Notices
Macan 2014-Current

$4800 Extended Warranty After 3-year Lease? Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 10:12 PM
Jason Zhang
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Default $4800 Extended Warranty After 3-year Lease? Worth It?

So back in 2015, we had taken delivery of our leased Macan S. Now 3 years and about 33k kms on the car have quickly passed, and we decided to buy the car. We are told that there is an extended warranty that will cost 4800 CADs. We haven't discussed in details with the guys at our Porsche center, but we are guessing that we can choose to not have it. Have you guys been offered a warranty like this? Do you guys think we should pay and get this warranty? How is the reliability of Macan S over the long term? For the 3 years that we have been driving our's, we had no problem at all, will problems start popping up later? This Macan S will stay with us for a long time.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:59 AM
wwahl
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason Zhang
So back in 2015, we had taken delivery of our leased Macan S. Now 3 years and about 33k kms on the car have quickly passed, and we decided to buy the car. We are told that there is an extended warranty that will cost 4800 CADs. We haven't discussed in details with the guys at our Porsche center, but we are guessing that we can choose to not have it. Have you guys been offered a warranty like this? Do you guys think we should pay and get this warranty? How is the reliability of Macan S over the long term? For the 3 years that we have been driving our's, we had no problem at all, will problems start popping up later? This Macan S will stay with us for a long time.
If you go over to the Macan forum you will have the opportunity to meet the most pessimistic group of Porsche owners anywhere. To a fault they appear to believe their cars will not start the day after their warranty expires.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:34 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

So, the extended warranty is another 3 years? correct?
That is 1600 a year. Would you have that much in warranty claims in a year.
I doubt it. Of my three subaru's that I purchased extended warranty's for. zero claims.
My BMW X5. $3700 for the policy. Payout for covered repairs $35K ish. One was an engine, but I'm sure it was a dealer mistake on an oil change and repair.
Really? Covered other items? Two rear air suspension shocks, starter, faulty door handle, turbo bypass valve. $2k/1.5/800/700 at the dealer. My indy would be half that.
It's just insurance.
$4800? is that full pop at the dealership you purchased your vehicle at. A good dealer should offer a reasonable discount on the policy. Is it a Porsche extended? Is it transferable? Is it cash-able? If you sell your car in a year?
If it's aftermarket? You can use it at other repair shops. Your not stuck at Porsche.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:53 AM
LandCruiser
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm still torn whether to sell my Macan after the warranty expires or to keep it--because that's a lot of money for warranty coverage.

With that said, if you look at Denali warranty extensions they can be as high as 3500-4000 for a 80k SUV and every car can have issues after warranty.

And all brands can have post warranty issues: door lock actuators went out on my Toyota after the warranty expired (a cheap 4 dollar part that requires lots of labor to take the doors apart to get to), so I wish I had an extended warranty because I don't feel like coughing up 600-800 bucks per door to fix them.
Old 06-16-2018, 11:13 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 162 Posts

We have 80,000 miles on the Macan. No warranty. Only two unexpected occurrences so far

1-battery, this was scary. First symptom was the PCM was not there. No lights. No nothing. The dash display said something like no radio attached. Called the dealer and they said PCM failure most probably and was $3700. Went to drive the car up there and would not start. Jumped it and drove it to the dealer and $300 later got a new battery and all was good

2-front rift wheel bearing went. Had the dealer do it for $682.

Skip the warranty and drive the car.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:38 PM
kimchee411
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wwahl
If you go over to the Macan forum you will have the opportunity to meet the most pessimistic group of Porsche owners anywhere. To a fault they appear to believe their cars will not start the day after their warranty expires.
So true! Any mention of mods around there and people will tell you Porsche has already engineered the perfect car for every person and messing with it will make your wheels fall off. Definitely a very different place than Rennlist.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:11 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

So $4800 CADs which is roughly $3600 US. What are the terms of this warranty, and is it through your P dealer or independent?

For comparison, my 2011 CTT I had prior to my Macan GTS had an extended warranty acquired from my P dealer that cost me $2600 for 4 years/48k miles and covered everything the new car warranty did. I had some significant claims on that warranty and all were covered without issue, just like the new car warranty. I think a key point is to purchase one offered directly from your P dealer, and then get your work done there.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:29 PM
Jason Zhang
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

We ended up not getting it. Will see how the car goes.

Quick Reply: $4800 Extended Warranty After 3-year Lease? Worth It?