2015 Turbo Reliablilty

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 02:06 PM
997Lyfe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 2015 Turbo Reliablilty

Hey Guys,

I am going to look at a 2015 turbo model today. It has 40k miles however, it's at a 3rd party dealership.

What should I look out for as it is out of warranty?

How is the maintenance like? Is it double the cost compared to an S model?

The SUV will be a daily driver and a weekend 2nd warrior.

Any input would be much appreciated.
Old 05-08-2019, 04:00 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 287 Posts

Best to go to www.MacanForum.com Too many topics to condense. You need to run the VIN through a Porsche dealer to determine what work, if any might be on its history. If the 40k mile inspection hasn't been done and you take it to a dealer it will cost you $XXXX. If you do your own maintenance, it will cost you $XXX. There were a few service bulletins and there have been some transfer case failures. Other than that, they are awesome vehicles. As for maintenance costs, there's no reason to believe that the Turbo would be any more expensive than the S. They're both 6 cylinders and both turbocharged. The Turbo just has more displacement, hp and torque.
Old 05-08-2019, 04:03 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by 997Lyfe
Hey Guys,

I am going to look at a 2015 turbo model today. It has 40k miles however, it's at a 3rd party dealership.

What should I look out for as it is out of warranty?

How is the maintenance like? Is it double the cost compared to an S model?

The SUV will be a daily driver and a weekend 2nd warrior.

Any input would be much appreciated.
Drive it (obviously) on smooth pavement and see if you detect anything that feels like 'stumbles' under moderate acceleration that seem to come from the drivetrain, especially in 2nd or 3rd gears. This can be an indication of trouble with the transfer case which is a known issue.

Also see if it can be put on a lift or get under and see if there's any signs of motor oil, however light, accumulating or dripping anywhere. Especially on the passenger side front area of the engine which could indicate a potential timing cover leak (also a know issue with both the 3.0 and 3.6 liter V6s).

Most of all though, just see if the independent dealer where it's at will let you take it to your P dealer or independent of choice to get a full PPI. Money well spent! If they're relucatant to let you do that, walk away. There's PLENTY of other pre-owned Macans out there of all 'flavors'.
Old 05-08-2019, 04:05 PM
ozziegt
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

Good advice from trackrat, there are some threads if you search here and on macan forum. The only systematic big money items are the transfer case, and timing cover oil leak. No matter what I would recommend getting a proper PPI done from a reputable shop.

Quick Reply: 2015 Turbo Reliablilty