Macan S Battery Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 06:27 PM
GelberPfeil
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelsey
Any follow-up on if the iCarSoft unit? Thanks
Kelsey, Well, I bought a new iCarsoft POR V2.0 unit on Ebay (at a good discount) and connected it to our Macan S. It appears capable of performing all of the tasks as advertised. (Most important to me are reading codes, clearing service reminders, registering battery, retracting brake pads). However, it is still a bit too early for me to replace the battery, so I have not actually done a battery registration. It is right there on the menu and seems ready to perform when needed. I am pleased to have invested less than $150 for this unit given what it can do. I have had a Durametric unit for many years and although the Durametric may be able to perform a few more operations, this iCarsoft POR V2.0 unit is much more convenient to use. (And the Durametric does not currently have the capacity to do battery registration.) The iCarsoft POR V2.0 is small and easily carried in the car without the need to bring along a laptop. If/when I change the battery, I will report on how it does with registration.

Last edited by GelberPfeil; 03-31-2019 at 06:28 PM. Reason: spelling correction
The following users liked this post:
Need4S (06-06-2020)
Old 04-24-2019, 09:33 PM
GelberPfeil
Rennlist Member

Angry

Originally Posted by GelberPfeil
Kelsey, Well, I bought a new iCarsoft POR V2.0 unit on Ebay (at a good discount) and connected it to our Macan S. It appears capable of performing all of the tasks as advertised. (Most important to me are reading codes, clearing service reminders, registering battery, retracting brake pads). However, it is still a bit too early for me to replace the battery, so I have not actually done a battery registration. It is right there on the menu and seems ready to perform when needed. I am pleased to have invested less than $150 for this unit given what it can do. I have had a Durametric unit for many years and although the Durametric may be able to perform a few more operations, this iCarsoft POR V2.0 unit is much more convenient to use. (And the Durametric does not currently have the capacity to do battery registration.) The iCarsoft POR V2.0 is small and easily carried in the car without the need to bring along a laptop. If/when I change the battery, I will report on how it does with registration.
Well Macan owners, here is the bad news. After contacting the USA sales engineer and asking him if the iCarsoft POR V2.0 would work on a Macan, he confirmed that it would. So I bought one.Two days ago I connected it to my Macan and worked my way down the menus to get to the portion where you should be able to register a new battery on a Macan. Was I not surprised to see every Porsche model listed EXCEPT the Macan! All of the advertisements say this unit will do this battery registration (BMS, Battery Management System) on the Macan. No it will not. The service engineer at the company confirmed this and told me they "were working on it", but could give no time line. Astonishing that they would advertise having this capacity for Porsche's largest selling model and then fail to carry through. In light of this, I have requested to return my unit to the vendor. Sad and disappointed.

Would like to hear from any Macan owners who have actually used a non-PIWIS unit to register a new battery.
Need4S (06-06-2020)
Old 06-05-2019, 12:10 PM
lume76
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Autel prof. line devices would do the job, compare
Of course those are quite expensive. You should check if the value line Autel devices can do the same...
Old 08-18-2019, 11:19 AM
novamchd1
2nd Gear

It will make no demands. I believe that it will run just fine and do no damage if you drive it only a reasonable distance/time before registering the new battery. I base this on what I experienced when I changed the AGM battery on my wife's 3-series BMW. Drove it for a few days before taking it to our trusted indy shop for registration of the battery. The BMW and Porsche systems seem to be very similar.
1. Why won’t a new battery register/code to the ECU?

a. It meets all requirements, e.g., AGM, AH, CCA, size, etc.

b. It does not generate any battery faults, warnings or messages

c. It starts, drives & all electrical options work normally

d. It eliminated original battery issues

2. How is the ECU affected by a new battery not registered/coded?

The aftermarket battery was installed because I was far away from a dealership & it was necessary to return home.

Old 08-18-2019, 02:28 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by novamchd1

The aftermarket battery was installed because I was far away from a dealership & it was necessary to return home.
If you're still under warranty and you ever have electrical problems, dealer might deny coverage since you didn't register battery.
Old 08-28-2019, 11:09 PM
clorigo
Instructor

Well Macan owners, here is the bad news. After contacting the USA sales engineer and asking him if the iCarsoft POR V2.0 would work on a Macan, he confirmed that it would. So I bought one.Two days ago I connected it to my Macan and worked my way down the menus to get to the portion where you should be able to register a new battery on a Macan. Was I not surprised to see every Porsche model listed EXCEPT the Macan! All of the advertisements say this unit will do this battery registration (BMS, Battery Management System) on the Macan. No it will not. The service engineer at the company confirmed this and told me they "were working on it", but could give no time line. Astonishing that they would advertise having this capacity for Porsche's largest selling model and then fail to carry through. In light of this, I have requested to return my unit to the vendor. Sad and disappointed.

Would like to hear from any Macan owners who have actually used a non-PIWIS unit to register a new battery.
Any update from ICarSoft?
Old 10-08-2019, 07:44 AM
cerbomark
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

wonder of you selected Cayanne instead if that would work???
Old 10-08-2019, 08:54 AM
PSEE
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

The battery must be registered with the vehicle so that it will be (re)charged appropriately. A new battery will require less
of a recharge cycle than will a used battery. Overcharging a new (unregistered) battery will shorten its service life.

The same issue exists for newer BMWs. Replacement batteries must be registered with the vehicle.!
Old 10-08-2020, 10:30 PM
novamchd1
2nd Gear

Agree. I tried for months & couldn't find a way to register an aftermarket with ECU. It may work fine initially but your ECU doesn't know you have a new battery and will be overcharging the battery.. It may just shorten the life but I know of one case where the aftermarket battery overheated & caused problems. There's just limited to no info posted on owner's experience with unregistered batteries after a year or two. It's a gamble I decided not to take and installed a Porsche battery that was properly registered with ECU.
Old 10-09-2020, 03:35 PM
GelberPfeil
Rennlist Member

Agree. I tried for months & couldn't find a way to register an aftermarket with ECU. It may work fine initially but your ECU doesn't know you have a new battery and will be overcharging the battery.. It may just shorten the life but I know of one case where the aftermarket battery overheated & caused problems. There's just limited to no info posted on owner's experience with unregistered batteries after a year or two. It's a gamble I decided not to take and installed a Porsche battery that was properly registered with ECU.
I did the same as you. New Interstate H8 properly registered to the ECU so it won't overcharge. Would like to hear if anyone has actually installed a new battery and registered it successfully with one of the relatively inexpensive (i.e. Audel, ICarSoft, etc.) units. Not looking for theoretical discussions about what is being advertised, only actual experiences. Thanks.
Old 10-12-2020, 07:09 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,319 Likes on 1,378 Posts

OK for those NOT paying attention on the MacanForum etc. let's try and summarize:

1) You NEED to register a new battery

2) Failure to do so for a short period as the example above of being in bongobongoland and the dealer is elsewhere won't blow up the car but you should register the battery as soon as possible

3) Registration does NOT require it to be from a certain manufacturer (.e. Varta etc.) nor does it ask for it.
3a) What you do need are: Capacity (i.e. Ah) , technology (i.e. AGM), serial number and part number.
3b) For the 2020 Macan (I would assume it the same for other years but who knows), the part number is 958-092-21.
3c) The serial number NEEDS to be 15 digits. If you new battery only has 14, you NEED to enter a space to make the 15th digit.

4) I would place the vehicle on a battery tender so you don't loose all your presets before disconnecting

The rest I covered in detail on the MacanForum.

siberian

Last edited by siberian; 10-12-2020 at 08:00 PM.
Old 03-24-2021, 10:38 PM
gordog
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replace Battery Using Autel AP200

Just finished the battery replacement in my Macan.

Hope this helps.

Grey Coupe (03-18-2022)
Old 03-25-2021, 12:00 AM
GelberPfeil
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gordog
Just finished the battery replacement in my Macan.

Hope this helps.

https://youtu.be/Mue8pOWaXKA
Thanks. What was the software/hardware that you used to do this?

Whoops! Saw that you used an Autel AP200

Last edited by GelberPfeil; 03-25-2021 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Mistake in reading OP
Old 03-25-2021, 12:45 PM
gordog
3rd Gear

Thanks. What was the software/hardware that you used to do this?

Whoops! Saw that you used an Autel AP200
I actually borrowed a (Foxwell) Schwaben018656SCH01A from a friend. He purchased it about a year ago on sale from Pelican Parts and it was never used until I asked. Confirmed with Pelican and ECSTuning (other vendor) that it would do the battery registration. Software updated and kept saying "Illegal Input" when I tried to enter the serial #. As suggested by Pelican Parts, I emailed Foxwell tech support. After 4 days, they finally got back to me. Tried various things over the past 2 weeks and they insisted that it should work. Not sure if it was a language barrier thing, or what, but many times, they either did not answer the question, or simply repeated the same instruction that I had already told them I had done in the initial email. also the time difference (China?) meant that their responses came after midnight local time, so there was always a delay. One of the emails they sent back after I sent them a video of the scanner failing, showed me a photo of it working for them. I had to point out that it was a shot of the screen of a Foxwell (orange and black), and not the Schwaben (gray/black)! Then they asked me for the software version # which had just been updated by the owner. Their final response "It will be better to use the new device like NT510Elite to meet your needs since the diagnostic tool you own at now is too old to update the software version."

Not impressed as with Foxwell/Schwaben nor their tech support.

Good thing I ordered the Autel AP200 when the Schwaben first failed to do the registration as I thought that I may as well have my own scanner to do brake resets, etc. I already have a Durametric which won't do some of the things that I wanted. Bonus Karmic Event was that the AP200 was on sale for a few days at $43 off (Amazon.ca)!

I highly recommend the AP200 even at the regular price. The Schwaben/Foxwell not so much based on my experience with them.

Does anyone else have any experience using a Foxwell/Schwaben for the BMS or other services?
Old 11-29-2021, 07:22 PM
Mike VZ
7th Gear

Default Battery Replacement Macan S, Autel MaxiDiag MD808

I looked through a number of posts on this which there appeared to be an issue getting this done. I wound up purchasing a Autel MaxiDiag MD808 as it was the only unit I could find where the manufacturer showed it would work on the Macan. I found a stock number for an Interstate battery and lost it, looked again and they only showed for 911's. I wound up purchasing a Duralast AGM from Autozone, they clain it is a direct replacement for the Varta. Maybe not direct but close enough. The only serial numbers I could find were on the side of the battery and not as many digits as the Autel unit required. So I added zero's the input ahead of the numbers and from what I can tell it registered it. Everything seems to be working, the only issue was the hatch would not close with the button, so I closed it manually and now it works fine. All the data is showing up, the gate codes that were programmed in work. Anyone else have any recent issues on this. The Autel unit appears to come loaded to check just about any vehicle.
MrMarco (11-30-2021)

Quick Reply: Macan S Battery Replacement