Macan 2014-Current

A week with a base macan

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 12:13 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,090 Likes on 1,255 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
^ Yeah the Bently SUV are around here as well. Those will be plentiful as well in a few years.

This transfer case apparently goes into all or most gasoline engine Macans, Cayennes and Pannys for the past 6 years. That is a lot of them to fix and resolve.
That is why they try to sell them without CPO if they can. Not sure how the dealers can make money with Porsche's business practices.
Old 09-30-2017, 12:47 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Well I’m in week 4 in this loaner. Damn diesel is taking a while.

I still cannot get over:
the accelerator pedal feel. It’s mapped for economy and you have to get so far into it to get any power if not in sport
the pdk is either wrapping out holding gears in sport or lugging in 7th if not. Needs a middle ground calibration. 40mph and the thing is in 7th at 1200rpm and you have to floor it if trying to accelerate
the eps on this car is probably the worst I’ve felt in a Porsche. There is no steering feel to speak of. My only other experiences in Porsche’s are the gt4 and 991 gt3 which are quite good
The lag. The lag. The lag. Once out of lag it has good power.
The brakes. They have no grab. Then they grab too much. No modulation. I’d have to swap to another pad for sure. Probably soveable with pads.

I get it’s a small sporty suv and not a sports car.

Id love to try an s or gts for an extended period as most of the above is power related.

EDIT: just got call from dealer diesel is ready for pickup!

Last edited by Spyerx; 09-30-2017 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-30-2017, 03:05 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyerx

I still cannot get over:
the accelerator pedal feel. It’s mapped for economy and you have to get so far into it to get any power if not in sport
the pdk is either wrapping out holding gears in sport or lugging in 7th if not. Needs a middle ground calibration. 40mph and the thing is in 7th at 1200rpm and you have to floor it if trying to accelerate
the eps on this car is probably the worst I’ve felt in a Porsche. There is no steering feel to speak of. My only other experiences in Porsche’s are the gt4 and 991 gt3 which are quite good
The brakes. They have no grab. Then they grab too much. No modulation. I’d have to swap to another pad for sure. Probably soveable with pads.

Id love to try an s or gts for an extended period as most of the above is power related.

EDIT: just got call from dealer diesel is ready for pickup!
My wife would have a simple answer to your problem.

"You're simply not a base model guy" At least that is what she tells me every time we go car, jewelry, clothing or just about any type of shopping and end up with at a minimum a GTS.
Old 09-30-2017, 06:38 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
My wife would have a simple answer to your problem.

"You're simply not a base model guy" At least that is what she tells me every time we go car, jewelry, clothing or just about any type of shopping and end up with at a minimum a GTS.

hahhaa maybe. It’s like an entry level drug.

Ill tell you you what I like though. The chassis calibration aside the steering feel is fantastic.
Car drives rides and handles excellent.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:49 PM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 98 Posts

I still cannot get over:
I'd say your gripes are pretty much identical to mine. I've started to learn to drive around these quirks now.

Coincidentally I have a base Cayenne loaner as I'm getting a rattle resolved, it's the first time I've driven one!

I like it a lot, and think the brake and steering feel are better in the Cayenne. I wonder if Porsche deliberately left some of this Porsche-ness out of the base Macan so as to not step on it's bigger brother?

The base 2.0L turbo feels quicker than the base Cayenne and seems to get 3/4 mpg better - I've not averaged over 16.7mpg in three days.

i was also surprised to see so much of the Cayenne's switch gear in the Macan. I still think a base Macan is great value since it starts quite a bit less than a Cayenne, and they share lots of interior parts too.

All in all, I prefer the size and nimbleness of the base Macan to the base Cayenne and have no buyers remorse
Old 10-01-2017, 11:34 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 260 Posts

I do like these base seats as they fit my body well. The Cayenne seats are softer.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:06 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

WOOHOO just got word last night my Macan GTS is on the boat. Should have it sooner than expected.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:55 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Nice. I’m out of town so won’t pickup my cayenne until Friday. But I want to do a test drive in a GTS and turbo.

Need plan b if they buy back these diesels!!!
Old 10-05-2017, 03:10 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,622 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Originally Posted by z3mcoupe
I like it a lot, and think the brake and steering feel are better in the Cayenne. I wonder if Porsche deliberately left some of this Porsche-ness out of the base Macan so as to not step on it's bigger brother?
I think it's more like: Porsche stopped spending money engineering-out the "Audi-ness." The brakes, steering and gearbox behavior of the Macan all still have a slight 'Q5 smell.' The "PDK" in the Macan in particular is - IMO - not "PDK" but is in fact DSG with some (not enough) Porsche programming.

i was also surprised to see so much of the Cayenne's switch gear in the Macan.
Why? What would you expect instead? Audi switch gear?
Old 10-06-2017, 09:05 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I was dissembling the front end of a Macan S the other day and although I like the design better than the gen 1 Panamera S there is an awful lot of plastic up front unlike my 04 turbo which was a bit beefier and all the cast magnesium parts have given way to plastic as well.

Still looking forward to getting our GTS
Old 10-08-2017, 01:40 PM
rosen39
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I still cannot get over:

Other than that Mr. Lincoln......how did you like the play?
Old 10-08-2017, 07:04 PM
BCMgunner
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Picked up a base Macan yesterday as a concession to my wife for allowing me to get my GT3 (arrives late January).

I told her that her new car had two requirements. It be AWD (for safety) and have ventilated seats (I sweat easily).

After looking at her options she chose a base Macan. I went on-and-on about the extra power of the S but I couldn't muster more than, "I don't care about horsepower, I like it because it's "pretty. That's just wasted money"". She ordered the upgraded red leather interior and other little bits.

Over our 200 mile drive home I'd say the inside feels very nice. As nice, if not nicer, than our passed 16' G63 (which is a little underwhelming for the 140+ price tag) and as nice as my passed 991 C4S. Much nicer than passed BMW's with the "nicer M leather". High quality interior at the price point. Competes with cars twice it's price.

Driving wise, I'll say I wasn't expecting much, but was impressed with the ride quality. Smooth like butter. I think it glided from lane to lane and feels about 20mph slower than you're actually going. It eats highway miles effortlessly. Base stereo is good enough and seat ventilation is as all Porsches, excellent.

We are both VERY happy with the purchase and I wouldn't mind having one for myself as a DD.

Good job Porsche.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:23 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

^^^
No pics???
Old 10-09-2017, 06:29 PM
El Sapo
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just got my first insurance bill with my new Macan, and it's cheaper to insure than my 09 Honda CR-V.

HAHAhahahahaha. I thought I was going to burst into hysterical laughter when the salesman told me insurance would be surprisingly inexpensive.

Got in the car this weekend for a little bit w/o the wife and the damn car was so excited it chirped the tires again! Sport mode is where it's at, although I have gotten a chirp in regular.

I can't seem to park the thing in the center of a parking space yet. Wife says I need to take it out and practice.........
Old 10-09-2017, 09:10 PM
rosen39
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by El Sapo
I can't seem to park the thing in the center of a parking space yet. Wife says I need to take it out and practice.........
Glad to hear that I am not the only one that can't park between the lines first try. I don't know if it is the rounded fenders, or the car is wider than my Acura RDX by a couple of inches.

Quick Reply: A week with a base macan