Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Radio station previews?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2019 | 09:33 AM
993*David
Rennlist Member

Default Radio station previews?

Hi all. Macan 2020: Is there a way of having the PCM set up to show what satellite radio stations are playing? On my prior vehicle, as I scrolled through the list of stations I could see what was on. I can't figure out how to do this and presume (...) that it should be possible. Thanks.
Old 11-04-2019 | 01:45 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Not possible. Porsche's new PCM is a step backward rather than forward. No preview for you.

Sorry.

What was your old vehicle? As much as I loathed the interface of the XC60, we didn't buy one because of it, it was AWESOME for SiriusXM. Huge list of channels displayed and you could see what was on each one.
Old 11-04-2019 | 03:12 PM
993*David
Rennlist Member

Audi.

Seems absurd given that that is basic functionality.

Is this the same with all Porsche PCMs? If not maybe there's hope for a software upgrade...? Especially as the poorer cousins can do it.
Old 11-04-2019 | 03:53 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kevinm016
Audi.

Seems absurd given that that is basic functionality.

Is this the same with all Porsche PCMs? If not maybe there's hope for a software upgrade...? Especially as the poorer cousins can do it.
Ah, I couldn't bring to mind what other car we looked at that did it. It was the SQ5. Salesman botched the sale or we would have had it over a year ago. Didn't work out so bad for me though because when she put off buying a vehicle I bought my 911.

I can't imagine that functionality being added with a software update. Heck, we can't even scroll through Favorites with the new PCM. Now THAT is basic functionality. Station previews? Good luck!
Old 11-05-2019 | 07:38 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Hi all. Macan 2020: Is there a way of having the PCM set up to show what satellite radio stations are playing? On my prior vehicle, as I scrolled through the list of stations I could see what was on. I can't figure out how to do this and presume (...) that it should be possible. Thanks.
It can be set-up to display on just about any screen you have (Home, Nav, Media, Phone, etc.) via the Widget function. However, I prefer the HOME screen because I can combine, navigation map and directions, weather, speed dial, and Sirius/terrestrial radio stations all displayed on one screen.

I set up the HOME screen to display all my favorite stations (Terrestrial and XM/Sirius) as well as the current station with a forward/backward touch screen channel button. I do wish they had a hard fwd/bckwd hard key as in previous generations of PCM.

Just go to the HOME screen (top left symbol of a house. While stopped and not moving, press the OPTION key and set up your home screen to display this info.

This PCM has far more capability than my 2014 911 PCM, but you have to spend some time learning it to get the good stuff out of it. The big key is to have your PORSCHE ID active via their website and get the dealer to activate the CAR CONNECT module in the car via PIWIS.

For detailed explanation see this post: https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...she-wrong.html

This PCM is a bit more complex. If you are not willing to read the manual in-depth and spend an hour pushing buttons, you will be frustrated. If, however, you are willing to spend some time, it's a fantastic resource that has much more capability and flexibility than the previous generation of PCM.

Good luck and hit me back with questions after you review the linked thread.

Last edited by Pavegeno928; 11-05-2019 at 07:55 AM.
Old 11-05-2019 | 07:40 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
Ah, I couldn't bring to mind what other car we looked at that did it. It was the SQ5. Salesman botched the sale or we would have had it over a year ago. Didn't work out so bad for me though because when she put off buying a vehicle I bought my 911.

I can't imagine that functionality being added with a software update. Heck, we can't even scroll through Favorites with the new PCM. Now THAT is basic functionality. Station previews? Good luck!
You sure can set up station previews...see the information I posted in your previous thread.

You can also set the PCM to start each Sirius/XM channel at the beginning of a song or to live. I like changing Sirius/XM channels via my favorites and hearing the beginning of each station. My wife digs that functionality of never missing a whole song. Pretty cool.
Old 11-05-2019 | 08:37 AM
993*David
Rennlist Member

Thanks Pavegeno928. That's interesting and reassuring.

I will spend more time playing. One issue now is that I haven't been able to activate the Porsche ID/Connect as there is a "maintenance problem" and "once they've heard back from Germany" they'll let me know...
Old 11-05-2019 | 10:28 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pavegeno928
You sure can set up station previews...see the information I posted in your previous thread.

You can also set the PCM to start each Sirius/XM channel at the beginning of a song or to live. I like changing Sirius/XM channels via my favorites and hearing the beginning of each station. My wife digs that functionality of never missing a whole song. Pretty cool.
One of us is confused about what he is asking. Could very well be me!

I don't think he is asking about simply displaying Favorites. I believe he is asking about showing what song is currently playing on another station without changing to that station.

The PCM can indeed show a list of your Favorite stations.

So in my Macan I see this for my Favorites:

Alt Nation
80s
90s
Classic Vinyl

Other vehicles, like the Q5 and XC60, not only display your Favorites, but what is currently playing on those channels! So you would see something like this (obviously in a nicer format):

Alt Nation: The Killers - Somebody Told Me
80s: Michael Jackson - Bad
90s: Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit
Classic Vinyl: Led Zeppelin - Whole Lotta Love

(BTW, my wife is much happier with the Macan after implementing your suggestions! )

Last edited by CaymanSinAR; 11-05-2019 at 11:07 AM.
Old 11-05-2019 | 10:37 AM
993*David
Rennlist Member

I don't think he is asking about simply displaying Favorites. I believe he is asking about showing what song is currently playing on another station without changing to that station.
Correct - I am asking about showing what song is currently playing on another station without changing to that station
Old 11-05-2019 | 05:18 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Thanks Pavegeno928. That's interesting and reassuring.

I will spend more time playing. One issue now is that I haven't been able to activate the Porsche ID/Connect as there is a "maintenance problem" and "once they've heard back from Germany" they'll let me know...
Once they get that fixed it's the key to remembering your favorite destinations online. You can still save them to the PCM as well.
Old 11-05-2019 | 05:20 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Alt Nation
80s
90s
Classic Vinyl

Other vehicles, like the Q5 and XC60, not only display your Favorites, but what is currently playing on those channels! So you would see something like this (obviously in a nicer format):

(BTW, my wife is much happier with the Macan after implementing your suggestions! )
Yes, I misunderstood. I will do some digging if there is a way to show titles but I don't think so.

Glad my inputs helped. I've toyed with doing a YouTube broadcast taking folks from factory default to setting everything up. But then I realized Porsche should do this and pay me a ridiculous amount of money.
Old 11-07-2019 | 10:12 AM
jll1011
Racer

[QUOTE=CaymanSinAR;16211733]One of us is confused about what he is asking. Could very well be me!

Alt Nation
80s
90s
Classic Vinyl

With your choice above, I was wondering if you were driving my car! haha
Old 11-07-2019 | 10:11 PM
993*David
Rennlist Member

So today I was in a 2018 Macan with the old PCM and what do you know, that one does do what it should do - show what's on other stations by scrolling through them without changing to those stations.............
Old 11-11-2019 | 08:23 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

I have found how you can display channels and the artist/track that is playing. It is completely customizable to sort by artist or track. You can also filter out categories you don't like to limit the amount of data displayed. Works very nicely.

Unfortunately I posted the response in the wrong thread so here is the link: https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...she-wrong.html

Start at my post #32. Good luck!
Old 11-11-2019 | 11:39 AM
993*David
Rennlist Member

That is helpful. It's a pity that you can't customize the list to show just favorites.

Quick Reply: Radio station previews?