Macan 2014-Current

3734 "Cannot shift into 2nd gear"

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 10:02 PM
egar2019
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 3734 "Cannot shift into 2nd gear"

I am seeing hard gear shifts after periods (30mins or more) of city driving ... I took the car in to the dealer and they tell me this behavior is to be expected and provided the below notice from Porsche.

https://imgur.com/a/471RbzH (image of the notice from Porsche)

Has anyone else experienced this? It seems odd that it would be the expected behavior.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:37 PM
Car 6
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a 2018 GTS that's about 9 months old with 15K miles. I have this problem at all times in either Sport or Sport+. In the normal start-up driving mode there is no problem with shifting, but the turbo lag keeps goading me to hit the Sport button. I don't know whether it's real or imagined, but if I go to Sport driving mode with the shocks in the Sport + mode the 1-2 shift is less annoying. But in either case, if I don't telegraph my interest in shifting before 4K by backing off the throttle, first gear revs well past 3500 from every traffic light. Kind of embarrassing in stop and go traffic.
Once I leave the stop and go environment the Sport drive / Sport+ shocks combination works very well. This situation is not time or heat related and applies at all times in the Sport or Sport+ drive settings.
Any insights or new developments would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:44 AM
PSEE
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Car 6
I have a 2018 GTS that's about 9 months old with 15K miles. I have this problem at all times in either Sport or Sport+. In the normal start-up driving mode there is no problem with shifting, but the turbo lag keeps goading me to hit the Sport button. I don't know whether it's real or imagined, but if I go to Sport driving mode with the shocks in the Sport + mode the 1-2 shift is less annoying. But in either case, if I don't telegraph my interest in shifting before 4K by backing off the throttle, first gear revs well past 3500 from every traffic light. Kind of embarrassing in stop and go traffic.
Once I leave the stop and go environment the Sport drive / Sport+ shocks combination works very well. This situation is not time or heat related and applies at all times in the Sport or Sport+ drive settings.
Any insights or new developments would be greatly appreciated.

OK - I'm guessing that your first references to Sport and Sport+ are for the throttle and not PASM. I'm a bit puzzled as to why setting the
PASM to Sport+ would affect the 1-2 gearshifts.

By setting your throttle/engine control to Sport or Sport+, you're telling the vehicle you want to hold the RPMs because your intent is 'sporty'
driving. Why would one want to rev past 3500 RPMs in stop & go traffic? Maximum fuel consumption?

It sounds to me as though you're using the throttle/engine Sport/Sport+ settings to overcome the shape of the GTS torque curve. Peak torque
369 is reached ~1700 RPM, and peak HP 360 is reached at ~5800 RPM. Compare this with the Turbo model - peak torque 406 is reached
at ~1350 RPM, and peak HP 400 is reached at ~6000 RPM.

If you want more torque sooner you'll need a different engine or some sort of tuning - piggyback or flash - to obtain that.

I believe what your are experiencing is one of the trade-offs between the GTS and a Turbo models. A Base or S model would offer even less
engine performance, while a Turbo PP even more than a Turbo.

It all comes down to money. The GTS cost less than the Turbo. If you want it to go (between stoplights) without all of the high revving drama,
it's going to cost additional money (noted above) to get that level of performance.

Good luck!
Old 05-17-2019, 01:22 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts

I've had this lazy shift into 2nd gear on my '15 Turbo for a while. But it's entirely predictable -- happens almost all the time as I navigate the parking lot back to my garage and a particular left turn. The speed limit is low, so I'm poking around as I wind my way home and come to a blind T intersection. As I almost stop there to check for crossing cars the transmission shifts to first and as I start to take off and turn again it lazily shifts into 2nd. I've never had it happen on the street, though. It's so predictable and specific, I've always thought it was some software issue.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:41 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

The OP's link isn't working for me (might be because of the company internet connection I'm on right now). So I'm not sure exactly the condition that's being discussed.

On my '17 GTS, shifts are about what I'd expect.....sometimes a bit soft and shifting early in normal mode, quicker/firmer and higher RPM shifts in Sport mode, and then rather high RPM and very quick/firm shifts in Sport+. In fact the behavior in Sport+ isn't really 'street friendly' in most instances IMO.

Quick Reply: 3734 "Cannot shift into 2nd gear"