Macan 2014-Current

Porsche really needs to ramp it up with .2 Gen Macan Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 09:05 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Porsche really needs to ramp it up with .2 Gen Macan Turbo

Has anyone else noticed the trend in the performance SUV/crossover class that includes the Macan? M-B GLC63s, Stelvio Quadrifoglios, upcoming BMW X3-series M/Competition models, etc..... all providing 500+ hp power levels. Now reliability, desirability, value, etc. are all additional debates with these models, but I’m just talking about power levels here.

I haven’t seen any speculation yet on what’s coming for the next top-level Macan, other than likely use of the new 2.9 liter variant for the Turbo. Up to this point the 3.6 440hp Turbo w/ Performance Package has been the most powerful offering, already falling short of existing competition even last year, never mind what’s coming!

It’ll be interesting to finally see exactly what Porsche has planned to compete in this segment.

Thoughts? Anyone heard/read any additional info?
Old 08-08-2019, 01:10 AM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Received 173 Likes on 93 Posts

I agree with you that Porsche needs to up their game with the new turbo and/or turbo s. If they max it out at 435hp I may be looking at a glc63 now that it has the updated interior.

I’m afraid they won’t want to give it too much power to protect the cayenne but I don’t want/need that large of a car. If they did come out with a turbo s or something with the Panamera gts v8 I’m afraid to see the final price. I’m not sure if a v8 would even fit in a Macan.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:56 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 287 Posts

Just for the sake of discussion, IMHO, hp is but one criteria. Build quality, fit and finish, reliability, resale value, options selection, etc. are key considerations.. As I've aged, I find that hp is somewhat over-rated. Is it just for bragging rights? Unless you plan on tracking the vehicle or taking it to the local drag strip, are you ever going to have an opportunity to use all that potential?
Old 08-08-2019, 09:59 AM
smohr33
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 90 Posts

The RS5 has 444hp. I would expect a Macan Turbo to have similar.

Maybe a PP in the works with a bit more power? There must be a reason why we haven't seen the car yet...

I test drove an RS5 sportback and it was a monster, felt way stronger than 444hp. If Porsche can get another 40-50 hp out of that engine the I'm sure the Turbo will be right in line with the Stelvio, X3M and GLC63S.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:42 AM
PSEE
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

The 2018 Panamera 4S loaner I recently drove had the 2.9L 440HP 8-speed PDK in it. I could see such a setup making
its way into a .2 Macan Turbo model...

Old 08-08-2019, 11:06 AM
JC Lacayo
Pro

Received 136 Likes on 100 Posts

"reliability"
I thought our MBz was one of the best driving SUVs ever as long as the parts were replaced every year. It cost $3000 in parts maintenance every year I had it beyond 4 years.
I prefer Porsche make more headway with transfer cases than HP, tbh.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:29 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Just for the sake of discussion, IMHO, hp is but one criteria. Build quality, fit and finish, reliability, resale value, options selection, etc. are key considerations.. As I've aged, I find that hp is somewhat over-rated. Is it just for bragging rights? Unless you plan on tracking the vehicle or taking it to the local drag strip, are you ever going to have an opportunity to use all that potential?
TRACKRAT, agree with you 100% but again as I mentioned in my original post, with this discussion I'm just focusing on the power aspect (since these are performance vehicles afterall). All the other criteria you mentioned is extremely important in the overall scheme of things, I agree, but this is just about the power aspect. Keep in mind that the power rating is also an important marketing tool in this segment for the manufacturers. Porsche needs to keep competitive in that area obviously with their top model Macan (and I believe they will).

Last edited by CarGuyNVA; 08-08-2019 at 11:30 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 08-08-2019, 05:02 PM
Knutsm01
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 99 Posts

Does anyone have any idea of when they are planning on releasing it? I heard it got pushed back.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:46 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 143 Likes on 111 Posts

Remember Pirelli's tire ads from a few years ago? "Power is nothing without control". Remember now? We're there now. The suspension of any vehicle MUST be able to handle the additional HP. You think the Stelvio, GLC63S and the BMW M SUV's are great in the HP department? I would not have an Alfa Romeo if I was offered one for free. Most long term reviews state the driver would never buy one. BMW's? The MB is flat dangerous at its limits. I've been driving BMW's since '82 (X5 4.8's x 2,M 3's all manuals x 4, a 2001 740i Sport short body version, 525's with manual trannies x 2). In every case, EVERY CASE, I wound up modified the suspensions, tires and brakes to make them handle and brake better. They had the *****, but they didn't handle very well at speed or in emergency situations. I've also owned two GT500's. One modded to 650HP. But I also rebult the ENTIRE suspension and brake system high higher quality parts than OEM BEFORE I touched the engines.

To the OP, you want high HP. Why? Gonna go to the strip and track it? You gonna drag from red light to red light? You just want bragging rights? Here's one: you own a f'g Porsche! And not a Stelvio or a BMW. A PORSCHE!!! Consider yourself a very lucky man.

True story: I ordered/bought a '95 M3 Coupe (Hellrot Red on Black Vader seats, 5 speed). I was fortunate to buy a Dinan SC kit the following year and had BMW install it. HP stock was 240. After CAI and SC, I was at 350. Back then, Momentum BMW here in Houston had a 2nd-3rd gear (depending on direction) track behind the dealership. There was a retired professional racer (now deceased) named Armondo Trentini. The way BMW got you to buy a BMW was to let you bring any other vehicle you were thinking of purchasing. Armondo would take the potential buyer around the track in the vehicle the potential buyer was thinking of getting. He would then drive a comparable BMW vehicle again with the potential buyer. Many BMW's got sold those early years.

To my point: I got to know Armondo fairly well over that first year of ownership. One day I came over with my 'tricked out' M3. He said you drive first. I did. Thought I was hot $hit. Then he drove. Over the course of five laps he went faster each time until I said please stop. He asked me why. My answer: I was scared. I did not realize just how powerful my little M3 was in the right hands. In other words, very few of us ever have the chance to drive our vehicles at their limits. Even with a measly 350HP. Since then with every car my wife, my son or I pursched for ourselves, we wait until it's a really crappy day (heavy rain/wet surface) outside and go behind a big strip center or mall with no one around and get stupid with our vehicles. Why? To see what their real capabilities are within a 'controlled' and safe environment before we have to find out in an emergency situation on the road with other cars, debris or a stupid driver.

Out of all the vehicles you mentioned, none of them handle better than the Porsche Macan. None are as safe.

I'll stick with what I have for now. Even at a 'low' 400HP.
The following users liked this post:
crunch527 (08-14-2019)
Old 08-08-2019, 10:25 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by ///Bruce
Remember Pirelli's tire ads from a few years ago? "Power is nothing without control". Remember now? We're there now. The suspension of any vehicle MUST be able to handle the additional HP. You think the Stelvio, GLC63S and the BMW M SUV's are great in the HP department? I would not have an Alfa Romeo if I was offered one for free. Most long term reviews state the driver would never buy one. BMW's? The MB is flat dangerous at its limits. I've been driving BMW's since '82 (X5 4.8's x 2,M 3's all manuals x 4, a 2001 740i Sport short body version, 525's with manual trannies x 2). In every case, EVERY CASE, I wound up modified the suspensions, tires and brakes to make them handle and brake better. They had the *****, but they didn't handle very well at speed or in emergency situations. I've also owned two GT500's. One modded to 650HP. But I also rebult the ENTIRE suspension and brake system high higher quality parts than OEM BEFORE I touched the engines.

To the OP, you want high HP. Why? Gonna go to the strip and track it? You gonna drag from red light to red light? You just want bragging rights? Here's one: you own a f'g Porsche! And not a Stelvio or a BMW. A PORSCHE!!! Consider yourself a very lucky man.

True story: I ordered/bought a '95 M3 Coupe (Hellrot Red on Black Vader seats, 5 speed). I was fortunate to buy a Dinan SC kit the following year and had BMW install it. HP stock was 240. After CAI and SC, I was at 350. Back then, Momentum BMW here in Houston had a 2nd-3rd gear (depending on direction) track behind the dealership. There was a retired professional racer (now deceased) named Armondo Trentini. The way BMW got you to buy a BMW was to let you bring any other vehicle you were thinking of purchasing. Armondo would take the potential buyer around the track in the vehicle the potential buyer was thinking of getting. He would then drive a comparable BMW vehicle again with the potential buyer. Many BMW's got sold those early years.

To my point: I got to know Armondo fairly well over that first year of ownership. One day I came over with my 'tricked out' M3. He said you drive first. I did. Thought I was hot $hit. Then he drove. Over the course of five laps he went faster each time until I said please stop. He asked me why. My answer: I was scared. I did not realize just how powerful my little M3 was in the right hands. In other words, very few of us ever have the chance to drive our vehicles at their limits. Even with a measly 350HP. Since then with every car my wife, my son or I pursched for ourselves, we wait until it's a really crappy day (heavy rain/wet surface) outside and go behind a big strip center or mall with no one around and get stupid with our vehicles. Why? To see what their real capabilities are within a 'controlled' and safe environment before we have to find out in an emergency situation on the road with other cars, debris or a stupid driver.

Out of all the vehicles you mentioned, none of them handle better than the Porsche Macan. None are as safe.

I'll stick with what I have for now. Even at a 'low' 400HP.
Wow, relax....breath man, breath!! I hear ya, I too have owned decades of performance/enthusiast vehicles to include major tuner examples. I fully understand what you’re getting at and don’t necessarily disagree.

But AGAIN, this is just about Porsche needing to up their game a bit with their top future Macan offering in the marketplace to stay competitive in this segment. Despite what we all individually think of these levels of OEM power we’re seeing available these days, the pace marches on, and it becomes a big marketing point for the manufacturers (call it bragging rights or whatever you choose). Your 400hp 3.6, fantastic and relevant in this segment at the time it was introduced (2014), and I agree it’s still more than enough today for the vast majority of us. But yesterday’s power levels in today’s market just doesn’t cut it. The performance market rapidly escalates these days and moves on.

And yes, just for the record, I’ve done more than my fair share of track time, drags and road course, as well as HP driving schools etc. So in those cases, yeah, POWER does/did matter to me! I just enjoy performance, especially OEM performance....I appreciate the engineering and technology that goes into it. As auto enthusiasts, we’re ALL very fortunate these days with this immense variety of interesting options! Especially for a guy like me that began driving in the dismal automotive environment that was the late 1970s.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:26 PM
krabman
Pro

Received 285 Likes on 143 Posts

Bah, if you're afraid of hp buy something with less. Some of us find we enjoy hp and lots of it. People used to say too much horsepower was a good starting point and if it kills an idiot or two, well, the gene pool is supposed to get better. As to being lucky owning a Porsche: I earned mine through hard work and diligence, no one gave me a thing and luck was not a factor.
Old 08-13-2019, 04:57 PM
Obturate
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I enjoy having a great set of brakes.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:00 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Originally Posted by krabman
Bah, if you're afraid of hp buy something with less. Some of us find we enjoy hp and lots of it. People used to say too much horsepower was a good starting point and if it kills an idiot or two, well, the gene pool is supposed to get better. As to being lucky owning a Porsche: I earned mine through hard work and diligence, no one gave me a thing and luck was not a factor.
I tuned my old GT500 to 650HP. That's ~555HP at the wheels. Please don't suggest to me I'm afraid of HP. You talk about luck and work? Think about this: the harder you work the luckier you get... And, I'm very lucky.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:07 PM
///Bruce
Pro

CarGuyNVA, I'm okay. Just trying to make a point that everyone is chasing that elusive extra HP in the next car and the next car and the.... You get the idea. Fast today; slow tomorrow. Most of us here have been fortunate to have had (and still have) some really great rides of all years, brands, models, etc. And most of us here have modded the snot out of them again chasing that extra pinch of HP. A filter, trim a piece of filter cover, cut up a hood, buy a tuner, add an exhaust. You know the drill. The list is always endless and aftermarket companies know this and market stuff targeting crazy HP people like us. I tell my wife it's a hormonal imbalance in the male species. We can't help ourselves, can we?

We're cool.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:41 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by ///Bruce
CarGuyNVA, I'm okay. Just trying to make a point that everyone is chasing that elusive extra HP in the next car and the next car and the.... You get the idea. Fast today; slow tomorrow. Most of us here have been fortunate to have had (and still have) some really great rides of all years, brands, models, etc. And most of us here have modded the snot out of them again chasing that extra pinch of HP. A filter, trim a piece of filter cover, cut up a hood, buy a tuner, add an exhaust. You know the drill. The list is always endless and aftermarket companies know this and market stuff targeting crazy HP people like us. I tell my wife it's a hormonal imbalance in the male species. We can't help ourselves, can we?

We're cool.
Yep, agree...been there, done that for sure over the years, as have many of us. Understand completely!

Quick Reply: Porsche really needs to ramp it up with .2 Gen Macan Turbo