Macan 2014-Current

Service Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 08:34 AM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger
Ok. How exactly does one go about finding "a trusted Indy" in their local area? What metrics go into this? Do they have the exact same resources as factory-trained technicians? What happens if a repair goes completely south (e.g., leave oil out of the car, double gasket, falls off a lift, etc.)?

For everybody who swears by their indy shops, there's at least one other horror story.

Maybe I'm biased because I do have a bit of anecdotal experience. I tried the whole indy shop thing with my past BMWs, and suffice to say it did not work out. Several people on the forums chimed in about how great this place was; they tried to gouge me worse than the dealer, repairs were crap, no convenience amenities, and last I checked they were run out of town a couple years ago. This particular place was run by an extremely shady dude, but I didn't know that until after I gave them my business. And they somehow convinced tons of people before me that they were legit. The whole "they've been in business for years", "they build race cars, they know the brand inside and out", "he's a great guy, he'll treat you right", etc. etc.

All that said, I dread going to the dealer for service because it absolutely is a ripoff. But as things sit currently, I don't see another option. I'd still be willing to consider an independent shop, but it's going to take more than some random guys on a forum to convince me that it's worth the what, 20-30% cost differential for peace of mind.
Similar experience here! Indy actually quoted me a price HIGHER than the dealer!
Old 09-10-2019, 04:59 PM
PSEE
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by rasetsu
That is an absolute rip off. All 6 plugs on the Macan are very easy to access.

...well, 5 are relatively 'easy' to access and the sixth is a pain in the a** - under the coolant expansion tank.

Easy is relative - as long as one already possesses several 3/8" wobble and strait extensions as well as a set of
(each) male and female Torx sockets/drivers.

Agreed, the price the OP was charged is pretty steep - I changed them on my MT a few months ago.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:09 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger
Ok. How exactly does one go about finding "a trusted Indy" in their local area? What metrics go into this? Do they have the exact same resources as factory-trained technicians? What happens if a repair goes completely south (e.g., leave oil out of the car, double gasket, falls off a lift, etc.)?
My dealer wanted $550 for an oil change. My indy charged 225ish.

What if a repair goes south? I took my BMW X5 into the BMW dealer. Oil change and oil cooler repair. 7-800 dollars, as extended warranty picked up the oil cooler seal repair with the 200 dollar deductible. 2 hours after pickup, the engine threw a rod.
I was accused of being negligent on my servicing. Which was odd as every service was done on time and at that dealer. They completely washed their hands of responsibility and my second phone call to BMW of north America 20 minutes after the news. They said it was a dealer issue and refused to get involved. Both dealer and HO, left me to hang. They insisted that the new engine was $26k. We eventually settled, with the warranty company picking up the bill. I still think the Union mechanic made a mistake. BUT, i could only talk to the union steward. The mechanic did everything by the book, i was told. It appears union shops don't make mistakes.
Did they take responsibility for a possible error? No. Did the dealer help me out? No. Did Head office get involved? No they refused.
After I got my vehicle back after 59 days. I commented to the service manage that my vehicle was rinsed but not clean. And when I say clean, I had just fully vacuumed and detailed the interior and shampooed the engine. With the car being open for two months it was dusty and sandy. and now wet and sandy. Not liking my tone, the service manager said to me "right now I just want to punch you in the face". I suggested that he take a swing and said I would go down like a FIFA soccer player.

I brought this experience up with the dealer principal and BMW USA and Canada. I'm not looking for anything. Just relaying my experience to them. Did they care? No.

If something does go south, anywhere, with whoever. You will be on your own. Cover your butts, get paperwork, get estimates in writing. Get three estimates on work. Give your money to who you want. That is your super power.

My indy does fair work for me. My Porsche dealer? is not a franchise, it is HO owned. I even asked the manager if the back mechanic shop was unionized. It was not. He thought it an odd question.
Know who you are contracting with.

I have a pdk service and oil change due. I'm sure I will need brakes and rotors too. Brake parts are about 1000 bucks, waiting for black friday for 15% +/- off?
Old 09-11-2019, 01:25 AM
wwahl
Pro

Received 135 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
My dealer wanted $550 for an oil change. My indy charged 225ish.

What if a repair goes south? I took my BMW X5 into the BMW dealer. Oil change and oil cooler repair. 7-800 dollars, as extended warranty picked up the oil cooler seal repair with the 200 dollar deductible. 2 hours after pickup, the engine threw a rod.
I was accused of being negligent on my servicing. Which was odd as every service was done on time and at that dealer. They completely washed their hands of responsibility and my second phone call to BMW of north America 20 minutes after the news. They said it was a dealer issue and refused to get involved. Both dealer and HO, left me to hang. They insisted that the new engine was $26k. We eventually settled, with the warranty company picking up the bill. I still think the Union mechanic made a mistake. BUT, i could only talk to the union steward. The mechanic did everything by the book, i was told. It appears union shops don't make mistakes.
Did they take responsibility for a possible error? No. Did the dealer help me out? No. Did Head office get involved? No they refused.
After I got my vehicle back after 59 days. I commented to the service manage that my vehicle was rinsed but not clean. And when I say clean, I had just fully vacuumed and detailed the interior and shampooed the engine. With the car being open for two months it was dusty and sandy. and now wet and sandy. Not liking my tone, the service manager said to me "right now I just want to punch you in the face". I suggested that he take a swing and said I would go down like a FIFA soccer player.

I brought this experience up with the dealer principal and BMW USA and Canada. I'm not looking for anything. Just relaying my experience to them. Did they care? No.

If something does go south, anywhere, with whoever. You will be on your own. Cover your butts, get paperwork, get estimates in writing. Get three estimates on work. Give your money to who you want. That is your super power.

My indy does fair work for me. My Porsche dealer? is not a franchise, it is HO owned. I even asked the manager if the back mechanic shop was unionized. It was not. He thought it an odd question.
Know who you are contracting with.

I have a pdk service and oil change due. I'm sure I will need brakes and rotors too. Brake parts are about 1000 bucks, waiting for black friday for 15% +/- off?
If I was in your position I would video record any possible thing you do that includes your dealer. Pretty sad, isn't it? Your Porsche experience has not been good.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:05 AM
ottobon100
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tpup
Thanks for all the feedback. I'll starting asking around the PCA for recommendations for another service source. I've got all the tools to DIY I just don't have the time...
As soon as I purchased my first Porsche I joined PCA. Second thing was to ask members where they had their Porsches serviced. Some definitely preferred the dealer but a great number recommended two local independent shops. I have used both of the independents for different services and fixes and couldn't be more satisfied with them. The owner of one was a Porsche certified tech who worked them over 15 years. Both have all the latest equipment ($) and keep up to date. One of them even gives the 10% PCA member discount like the dealer. My Macan is certified preowned so any warranty fix I'm taking it to the dealer as independents can't cover the cost of warranty repairs. Recent case was the replacement of my transfer case. Replacement cost at the dealer was zero $.
The following users liked this post:
rasetsu (09-11-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 12:24 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by wwahl
If I was in your position I would video record any possible thing you do that includes your dealer. Pretty sad, isn't it? Your Porsche experience has not been good.
I'm a pretty happy guy. My Porsche dealership has been pretty good. All premium oil changes are 5oo bucks. Porsche, BMW, Benz,OOOO. Some are included for the first 3 years for free, some are buried in a charged service plan.
Ten liters of oil @$10/L, 50 dollar filter, 90min of shop time @$2oo/hr = 500-ish dollars. I'm only suggesting you know what you're contracting and know your costs.

I'm a wiser consumer, through my experiences.
How is a cabin filter charged at 0.40 of an hour? My 14 year old did it in 5 min, from a Utube video, while I drank five sips of a beer.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:49 AM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 143 Posts

How many service their own? I have always done my own servicing on my 911. It has never seen a mechanic. I am not a mechanic but do oil, filters plugs brakes my self. IF it needed something over and above I would bring it in but it never has...
Old 09-12-2019, 12:24 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 885 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Dranon
How many service their own? I have always done my own servicing on my 911. It has never seen a mechanic. I am not a mechanic but do oil, filters plugs brakes my self. IF it needed something over and above I would bring it in but it never has...
I do oil, filters, and plugs myself. Brakes, I buy the components myself and take them to my local independent to install.

Quick Reply: Service Question