2020 Macan S, lost connection to the SIM card

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2019, 11:54 AM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts
Default 2020 Macan S, lost connection to the SIM card

OK, I feel like a complete idiot here.

The car was in the driveway so I figured I would connect it to my home WiFi for data updates, etc. In order to do that, I tapped on the data button on the SIM card icon (don't remember the exact sequence) and basically turned off the SIM.

I go and connect to my home wifi so it's all well and good.

Trouble is, I see no way to reactivate the SIM card for data access while moving! I've gone thru all the menus and haven't found a thing.

Any help is appreciated.

-Pete

Old 11-19-2019, 01:45 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

Fixed the issue and it was a real pain to figure out.

First off, why did I mess with this? The built in SIM card for data access in the car is only good for one year. At some point you'll need to get a subscription. I wanted to be sure I could get to a wireless data point either at home or to my phone acting as a Wifi hotspot.

As soon as you try to connect the car to a WiFi SSID, you'll get this warning screen:

Old 11-19-2019, 01:46 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

Read that screen carefully. There is no mention of "PCM Phone Module" at all, just Integrated SIM
Old 11-19-2019, 01:48 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

I went ahead and turned the integrated SIM off at this point.

I'm don't remember the steps, but I was able to connect the car to my home WiFi (Dorito-3) after browsing and connecting to it via another screen. See how I have to green signal indicator under the DATA column for Dorito-3?

Old 11-19-2019, 01:50 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

So now I wanted to enable the SIM card again otherwise the car will have no data connectivity on the road, but where the **** did the "Intergrated SIM card" item go?

Turns out it's buried under the SET --> Porsche Connect menu. The last menu item, "Activate PCM Phone"

PCM Phone Module is another name for the Integrated SIM card! And not to mention it's buried in the Porsche Connect menu. Why would I be looking there for a SIM card activation??

This photo below was taken AFTER I had activated the SIM card again so the menu shows "Deactivate PCM Phone Module". I was too scared to deactivate it again to get a proper photos.

Old 11-19-2019, 01:51 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

Now for the final photo. My SIM card is back and I also have my home WiFi connected.

Old 11-19-2019, 02:24 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Thank you for documenting this for the rest of us. I'm going to go about playing with this on my wife's Macan tonight. My hope is it might resolve the issue we hate about SiriusXM having the ability to pause/rewind (we don't want those features).

Quick Reply: 2020 Macan S, lost connection to the SIM card