Trickle charging and a 2020 Macan S

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2019, 01:10 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Trickle charging and a 2020 Macan S

Hi all,

I'd figured I post my experience with getting a trickle charger up and working with my 2020 Macan S that will hopefully help someone out down the line.

The hardware I'm using:

CTEK MXS-5.0
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

CTEK 12V adapter
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

**** NOTE, on the 2020 Macan S, the power to the 12V plug in the console will stop about 15 min after engine shutoff if it doesn't detect anything drawing a current. If you've ever sat in the car waiting for someone, after about 15 min you'll notice the clock reset back to 12 o'clock and stop moving. This is when the power is shut.

**** NOTE. To keep the power running on the 12V, plug the CTEK into the outlet within 15 min of shutting the car down. If you miss this window, you can also just cycle the key to the on position to power on all the systems, and then turn it back off. No need to start the engine.

I had an older CTEK-800 until from 2011 that I've used for many years with a 987 Cayman S and 981 GT4. Always plugged into the 12V cig lighter in center console or footwell outlet.

After taking delivery of a 2020 Macan S, I used to same CTEK unit to try and top the battery off.

For some reason this unit never showed the battery being fully topped off even after 4 days being connected. I've seen reports of this happening with the Macan and other CTEK units on another Macan specific forum. Since I needed a second charger anyway, I decided to order the latest CTEK unit and a 12V adapter.

This new CTEK unit took about 24 hours but I'm happy to report that it is showing a fully charged battery and has gone into a floating maintenance mode.

So if anyone is trying to use an older CTEK unit on the Macan, be aware of this!

-Pete

Last edited by PistolPete; 11-23-2019 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Grammar
The following users liked this post:
rnc (11-21-2019)
Old 11-22-2019, 06:52 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 254 Posts

This could be why:

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/CHARGER2.html
  • Macan - "**" Macan models can't be charged at the 12 volt plugs inside the car. To bypass this, visit your local Porsche dealer and they can code your Macan to accept a battery maintainer. Or purchase the additional battery clamps and charge the battery directly.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:34 AM
PistolPete
Drifting

Originally Posted by Pavegeno928
This could be why:

• Macan - "**" Macan models can't be charged at the 12 volt plugs inside the car. To bypass this, visit your local Porsche dealer and they can code your Macan to accept a battery maintainer. Or purchase the additional battery clamps and charge the battery directly.
Appreciate the additional data point.

From my reading on another Macan specific forum, they say that the early Macans (2014/2015) will need a dealer programming change to keep the 12V port live and a running change was made to 2016 and newer cars. Take all that info with a grain of salt since I didn't own a Macan or pay attention during that time.

What I can confirm is the following.

1. The 12V socket on my 2020 appears to remain on when a charger is plugged in. The CTEK will indicate a non-connected state if there was no power.
2. Without the CTEK plugged it, the 12V will shutdown overnight. I always plug in a dashcam to that port before driving and I've noted that it won't power up until I turn the key. The first few times I remember thinking my dashcam had died after getting no response before starting the engine.
Old 11-22-2019, 04:35 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PistolPete
Appreciate the additional data point.

From my reading on another Macan specific forum, they say that the early Macans (2014/2015) will need a dealer programming change to keep the 12V port live and a running change was made to 2016 and newer cars. Take all that info with a grain of salt since I didn't own a Macan or pay attention during that time.

What I can confirm is the following.

1. The 12V socket on my 2020 appears to remain on when a charger is plugged in. The CTEK will indicate a non-connected state if there was no power.
2. Without the CTEK plugged it, the 12V will shutdown overnight. I always plug in a dashcam to that port before driving and I've noted that it won't power up until I turn the key. The first few times I remember thinking my dashcam had died after getting no response before starting the engine.
Good info. I did call Suncoast to ask if the 2019 and later Macan still had this issue and they said yes. I did look at getting the alligator clips to direct connect, but the battery charging ports don't lend themselves to those. Not sure how to proceed. Not a big issue as the Macan gets driven daily, but I do like to have the flexibility if we go away on a trip. Thanks again.
The following users liked this post:
PistolPete (11-23-2019)
Old 11-26-2019, 07:42 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,352 Likes on 1,393 Posts

Don't you have a couple of posts under the hood for charging?

siberian

The best log distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow
Old 11-26-2019, 07:47 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by siberian
Don't you have a couple of posts under the hood for charging?

siberian

The best log distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow
Yes, but the positive post is concealed by a cover and the hood would have to be opened every time to remove the clip and close the cover to keep the elements off of it.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:34 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Sorry, I thought wanted to have this if you went on a trip and thus assumed you meant the vehicle would be in a covered garage.

siberian

The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow

Last edited by siberian; 11-26-2019 at 09:46 PM.
Old 11-26-2019, 09:47 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

So Pete to summarize is the charging socket inop after n minutes of the car shutting down on pre 2020 Macans or on older CTEK or both?

siberian

Old 11-27-2019, 04:38 AM
PistolPete
Drifting

Originally Posted by siberian
So Pete to summarize is the charging socket inop after n minutes of the car shutting down on pre 2020 Macans or on older CTEK or both?

siberian

- Older CTek will never show the battery fully topped off even after many days connected to the 12V socket

- Current model CTek will show fully charged on the 12V socket

- Connect the Ctek to the 12V within 15 min of engine shutoff. If you miss the window, cycle the key to accessory mode (no starting engine) then off again after you plug in the Ctek. The 2020 car will detect a current draw/charge on the 12V and NOT shut the power off the port.

Old 11-27-2019, 03:27 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

If you are using the supplied pig tail for a battery maintainer?
I don't like the fact that the pig tail does not have a fuse? Maybe it's just me.
To me, anything attached to the battery should be fused. Old school ...

Old 11-27-2019, 06:34 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

x2

siberian

Old 11-28-2019, 12:07 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,119 Posts

you can buy a pigtail with the fuse. i have these hard wired on all my cars... use a mix of the 3300. lithium, and 4.3. 4.3 is older version of the 5.0

This behavior with the internal sockets started with the 991/981 sports cars.
Old 11-29-2019, 10:05 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Pavegeno928
This could be why:

This was the case with my 2016BS. Despite repeated attempts, the dealer was unable to recode it, so I used the battery posts and pigtails for an easy, permanent solution. My brother has a 2018 Macan Turbo, and the dealer was able to recode it so the cigarette lighter input remained on. The older Porsches did not have this issue.
Old 01-06-2020, 06:38 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

With so many models, which one is the latest Ctek? TIA

siberian

Old 01-07-2020, 05:49 PM
MarkinMD
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Make sure your battery maintainer is set correctly based on the type of battery.

I received the following information from CTEK regarding the CTEK MUS 4.3 that I am using to maintain the Varta AGM battery that is installed in my 2018 Macan Sport Edition - "The normal “car mode” will produce a 14.4V bulk charge voltage that is acceptable for some AGM batteries. The “snowflake” or “AGM” mode will produce a 14.7V bulk charge voltage that many AGM batteries recommend. Please check with your AGM battery manufacturer for the recommended charge voltage on your battery."

The Varta website shows this charging profile - https://www.varta-automotive.com/bg-...-a-car-battery

After viewing the Varta web page, CTEK said - "Based on that graph, you should use the snowflake mode."

Quick Reply: Trickle charging and a 2020 Macan S