Macan 2014-Current

Wife wants a Macan, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 10:40 PM
Tedder Bear
Needs a Chuckle
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

My wife has has had a 2017 Macan S for about 18 months and loves it. Planing to order a 2019 S for late summer delivery.

She had driven an RX 350 for the previous 5+ years. Drove a Boxter before the RX.

I’m very impressed with the Macan S. Also surprised by how much she likes it. I thought she would have went with the Cayenne.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:00 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Received 589 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Optionman1
My wife test drove super low mile 2018 base Macan and loved it. After doing some research on the various models and options i've got some questions and would love some advice. i've already decided that if we get a Macan at all, it will be the S model, not the Sport, GTS or Turbo.

My wife's 4 most important required features are remote entry, memory seats/steering wheel, sunroof, and iphone compatibility (waze access). i believe all 2017-2018 S models can easily satisfy those requirements, but what would it cost in a 2016 model to upgrade iphone capatibility, if anyone knows. I've seen some really good deals on low mileage, CPO, 2016 S models, one for example asking $50k for $75k optioned 2016 S with under 15k miles (and colors my wife likes).

What are the other major differences, if any, between the 2016 models and new ones?

feel free to offer any additional advice. we are a 1 P-car family as of now (2003 c4s).

thanks
I’m pretty sure that Apple Car Play cannot be retrofitted in pre 2017 model PCM’s. I have found that the base Macan does about 95% of everything that an S can do. It’s only short coming is trying to pass on the expressway above 75 mph. It really has plenty of torque for almost everything you need and the V6 in the S has shown a timing chain problem. Drive them both and see what you think.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:02 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Cool ... and good to know Bear. ^^

For us and for her it was a size issue. She likes the ML 350 in MB but we need to move on from it.

She didnt care as much for the Lexus after she found out they call it The Wooly Mammoth. We like the Lexus reliability and it is the closest dealer for us . . but of course we like Porsche and the driving of them for her as long as it isn't too much on the sport and firm side. She is sporty enough . . but the MB ride kind of settled on her too. The nav and entertainment options aren't high on her list.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:18 AM
wwahl
Pro

Received 135 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by OldJedi
I’m pretty sure that Apple Car Play cannot be retrofitted in pre 2017 model PCM’s. I have found that the base Macan does about 95% of everything that an S can do. It’s only short coming is trying to pass on the expressway above 75 mph. It really has plenty of torque for almost everything you need and the V6 in the S has shown a timing chain problem. Drive them both and see what you think.
Do you mean a 'timing chain COVER problem'?
Old 04-05-2019, 09:24 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by rbaron
What range of prices are you seeing? Are they CPO?

Thanks,

--Bob
Mine is new, 2018.

Last edited by RED HORSE; 04-05-2019 at 09:51 PM.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:33 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Originally Posted by TexasRider
Mike - very good stuff man.

I am looking at moving Mrs TR to the same Macan in white from her MB ML350.

Would you, and the other guys in the thread, say the 4 cylinder in the Macan is enough motor?

I haven't driven one and the Macan is not for me anyway. I am a 6 cylinder guy ( in Porsche ) and 8 cylinder in everything else. Yes I am Old School. I have had Porsche 4 cylinders before ( like in the 951s ) and I said nope and never again. Yeah I can accept they are better but I did drive a the new Cayman and I told them no it isn't happening for me with the 4 in it even if it is faster and more torque. To which my long time salesman at Porsche replied " You are definitely not the only one . ."
I am pleasantly surprised by the performance of the standard engine. The other side of the garage houses an '18 Cayenne Turbo which replaced a '15 Audi S8. I was expecting much less than the standard Macan 4 delivers. Went on our first road trip this afternoon in it, a 75 mile round trip to our condo via Interstate and it was very capable at 75-80 mph. Not as quick as the Cheyenne, but very adequate and never felt that I really needed power that wasn't there. I wouldn't have any hesitation recommending the standard 4, and I've previously had several 911S's before the S8. I won't be running down trading my Turbo in, but for my wife around town and short trips I am very pleased.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:49 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Originally Posted by TexasRider
Very Nice - maybe throw in to my ? above too. Thanks.

We tried the Audi Q5 today and while it is supposed to be larger it didn't feel it and of course I like the Porsche more.

What the options for her ? Well the Lexus for us. Probably the Wooly Mammoth in the GX 460 as the dealer is close to us. Porsche yeah they are 100 miles away but it's doable.
My daughter has a Q5 and she has many of the problems I had with my S8. The S8 was my first Audi, and while the performance and comfort was unequaled, there was constantly something happening with their MMI; Not everything starts up in the electronics when you start the car, but is OK when you restart. Radio presets disappear periodically. Just annoying electronic stuff all the time. The S8 will be my last Audi. I'm tool old to comfortably get into and out of a 911 anymore, so guess I'll be in the Cheyenne.
Old 04-06-2019, 06:24 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Thank you Mike. ^^^^

I didn't drive it yet but she did give the Macan a go today.

Strangely enough the 2 SUVs under consideration for her are the GX 460 and the Macan. One is old school V8 the other is turbo 4. One is big and can pull the other one. And one is probably more fun. If the GX had a fold down rear vs the barn door style and the updated electronics in it it might scoop the Porsche out of the way for various reasons. Apples and watermelon comparison really but its where we are this go around.

She loves her ML 350 diesel but MB changed lineups there and she needs something at some point.
Old 04-06-2019, 11:01 PM
991.1GTS
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 29 Posts

My wife has a 2017 GTS, and we both love it. It is just over two years old and we haven't had even one issue with it. Great car!
Old 04-07-2019, 11:51 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Very good to know. Thanks and a RL welcome too ^^
Old 04-08-2019, 12:17 PM
Smokinjoe14
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PUZZ1
Seems like the base is only purchased for wives. Do any men own and drive this car daily? Not trying to be cute but it's one of many threads that speak to a base model earmarked for a wife or girlfriend.
I think most women (like my wife) don't know or care what's under the hood, so long as it "get up and goes" when they want it to. Any time we have gone on vacation and gotten a rental that was 4cyl we were both disappointed with the performance. Granted most of then were not equipped with turbos, but it was enough for the wife to swear off ever owning a 4 cyl again. Her company car is an NA Nissan Pathfinder with V6, and she is happy with that as her DD.

Anyways, I believe there are two types of car owners: Those who wear their car, or those who drive their car.

I think women more commonly wear their cars, and men drive their cars. We do tons of research on performance specs primarily, and creature comforts secondary. But if your must have list has 'fuel efficiency' you'd probably better off with the 4cyl.

Last edited by Smokinjoe14; 04-08-2019 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Added more
Old 04-08-2019, 02:21 PM
SilverBullets
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We started the wrong way while looking for my wife's car. We started by driving a 16 Macan Turbo. We then drove the Macan S and while it wasn't as much fun as the Turbo, it was still awesome. We then decided on getting a Macan S but they seemed to be much harder to find. Ended up finding a well optioned '16 Macan Turbo with 18k miles which was priced fairly well. So we bought it about a month ago and both of us absolutely love driving it.

I dropped it off to have the PDLS headlights replaced due to some minor cracking in the acrylic over the weekend (replaced under warranty with no questions asked) and they gave us a 2018 Sport Edition as a loaner. As expected, they are night and day. I think had we driven the base motor first, it would have been fine. But after spending time in the Turbo, it makes the base feel like you're driving a big GTI.

The sport edition looks awesome and it really does drive well... it's just impossible for us to fairly compare after spending time behind the wheel of the Turbo.
Old 04-14-2019, 05:03 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

The Macan was a better SUV than I would have thought - but the pull of the Cayenne was just too great to overcome and we got Mrs TR The Pepper.

Thanks for all the inputs guys!
Old 04-15-2019, 02:46 PM
raydog9379
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverBullets
We started the wrong way while looking for my wife's car. We started by driving a 16 Macan Turbo. We then drove the Macan S and while it wasn't as much fun as the Turbo, it was still awesome. We then decided on getting a Macan S but they seemed to be much harder to find. Ended up finding a well optioned '16 Macan Turbo with 18k miles which was priced fairly well. So we bought it about a month ago and both of us absolutely love driving it.

I dropped it off to have the PDLS headlights replaced due to some minor cracking in the acrylic over the weekend (replaced under warranty with no questions asked) and they gave us a 2018 Sport Edition as a loaner. As expected, they are night and day. I think had we driven the base motor first, it would have been fine. But after spending time in the Turbo, it makes the base feel like you're driving a big GTI.

The sport edition looks awesome and it really does drive well... it's just impossible for us to fairly compare after spending time behind the wheel of the Turbo.
Dealers are notorious for that, and it tends to work (at least on me). When I go to test drive the dealership by me (large dealer with many high end brands) is like.... here why don't you take this top of the line and loaded car for the weekend. Heck, my Cayenne was in for annual service and a few other things and they gave me a pretty well loaded brand new Panamera 4S as a loaner for 2 days. That was a fun car, maybe when it's time to move on from the Cayenne down the road it might be that, or I'm also thinking I'll try a Macan Turbo.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:46 PM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

Received 2,149 Likes on 1,013 Posts

Truly appreciate all the feedback on this great forum. Took the wife this past weekend and we both test drove a base Macan and a Macan S. Though i expected to be disappointed in the base's performance after first driving the S, i wasn't. For her to use as an around town daily driver its power is more then adequate. Having decided that the base would work we spent many hours saturday afternoon on the net looking at all the available used 2017-2018 models in the NY area. Then on sunday we got a call that our oldest daughter is engaged!!! Told the wife her Macan is not happening, $ needed elsewhere. she happily agreed.

thanks again for all the responses.

Quick Reply: Wife wants a Macan, need advice