Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Shopping for a Macan. Essential options?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 10:41 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 457 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by KM1959
What's wrong with a sunroof? I don't use mine a lot but when I want to it's nice to have. And an FM radio? I still haven't programmed any stations and my car is a '15. Not judging - just asking.
What I personally don't like about the sunroof is the heat intrusion. The shade helps, but it's a big window that lets heat in. Not that I probably would notice the difference, but it also puts more weight high in the vehicle raising the center of gravity. The impact of that is more in my head than anything else. It's also a cost for something that I need to keep reminding myself to try to use. I've had the car about 3 weeks and love the car, but would have loved it just as much without the sunroof. The spec I would have ordered would not have had the sunroof.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:26 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by mwar99
What I personally don't like about the sunroof is the heat intrusion. The shade helps, but it's a big window that lets heat in. Not that I probably would notice the difference, but it also puts more weight high in the vehicle raising the center of gravity. The impact of that is more in my head than anything else. It's also a cost for something that I need to keep reminding myself to try to use. I've had the car about 3 weeks and love the car, but would have loved it just as much without the sunroof. The spec I would have ordered would not have had the sunroof.
We live in Alabama. It's hot. We specced our '19 S without the sunroof and went with the Thermally and Noise Insulated Glass to try to cut down on heat intrusion as much as possible. Every Macan I test drove had the sunroof. My gripes were that it simply took too long to open and close and the heat intrusion and rollover concerns. I've also read that there are no established safety standards for sunroof glass unlike that for the windshield. My `14 911 has the sunroof with the mesh screen and I enjoy it. It's much smaller and I only notice a negligible amount of heat from it. I bought the car used so settle for it. I love it on the sport cars, but not a big fan no the big vehicles. My $0.02.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:44 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverBullets
The Cayenne is great if you need the additional space. My biggest issue with the Cayenne is the transmission. The PDK in the Macan is far superior to the tiptronic in the Cayenne. My biggest complaint with the Cayenne (which I think is a excellent vehicle by the way) is the transmission. The Macan completely remedies that. My dad had never driven a Macan and after spending 5 minutes behind the wheel he goes 'I wish the cayenne felt like this. The PDK makes a world of difference'.

With that said, size is the next biggest factor. If you need the space, the Cayenne is the pick. The Macan is fairly small. It's basically a taller sedan. The trunk is actually less wide in the Macan than my wife's previous VW GLI.
As a former Cayenne Turbo owner (x2) and now a Macan GTS owner, I can agree with all of this. During an extended service for my 2nd CTT, I had a Macan S and then a GTS as service loaners (we're talking a month each). That sold me on the Macan. I preferred the overall driving dynamics to the Cayenne. I still needed some utility, but no longer needed the size of the Cayenne.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:08 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 116 Posts

My new Sti, does not have a sunroof. What I like? Lots of headroom. At least 3 inches.
My BMW pano roof, has a hard cover. Keep the sun out, keep the heat out, keeps the cold -4o out too.
My Macan - too hot, too cold, says Mrs Smoke (aka goldie locks)
I even went so far as to ceramic tint the inside of my sunroof. It helps with the heat, but not the cold.

Old 06-13-2019, 04:36 PM
SilverBullets
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
My new Sti, does not have a sunroof. What I like? Lots of headroom. At least 3 inches.
My BMW pano roof, has a hard cover. Keep the sun out, keep the heat out, keeps the cold -4o out too.
I even went so far as to ceramic tint the inside of my sunroof. It helps with the heat, but not the cold.

Did the ceramic tint help much? Our Macan has the Pano roof and it's parked in Phoenix... Outside... it's 112 today.... Everything is hot regardless but I've considered tinting it to help cut down a little.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:07 PM
PSEE
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

pretty consistent with the items listed above...

sport chrono
PDLS+
AS with PASM
PTV+
Burmester (woo-hoo!!!)
18-way seats
PSE
20" or 21" wheels

premium package plus

good luck!

Old 06-13-2019, 10:34 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 305 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
As a former Cayenne Turbo owner (x2) and now a Macan GTS owner, I can agree with all of this. During an extended service for my 2nd CTT, I had a Macan S and then a GTS as service loaners (we're talking a month each). That sold me on the Macan. I preferred the overall driving dynamics to the Cayenne. I still needed some utility, but no longer needed the size of the Cayenne.
I'm on the slower end of the Cayenne/Macan spectrum, but total agreement. The Cayenne (Diesel) was exceptional on the highway, but not really that fun around town and back roads. The Macan (SE) is really a hoot. We also no longer needed the utility of the big Porsche, and much prefer the fun handling of the Macan.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:00 PM
KM1959
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mwar99
I hear you on the heat but the benefits on warm evenings makes it kind of nice. It was already on my car but, like you, if I was specifying I might not get it.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:48 PM
JonCanadian
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Pavegeno928
We live in Alabama. It's hot. We specced our '19 S without the sunroof and went with the Thermally and Noise Insulated Glass to try to cut down on heat intrusion as much as possible. Every Macan I test drove had the sunroof. My gripes were that it simply took too long to open and close and the heat intrusion and rollover concerns. I've also read that there are no established safety standards for sunroof glass unlike that for the windshield. My `14 911 has the sunroof with the mesh screen and I enjoy it. It's much smaller and I only notice a negligible amount of heat from it. I bought the car used so settle for it. I love it on the sport cars, but not a big fan no the big vehicles. My $0.02.
We live in a cold climate but ordered our GTS without a sunroof. Wife and I realized that we never open sunroofs even in vehicles that had one. One downside to going sunroof-less though is resale. According to our SA, most people buying a used Macan want a sunroof so if you get rid of it at 3-5 yrs old you will take a bigger depreciation hit. We keep our cars for about a decade so not having a sunroof doesn't matter.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:49 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 457 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by KM1959
I hear you on the heat but the benefits on warm evenings makes it kind of nice. It was already on my car but, like you, if I was specifying I might not get it.
Agree. It was already on mine too.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:01 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverBullets
Did the ceramic tint help much? Our Macan has the Pano roof and it's parked in Phoenix... Outside... it's 112 today.... Everything is hot regardless but I've considered tinting it to help cut down a little.
I think it did. Either way I'm happy. If it cuts down on any UV to me? That is what I'm looking for.
I do have one of those laser heat guns, but I don't have a before measurement.
Maybe, I'll go see my neighbour? She has the same car. She already thinks I'm odd.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:53 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG smoke

I am really surprised it does not come with a cover??????????
Old 06-18-2019, 01:17 AM
JDailey
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 55 Posts

I try to keep mine cars nicely optioned without going overboard. If I really wanted diamond-stitch leather seats, B&O stereo, virtual cockpit, etc. I'd get an Audi SQ5 to $65K with *everything*.
My Macan would be as follows:

Base Macan
Sapphire Blue
Premium Package Plus (Bose, Panoramic Sunroof, etc.)
18-way seats
Navigation
Black window trim
Lane-change assist

And that comes to ~$63K. Maybe I'd add the "sports exhaust" just for the quad tips, but is it really that important? I'd have a hard time spending too much more on a depreciating asset. I also have a hard time swallowing the abysmal gas mileage of anything other than Base model.

For context, I currently drive a 2014 BMW X1 with the "N55" twin-scroll turbo, inline six cylinder good for 300 hp and 300lb-ft of torque in a package that weighs <4,000lbs. It's great, but I can think of one (1) time I've actually been able to tap into that kind of power and it was on a Seattle-Utah road trip. Otherwise, the four cylinder more than meets my needs. I don't track my cars and I live in a congested, urban area. I have all of the options that came on a 2014 X1: Panoramic sunroof, Nav, backup camera, parking sensors, H/K stereo, leather, sports seats, etc. It's great, but I've never felt that I'm missing a hydraulic suspension or "torque vectoring".

-James
Seattle, WA
Old 06-20-2019, 01:56 AM
wwahl
Pro

Received 138 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by JDailey
I try to keep mine cars nicely optioned without going overboard. If I really wanted diamond-stitch leather seats, B&O stereo, virtual cockpit, etc. I'd get an Audi SQ5 to $65K with *everything*.
My Macan would be as follows:

Base Macan
Sapphire Blue
Premium Package Plus (Bose, Panoramic Sunroof, etc.)
18-way seats
Navigation
Black window trim
Lane-change assist

And that comes to ~$63K. Maybe I'd add the "sports exhaust" just for the quad tips, but is it really that important? I'd have a hard time spending too much more on a depreciating asset. I also have a hard time swallowing the abysmal gas mileage of anything other than Base model.

For context, I currently drive a 2014 BMW X1 with the "N55" twin-scroll turbo, inline six cylinder good for 300 hp and 300lb-ft of torque in a package that weighs <4,000lbs. It's great, but I can think of one (1) time I've actually been able to tap into that kind of power and it was on a Seattle-Utah road trip. Otherwise, the four cylinder more than meets my needs. I don't track my cars and I live in a congested, urban area. I have all of the options that came on a 2014 X1: Panoramic sunroof, Nav, backup camera, parking sensors, H/K stereo, leather, sports seats, etc. It's great, but I've never felt that I'm missing a hydraulic suspension or "torque vectoring".

-James
Seattle, WA
Would you like the addresses of the local Seattle Subaru dealerships? You are obviously in the wrong car for your location.

Last edited by wwahl; 06-20-2019 at 02:23 AM. Reason: replied to the wrong email.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:21 AM
JDailey
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by wwahl
Would you like the addresses of the local Seattle Subaru dealerships? You are obviously in the wrong car for your location.
Why on earth would you be rude to a stranger? That's what ruins these forums. The OP asked a question, and I offered my point of view.

Clearly Porsche North America disagrees with you, because they choose to offer a base Macan, a Boxster with a four cylinder, etc. Sportiness is about agility, handling, light weight, torsional rigidity, etc. Not just brute horsepower.

I've been a BMW and Audi driver ever since buying my first car. The open roads where you can use 400 hp and 400 lb-ft of torque are few and far between. On the Long Island Expressway on a weekday, you're lucky to get over 30mph. The sorts of people who can afford to spend $100,000+ on a car are typically clustered in cities. And just about every major city in this country is booming, getting more crowded and having more traffic. I'm genuinely curious how this all plays out, because it feels like Porsche is painting itself into a corner with higher prices to justify higher performance that fewer and fewer people can actually tap into.

-James
Seattle, WA
The following 2 users liked this post by JDailey:
Dranon (09-10-2019), rasetsu (06-24-2019)

Quick Reply: Shopping for a Macan. Essential options?