Macan 2014-Current

A week with a base macan

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 08:11 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Also had one as a loaner. Nice. 54 K nice? No.
T
Old 09-19-2017, 11:49 PM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

Good debate on here. When I drove the base Macan prior to buying it, I went in with an open mind. Maybe I wasn't going to enjoy the car and decide it wasn't worth it. After a good drive with some twisties, the car put a smile on my face and how it handled is what really sold me.

As I'm not an SUV person at all, this a big step for me, and it's only because of the handling I ended up with one. If the base Macan had more power, but handled like a Q5, or had the driving position of one, I would have got something else for sure.

With the prem+ pack and some bigger wheels, I think they're actually great value when you consider the amount of re-engineering they did over the Q5. The rear-bias vs. front-bias change to the AWD system changes the driving experience dramatically. For comparison, you can get an Explorer for $60k!

Interesting thoughts on the 2-series BMW also..the first time I drove one, I was really let down at how cheap the interior felt, a big step down even compared to the 1 series. It didn't have any optional leather mind you, and the sun visors were the cheapest I'd felt in any car since my 1987 Ford Fiesta! Fun car to drive though
Old 09-19-2017, 11:59 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,676 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Didn't realize I'd spark such a nerve,
LOL. No, you didn't strike a nerve.

I think my feedback was balanced (good and bad), and was specifically targeted at the base motor car with near zero options.
It was balanced and for the most-part I agree: Objectively an upper-rung Q5 is better than a Base Macan.

Subjectively - when you drive them though - they are quite different and the Base Macan has a lot going for it over the Q5 even if it's slower.

I do stand by my opinion, that, while porsche has said "hey you can get a porsche for under 50k" that I'm not really sure you'd want to....
There is certainly truth to Porsche's being expensive, especially if you compare objective features and specifications. Though, before you solidify your opinion into stone you should go drive a Q5.

For me - and I think for a lot of other folks here'bouts - its all the little subjective things Porsche gets 'right' that other makers don't bother with that make driving them worth the price of entry. In the case of the Macan, Porsche got the driving position right - which is to me a very big thing - while Audi didn't even bother to try.

It will be very interesting to see for what proportion of Macan sales the Base accounts. However, it will take some digging; those numbers will not likely be widely published. My suspicion is that it will be the least well-selling Macan.

Why? Way more S and GTS 911s are sold than base 911s. Way more TurboS 911s are sold than non-S Turbos. Same for Caymans and Boxsters. I see no reason for the Macan to be different.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:32 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,823 Likes on 1,110 Posts

I will admit my position with porsche is somewhat jaded... i like my GT3, my 89 carrera, my 964, my cayenne, i didn't like my carrera S, my GT4, buddies 991 gt3 & RS.... all for various probably mostly unquantifiable and superficial reasons as they are all great cars.

Oh, and on SUV prices... I do a lot of black cars for airport transport. Escalades SUCK. And they are like 100k!!!!!
Old 09-20-2017, 01:06 PM
El Sapo
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zweebach
According to the motortrend article:

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/porsc...ts-first-test/

Good read. Love that there was a pop up add in the middle of the article that suggested I compare a Buick LeCrosse.

It makes sense that the GTS is the design template of the lineup. The mix and matching of the other model components with some tweaks and overall performance in mind. In the middle of the lineup instead of being at one extreme or the other.

In terms of sales? It doesn't make as much sense. I probably could have expressed it better, but I was trying to point out that the design decisions that were made around the Base had to be really well thought out if they want it to sell, and I think they expect it to sell in quantity given the numbers of Base Macans on the lot compared to the other models.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:25 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,305 Posts

Originally Posted by El Sapo
Good read. Love that there was a pop up add in the middle of the article that suggested I compare a Buick LeCrosse.

It makes sense that the GTS is the design template of the lineup. The mix and matching of the other model components with some tweaks and overall performance in mind. In the middle of the lineup instead of being at one extreme or the other.

In terms of sales? It doesn't make as much sense. I probably could have expressed it better, but I was trying to point out that the design decisions that were made around the Base had to be really well thought out if they want it to sell, and I think they expect it to sell in quantity given the numbers of Base Macans on the lot compared to the other models.

But the problem is they aren't selling as many base units as they keep dumping on the dealerships. Most of them are used as loaners or have cheap leases to get them to move.

When I purchased my 04 Cayenne TT they used the turbo as the templet and was the reason I purchased one instead of the S. I now am purchasing the GTS since its price point seems to give you the most bang for the buck.

Chris when did you have a GT4?
Old 09-20-2017, 02:34 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
Chris when did you have a GT4?
I picked one up around a year ago and sold it a few months later. Great chassis. Uninspiring drivetrain.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:44 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I picked one up around a year ago and sold it a few months later. Great chassis. Uninspiring drivetrain.
Apologies for OT.

Interesting. I haven't driven one yet. Spent the past two days at the Glen with Dave Scott helping me push myself. I have been slower than I should be and it appears I need more toe in the rear but once the LSD hooks up the car is amazing. I have to work 20 times harder than these newer cars. They are all so capable. I know when I drove my 981BGTS on track it was so easy to drive at speed it felt like cheating and not all that exciting. I can only assume the GT4 takes it further.

There is something about the older cars that are so engaging. They make you work but when you get it right the reward is a smile that won't go away. I do admit the Gt4 is a great looking ride though.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:57 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had base loner for a week. I had test driven one before but glad I had a chance to drive it in the mountains where I live.

The steering is nicely weighted for a daily and not a lot of feedback.
I only have normally aspirated now so the turbo lag was very noticeable to me.
I was very surprised by the amount of power for the base model. I wouldn't own one but was very surprised that I could hold 80 in the hills.
Anyone thinking it ins't nimble needs to learn the car a little. I felt the same way on my test drives and even felt so with this for a while, but once I had a chance to learn proper technique for driving its very good.
Absolutely excellent in town for getting around.

I would want to GTS for supervention and this or turbo for power and torque vectoring would help a lot. I
Old 09-22-2017, 01:21 PM
fincher
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, you can get a Macan made just the way you want. I got all the amenities I wanted with the Base engine. Close call between S and Base but I didn’t want to spend $6300 more. Did get PP+ and 20s.

I certainly would not be interested in the $50k Macan nor am I interested in the Turbo. I do respect and welcome the wide range of options for all.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:30 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

I'm in week 3 of this loaner... (my cayenne diesel had an engine out service, a gasket was seeping oil... common issue on the 2013...)

I'll say I do appreciate the driving dynamics overall. I definitely feel the 4cyl is under powered and laggy, passing at highway speeds requires really getting into the gas, sport button definitely helps with the gas/throttle mapping to make it better, The turn in feel is lazy, but it does corner really well and feels agile. And maybe the thing I actually dislike the most is the braking feel. There is just a lot of pedal action up top and bite is minimal. Wonder if this is just the car I have or consistent across Macans?

Also, for those of you with Base cars are you only getting low 20's around town mileage??? This thing gets worse mileage than my wife 300+ HP M235, less than my 5000 lb Cayenne diesel, and nearly as bad as my 400+ HP GT3!
Old 09-22-2017, 03:36 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm in week 3 of this loaner... (my cayenne diesel had an engine out service, a gasket was seeping oil... common issue on the 2013...)

I'll say I do appreciate the driving dynamics overall. I definitely feel the 4cyl is under powered and laggy, passing at highway speeds requires really getting into the gas, sport button definitely helps with the gas/throttle mapping to make it better, The turn in feel is lazy, but it does corner really well and feels agile. And maybe the thing I actually dislike the most is the braking feel. There is just a lot of pedal action up top and bite is minimal. Wonder if this is just the car I have or consistent across Macans?

Also, for those of you with Base cars are you only getting low 20's around town mileage??? This thing gets worse mileage than my wife 300+ HP M235, less than my 5000 lb Cayenne diesel, and nearly as bad as my 400+ HP GT3!
yea i found my loaner to burn through gas like a drunkin sailor .......power wise my wifes HHR pulls out into the highway safer
Old 09-22-2017, 03:47 PM
fincher
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I average 24-25mpg. It’s a little less than my Touareg diesel. I drive 75% highway. Agree brakes are so-so but I feel there’s plenty of power for a daily driver.
Old 09-22-2017, 05:45 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Don't step on the gas so hard.

With heavy vehicles like this in many cases the lesser powered engines can cost you more to operate depending on driving style. The average base Macan buyer I doubt has a 400hp GT3 and drives on track while the GTS and turbo drivers are more likely to.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:28 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

I think a combination of things may be at play here. First, to you this is a "new car" and you're finding out what it can do and that means mashing the gas a bit more than you do with cars you're familiar with. There's also the "not my car" factor at work -- how often do you baby rental cars?

And like Cobalt said, with cars designed more towards efficiency you have to drive them in an efficient manner or they perform quite poorly. Top gear did a segment years back with an M3 and a Prius on a track and the M3 got the better gas mileage because it was driven more closely to its design goals than was the Prius. It'll be difficult but drive like a granny for a week and you'll see a big difference in mileage.

ETA: I had a base Macan for a day about a week ago when I had my Turbo in for it's annual service. I was surprised how well the base car drove. It wasn't near what my own car could do or as nicely appointed, but still a surprisingly good loaner car.

Quick Reply: A week with a base macan