Macan 2014-Current

Macan feature "coding"?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 06:38 PM
NickA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Macan feature "coding"?

So, I'm finally back into a street Porsche after more than 10 years away (busy with family, etc.), and a lot has changed, most all of it for the better. My new-to-me 2016 Macan S daily driver is great - amazing performance in a package that's just right for my needs (and that made it under the wire with the Mrs. without being classified as YET ANOTHER expensive toy). That said, right off the bat there are a few annoying things about it that would be easy changes/fixes on many other cars, but that I can't seem to fix/adjust. I have a longer list, but the top two hits are (1) the "chirp chirp" alarm sound on locking, and (2) the "beep beep beep" beeping sound on opening and closing the rear hatch.

The first one, the "chirp chirp", is a basic on-off toggle on the settings menu on anything from a basic Ford or Japanese car up to a BMW or Mercedes, but there is no setting that I've been able to find to turn this off. Does anyone know if this can be set to "off", or if the volume can be turned down to zero, using the PIWIS diagnostic unit or otherwise? The local dealership claims "no", but I find their answer (and attitude) unpersuasive. I saw a post elsewhere on the internet that suggested disconnecting the alarm siren/horn to eliminate the chirp altogether...I'd hate to have to go this route, but the 1980's chirp chirp might drive me there....

The second one, the "beep beep beep" with rear hatch movement, can be turned off according to the manual, but again the dealership claims they can't do it. Has anyone had this done on their Macan?

In BMW-land, these features can easily be coded by the owner using software and a connection to the OBDII port, or by a third party coder. Yes, I know full well that these are different manufacturers and vehicles, but c'mon at the end of the day it's all just software, isn't it?

At the risk of being greedy, the other programmable features on my wish list include:
  1. change triple blink for momentary turn signal activation to single blink (yes, I know that you can make this happen if you get the turn signal push dwell time just right)
  2. enable open all windows on key fob unlock button hold
  3. enable close all windows on key fob lock button hold
  4. enable key fob button hold = close rear hatch
  5. enable dip driver side mirror (as well as passenger side) on reverse engagement
  6. enable automatic engagement of parking brake on engine shutoff with transmission in park
  7. enable power / radio / window operation for 30 seconds after ignition off and driver door open
  8. automatic bypass of PCM warning screen for NAV

Thanks in advance for any assistance or insights.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:53 PM
NickA
Advanced

Thumbs up

UPDATE: the answers to my two questions above are "yes" and "yes". I stopped by at Porsche of Nashua (NH) today, and had a quick chat with Joe L., one of the service advisors there. He went in the back to confirm with the shop foreman, and then came back out to tell me that it is indeed possible to eliminate the chirp-chirp on lock and the beeping on hatch opening and closing 'using the diagnostic tester' (presumably the PIWIS). He asked if I had a few minutes to have it done on the spot, took my keys, and about 7-8 minutes later he brought my Macan back around with those two things coded away.

I'm obviously thrilled to have removed these two annoyances...kudos to Joe and the team at Porsche of Nashua. This would seem to be a positive indicator for their knowledge, and their willingness to help.

I will continue to investigate on the items on my longer wish list; would still appreciate any tips or advice on those if anyone has them....
Old 07-12-2018, 08:57 PM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, I cant wait to hear your findings on this very important bug
Old 07-12-2018, 10:43 PM
Mynoles1
5th Gear

I'm new to Rennlist, but not necessarily new to coding enhancements (coming from several BMW's, previously).

Including the OP's original list, any chance you could find out if we could code the dash lights to be "on" when the headlight switch is in Auto mode? That has to be the single-most annoying quirk I have found with the Macan. You cannot see the Tachometer during the day if the lighting isn't right.

Thanks
Old 07-13-2018, 01:36 AM
wwahl
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Mynoles1
I'm new to Rennlist, but not necessarily new to coding enhancements (coming from several BMW's, previously).

Including the OP's original list, any chance you could find out if we could code the dash lights to be "on" when the headlight switch is in Auto mode? That has to be the single-most annoying quirk I have found with the Macan. You cannot see the Tachometer during the day if the lighting isn't right.

Thanks
This dash light thing is incredibly dumb. When do most folks drive their cars? During the day. When can you not see the gauges? During the day.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:02 AM
Portia's
Track Day

Hello NickA, given your coding demands, I'm guessing your coming from a BMW M car.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:03 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 75 Posts

I can't speak to all of it but turning off the alert for closing the hatch is definitely doable -- It's even in the manual (of my 2015) that the dealer can turn it off. I took mine in and the dealer balked at silencing the alert until I pointed out that PAG even wrote in the owner's manual it was ok and then it was no big deal and no cost to silence that damned chirp. The car still senses obstructions so why an annoyance that deaf people couldn't perceive is required is beyond me.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:03 AM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

Never mind BMW land, how about VAG-com for the same group of companies as Porsche! All the above mentioned and more have been available to me on VW and Audi's for 15+ years. It's a shame there is some block on a similar tool for Porsche.

Great job NickA on the dealer collaboration with a good to-do list for my next visit!
Old 07-26-2018, 09:16 AM
NickA
Advanced

Thanks everyone for paying attention and commenting. Yes, definitely a long-time BMW guy here (E36 M3, 2 x X5, 535ix Touring, E__ 335ix coupe, F80 M3), but also plenty of Mercedes SUVs, GM/Ford vehicles, and a Range Rover thrown in too.

To be clear: on my Macan S the "beep beep beep" on rear hatch closing and opening is now shut off (or volume = 0), and the "chirp chirp" from the alarm system on lock button press is also turned off, both via the service department at Porsche Nashua (NH). These are 100% doable, and easy to implement if the tech knows where to go in the menus on the diagnostic tester....

I asked them about the possibilities for the other action items on the list; Joe the service advisor said they're not sure, but that they'd be happy to connect the diagnostic tester and try to implement them one-by-one. It will take an actual service visit, though, rather than just a drive-by visit, so I'm going to make an appointment to have them try it shortly.

I now have an excuse to go in: just two days ago during alternating thundershowers and brilliant sunshine, my auto headlights were failing to turn back to the "off" position when the wipers were done and the sun was shining (we're talking 10-15-20 minutes of highway driving with the lights stuck on), so I'll probably have them check that out under warranty and then go through the coding shopping list.

Stay tuned....
Old 07-26-2018, 01:46 PM
JonCanadian
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Does anybody if it is possible to unlock all doors when the engine is off? We travel will a dog and would like a way to open the rear doors without having to manually press an unlock button
Old 07-26-2018, 05:10 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by JonCanadian
Does anybody if it is possible to unlock all doors when the engine is off? We travel will a dog and would like a way to open the rear doors without having to manually press an unlock button
Get your owner's manual out - it's in one of the setting.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:24 PM
JonCanadian
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

^^ I know about that setting. That is only for unlocking the door with the key. My options for that are "drivers door" and "all doors".

I'm talking about the situation when you stop the car and take the key out of the ignition. The passenger doors remain locked from the outside unless I press the unlock button on the console or the key fob. In the BMW world, the coding is "Unlock all doors when engine off". This is not a menu option in BMW but must be coded
Old 07-26-2018, 10:56 PM
Portia's
Track Day

Originally Posted by JonCanadian
^^ I know about that setting. That is only for unlocking the door with the key. My options for that are "drivers door" and "all doors".

I'm talking about the situation when you stop the car and take the key out of the ignition. The passenger doors remain locked from the outside unless I press the unlock button on the console or the key fob. In the BMW world, the coding is "Unlock all doors when engine off". This is not a menu option in BMW but must be coded
actually it is in newer models

Quick Reply: Macan feature "coding"?