refuses to allow any other non 0-5 answer).

Lastly the function in question is mandated in Nordic countries (birthplace of the DDL or DRL's) so it's not like a function out on left field that's never been implemented but available.

One bizare thing I have now that I re-coded the changes again, is that the heated steering wheel seems to be on every time I start the car. Would have been in nice in January.

I hear what you're saying and trust me, i had tried to consider all possible causes. Not saying it isn't - and time will tell if this indeed is the culprit. Let's hope it isn't! Thanx for taking the time, I appreciate your thoughts

siberian

Last edited by siberian; 06-14-2020 at 06:27 PM.
Old 06-17-2020, 06:51 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
Well I had considered this, as outlined in a previous post, but discarded it for the following reasons.

1) The 431x mods did not trigger any codes discernible by either the dealer's PIWIS or my Launch.

2) The mods were done, some months prior

3) Many folks have done those mods and so far none posted any issues

4) The only even remotely related mod referencing turning the tail lights on with the DRL's could be related. I turned them off when the problems began but it didn't revert to normal despite disconnecting the battery etc.

The x431 or any analyzer for that matter can only enable/disable or modify a parameter. If say a function is binary (i.e. yes/no) you can't enter a non binary modification, irrespective of analyzer. Like saying enter a digit from 0 to 5 and your analyzer tries to enter 7 (well assuming the programmer actually checks the answer and refuses to allow any other non 0-5 answer).

Lastly the function in question is mandated in Nordic countries (birthplace of the DDL or DRL's) so it's not like a function out on left field that's never been implemented but available.

One bizare thing I have now that I re-coded the changes again, is that the heated steering wheel seems to be on every time I start the car. Would have been in nice in January.

I hear what you're saying and trust me, i had tried to consider all possible causes. Not saying it isn't - and time will tell if this indeed is the culprit. Let's hope it isn't! Thanx for taking the time, I appreciate your thoughts

siberian

But you did make changes. Put the features back to where they were before your changes and see what happens then selectively make your changes one at a time and see if any one causes your issues. Tedious but it may tell you the "culprit". Good luck.
Old 06-17-2020, 07:12 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Already re-coded all of the changes I had made, so far so good. As I said no one has yet mentioned that any of them had caused any issues. But early days, it could still crop up and I won't really know until months from now as June 21st we'll be at 22+ hours of daylight, so it will be a while before I need to use the lights (yes, I did already check them once or twice and no issues). What would have been interesting to know is whether the code they downloaded was an update to the original version loaded when the car was assembled.

siberian
Old 06-24-2020, 09:26 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

So we've recently had a week of rains and thunderstorms ( as those keep the fires and smoke away) and I was thus able to use the headlights or rather I instructed TOWMBO to use the headlights in both "Auto" and "ON" mode to see whether there was any flickering in the DRLs. Nothing reported, and all the electronic mods done prior to the mishap were loaded during this time. I can thus, at this point, only conclude:

1) It was a freak occurrence (yes, I know a conclusion is the point you stopped thinking)
or
2) When they reloaded the software at the dealer, they loaded an update, but since the dealer told me he didn't know whether it was a different version, it could be or point 1 above.

This was the second electrical mishap, the first one was at around 800 miles following a 420 mile drive from picking up the car when the battery emptied whilst parked in our garage, unlocked, and lights etc. off, showing 9v. CTEK saved the day 54 hours later.

Let's hope we're done with the gremlins.

Thank you to everyone who tried to help, unless this reappears we can close the thread.

siberian

The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow

Quick Reply: DRL Problem (both right and left)