Macan 2014-Current

2017+ macan turbo or cayenne turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2020, 06:07 PM
Anestheticg
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 2017+ macan turbo or cayenne turbo

Macan is smaller and more nimble. Cayenne is bigger has more off road capability. PDK vs ZF 8 speed etc. I know it really depends to what you intend to use the car for... however from a total package perspective and given a cayenne turbo will be around 7k more than a comparable macan which is the better value ?
Old 04-07-2020, 06:47 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,352 Likes on 1,393 Posts

If you need a bigger vehicle than the Macan, get the VDub Touareg a heck of a lot cheaper and better vehicle dollar for dollar than a Cayenne. If you live outside the US, and given the years you mention, I would opt for the V8 air suspension etc. as this car is not sold in the US given it's (new) price. If you want the smaller of the two, then again, as you said, it really depends what it is you need the car to do, there are options (VDub Touareg, Audi Q5...)

siberian

The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow
Old 04-08-2020, 02:25 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
If you need a bigger vehicle than the Macan, get the VDub Touareg a heck of a lot cheaper and better vehicle dollar for dollar than a Cayenne. If you live outside the US, and given the years you mention, I would opt for the V8 air suspension etc. as this car is not sold in the US given it's (new) price. If you want the smaller of the two, then again, as you said, it really depends what it is you need the car to do, there are options (VDub Touareg, Audi Q5...)

siberian

Only perhaps if the OP is looking to get it for the utility/offroad aspect. In terms of street performance, VW offers nothing in the Touareg lineup comparable to the Cayenne Turbo. Not even close. The OP did mention the Cayenne Turbo model specifically, so I assume is looking for high performance use as well. (I’ve owned 2 Cayenne Turbos myself)
Old 04-08-2020, 02:56 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Looking at the years he mentions VDub's V8 FSI has comparable hp to the current Macan S. In the years he mentions or up to this day if looking for new, the Touareg has options to rival and for a lot cheaper a Cayenne and especially off road. I live off road (3 miles from the closest road) and have temperature ranges from 90 in summer to below -40 in winter, I tow 7,500lbs worth of trailer and haul crap all year including my own designed propane carrier in comfort. Yep, the Cayenne has similar towing capacities as it's on the same chassis. I do all my own work but when looking at what parts for Porsche costs vs VDub...

As far as torque is concerned, the V10 Turbo Diesel Touareg was last seen pulling a 747 on youtube a few years back you'll have to search far to get those torque specs on ANY vehicle. The diesel is alas not practical for where I live but again depending on what he's looking for another possibility.

Performance? Just how much can you really expect out of an SUV before you really need to look at a sport's car? Lambo is making the Urus ... seriously? I'm sure the Lambo will bury a Touareg and Cayenne but at what point is this just plain silly. Over 200 grand for an SUV? Most folks, and I consider myself for what I do with my Touareg and where I live, in the less than 1% of the customers having bought this vehicle needing an "extreme" vehicle. This is no doubt the reason that from the first evolution around 2004, it has been emasculated throughout the years as most if not all customers don't even understand some of the myriads of options let alone know how to use a winch. But it looks cool to take a near 3 ton AWD vehicle in Honolulu to the Mall.

Another option is and again what does he need or want? the Toyota FJ Cruiser. It tows barely a wee bit over half of my Touareg (or similar to a Macan) but a rugged off road car. If, OTOH, you relish spending your weekend under the car, then the Land Rover is definitely in your cards. I just recently sold my pampered 2008 V6 FSI Touareg with over 110k miles running like clockwork. I'll never, as long as I can find electronic parts for it sell my 2008 V8 Touareg. Nothing does what this car delivers for what I need it to do. The Cayenne, Touareg and Q7s are all built on the similar chassis, differences in engines and options add thousands and differentiate between the children of the same family. There are other options than Porsche out there depending on what the person needs. As a last example, I have Siberian Huskies and we need to ferry them to vet appointments etc. I was informed by TOWMBO that this will not happen in the Porsche first because it's too small (no problem in the V6 or V8 Touareg) but also one will NOT fill "my" Porsche with dog hair.. and I thought that was the reason we got leather seats...

Just my 2 cents

siberian

The best long distance runner eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow
Old 04-08-2020, 03:13 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

C’mon. If not for the performance aspect then why are any of us interested in Porsche specific SUVs/CUVs at all......yeah, that’s what I thought!
Old 04-08-2020, 05:10 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Well I'm interested in what an SUV is and was originally designed for: allowing me to tow, ford, and haul in comfort whilst having the power and wherewithal to achieve this.

It's not nor will it ever be a 911, a Ferrari or a sport's car so not sure what performance you're expecting from an SUV. I have a 450hp RS5 if I want to have fun, but it won't tow, nor drive in any snow deeper than 4 inches without acting like a plow. The right vehicle for the right job, or like a fellow member told me why he bought the base Macan rather than a Turbo or S: because he has a Ferrari when he wants to have fun.

siberian

Old 04-08-2020, 05:12 PM
lamacan
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 230 Posts

unless you need the space, Macan all day. i am on my 4th Macan. exceptional cars.
Old 04-08-2020, 09:14 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Well I'm interested in what an SUV is and was originally designed for: allowing me to tow, ford, and haul in comfort whilst having the power and wherewithal to achieve this.

It's not nor will it ever be a 911, a Ferrari or a sport's car so not sure what performance you're expecting from an SUV. I have a 450hp RS5 if I want to have fun, but it won't tow, nor drive in any snow deeper than 4 inches without acting like a plow. The right vehicle for the right job, or like a fellow member told me why he bought the base Macan rather than a Turbo or S: because he has a Ferrari when he wants to have fun.

siberian

So again, if it’s just about the utility of an SUV (“tow, ford, and haul in comfort whilst having the power and wherewithal to achieve this”) why bother with Porsche? Much better SUV choices out there for that certainly, with lower initial and operating costs.

No matter which Porsche model one selects, all Porsches are about performance. It’s a performance oriented brand. Sure, a Macan is not a GT2 RS, nor will it ever be, but performance is still at the heart of all of them. It’s ‘baked’ into all Porsches. You’re missing my point....if it’s about the utility versus the performance capabilities of these SUVs (yes, they have that despite not being 911s), then there’s better non-Porsche choices. But, as you’ve stated, they can do the off-road stuff pretty well too when that’s the intent.

Enough said.
Old 04-08-2020, 09:27 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Again I don't understand what your definition of "performance" in an SUV is supposed to be. 0 to 60? How many lateral G's you can pull? Your best time around the shopping mall? Burn rubber? How many rows of seats or cup holders it has?

My definition of performance, if I want that, is in my RS5 or found in 911s or Ferrari for those fortunate enough to own one any of which will run rings around any Macan/Cayenne/Touareg....

An SUV whether Lambo, Rolls, Bentley, Porsche BMW or MB etc. is a utility vehicle with more or less bling/safety features/cargo/comfort/500 speaker audio etc. To sink over 100k into such a vehicle is something I can't get my head around. But, you're right, enough said.

siberian

Old 04-08-2020, 09:39 PM
lamacan
Rennlist Member

a few other things.... i would do Macan GTS over Macan Turbo. Not much difference in the Turbo/GTS, GTS holds value better, looks better (subjective).

also, if it matters to you, Macan holds value better than Cayenne.

recently had a 2020 Cayenne S loaner while my 2019 Macan S was in for service. Engine is nicer on the Cayenne, but everything else superior on the Macan.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:20 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Again I don't understand what your definition of "performance" in an SUV is supposed to be. 0 to 60? How many lateral G's you can pull? Your best time around the shopping mall? Burn rubber? How many rows of seats or cup holders it has?

My definition of performance, if I want that, is in my RS5 or found in 911s or Ferrari for those fortunate enough to own one any of which will run rings around any Macan/Cayenne/Touareg....

An SUV whether Lambo, Rolls, Bentley, Porsche BMW or MB etc. is a utility vehicle with more or less bling/safety features/cargo/comfort/500 speaker audio etc. To sink over 100k into such a vehicle is something I can't get my head around. But, you're right, enough said.

siberian

Well my friend, I guess I’ll just leave it to you then to explain to all the Rennlist members here in the Macan and multiple Cayenne forums how the SUVs/CUVs they purchased and thought were performance models are not in fact performance oriented, but are simply overpriced pampered ‘mall crawlers’.

Something you said though, “My definition of performance...”, that’s just it....performance can be defined in many many ways, your definition being but one. And there are different classes/levels of performance just as there are different classes/categories of vehicles. Everything’s relative. Sure a Cayenne Turbo isn’t going to turn the lap times of a 911 Turbo for instance, apples to oranges. But that doesn’t mean it’s not also a high performance vehicle in it’s own right (and in fact can turn better lap times or out accelerate some other performance cars).

Following your logic stated above, does that then mean that if your 911 Turbo is out accelerated by a Tesla P100D Ludicrous or a McLaren Senna “runs rings around it”, that it’s not really a “performance” vehicle either?! (Consider that a rhetorical question, no response necessary)

Old 04-08-2020, 10:50 PM
Anestheticg
Racer

I’m leaning towards macan. Don’t really need the space however I can write off more of the cayenne faster due to the 6k weight rule... I’m not about to make a big purchase during a pandemic but was this crisis unfolds I’ll keep looking at what’s around. The cayenne turbo V8 is one heck of an engine but it’s way bigger than I need. I prefer the macan turbo over gts due to bigger engine rather than tuned S engine
Old 04-08-2020, 11:03 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by Anestheticg
I’m leaning towards macan. Don’t really need the space however I can write off more of the cayenne faster due to the 6k weight rule... I’m not about to make a big purchase during a pandemic but was this crisis unfolds I’ll keep looking at what’s around. The cayenne turbo V8 is one heck of an engine but it’s way bigger than I need. I prefer the macan turbo over gts due to bigger engine rather than tuned S engine
Smart choice. I had two Cayenne Turbos and really enjoyed them, but when we became empty nesters and I no longer needed the additional space, the Macan made sense. Better driving dynamics with a decent amount of utility, enough for what I need anyway. And you get the wonderful PDK with the Macan.

You’re right though, that Cayenne turbo V8 is certainly a beast. Nice low end V8 torque and drivability. And if you get the optional PDCC on the Cayenne, it’ll make moves a vehicle of that size shouldn’t do!

But if you don’t need the additional space, you won’t regret the Macan Turbo at all. Overall driving dynamics are superior.
Old 04-09-2020, 12:15 AM
lamacan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Anestheticg
I hear you, performance isn't really that different though. 4.4 versus 4.2 to 60 per car and driver.

i'd hunt for both and whichever is specc'd closest to what you're looking for is what i'd go for. unless you don't like the blackout look of the GTS. i think there's also more GTS's out there to pick from probably.

also, most 2017's should be coming back from lease this year. so lots to choose from.
Old 04-09-2020, 06:26 AM
Anestheticg
Racer

Originally Posted by lamacan
I hear you, performance isn't really that different though. 4.4 versus 4.2 to 60 per car and driver.

i'd hunt for both and whichever is specc'd closest to what you're looking for is what i'd go for. unless you don't like the blackout look of the GTS. i think there's also more GTS's out there to pick from probably.

also, most 2017's should be coming back from lease this year. so lots to choose from.
something to consider. I’m not opposed to one for the right deal

Quick Reply: 2017+ macan turbo or cayenne turbo