Macan 2014-Current

Transfer Case TSB and link to all Macan TSBs

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2019, 08:33 PM
Snap Oversteer
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Transfer Case TSB and link to all Macan TSBs

I have another thread describing my transfer case woes, but long story short, we purchased our 2017 Macan S in may of 2016. We experienced the now well-known symptoms of transfer case failure and had the unit replaced in March 2018 at 18k miles. We are now at 37k miles and need, yet again, another transfer case replacement (thankfully, still in warranty). I've sifted through multiple threads here and elsewhere to try to find any info I could, then stumbled across the NHTSA website that lists TSBs, recalls, complaints, etc., for all vehicles. Absolute wealth of info, for free.

Here's the link for the Macan transfer case TSB: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...42255-9999.pdf
Here's the link to the general NHTSA page where you can enter your vehicle info and find all recalls, complaints, and TSBs:
https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle

So it appears that an updated transfer case with "Gas Nitrocarburized" clutch plates became available about a month after my first transfer case failed. Bummer for me, but hopefully, I'll get the revised edition this go-around. This car has not been an easy ownership experience so far, as we've also had the leaky head gasket issue as well. We love driving the car, so fingers crossed that we can get everything sorted before the warranty expires in a few months.
The following 2 users liked this post by Snap Oversteer:
Deezel (01-13-2020), ottobon100 (12-17-2019)
Old 06-29-2020, 03:58 PM
shack993
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 124 Posts

What are the symptoms of the transfer case? And to what years does it generally apply?
Old 07-02-2020, 12:18 PM
Fiat88
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by shack993
What are the symptoms of the transfer case? And to what years does it generally apply?
The link below will help explain the vehicles impacted
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...38301-9999.pdf

Old 07-03-2020, 11:16 AM
ssort
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i might have missed it in that P doc but what are the symptoms of the transfer case failure?

thanks!
Old 07-06-2020, 09:45 AM
JC Lacayo
Pro

Received 135 Likes on 99 Posts

Symptoms: it will buck slightly, most notable in reverse. Sometimes when starting in drive. May feel small "speed bump" like feelings as it gets faster on the road. It will just worse and worse with time. Can evolve slowly. Normal is none of that; it should be smooth in any gear.
Old 07-06-2020, 10:34 AM
UH2
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by ssort
i might have missed it in that P doc but what are the symptoms of the transfer case failure?

thanks!
Originally Posted by JC Lacayo
Symptoms: it will buck slightly, most notable in reverse. Sometimes when starting in drive. May feel small "speed bump" like feelings as it gets faster on the road. It will just worse and worse with time. Can evolve slowly. Normal is none of that; it should be smooth in any gear.
To add additional context, for me it was much more noticeable at 1500 rpm or lower, moving after a full stop, or going up an incline, like getting off the highway.
Old 07-07-2020, 12:16 PM
CT_Peter
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 106 Posts

Has anyone had any luck getting this resolved for a recently out of warranty car? Since this was a known issue a long time ago, I'd be hopeful that a car with 50k miles and warranty expired in Feb would be looked at favorably, but was wondering if anyone had already gone down this road. My car has just started to exhibit this behavior and I'm torn between fighting it out with the dealership for service or just trading on a CPO with a warranty again.

Quick Reply: Transfer Case TSB and link to all Macan TSBs