Macan 2014-Current

last minute any advice.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 01:42 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,090 Likes on 1,255 Posts
Default last minute any advice.

Going to order a GTS today. The build locks in tomorrow. nothing like last minute.

I am quite sure I want these options.

premium Plus
led headights
park assist w/surround view
trailer hitch
roof rails black
door handles black
pdk
ptv+
sport chrono
20" RS wheels black
14 way power seats
seat ventilation
sunblind rear seats (?)
heated steering wheel
smoking package (its free)
fire extinguisher
ski bag
sport chrono dial red
brushed aluminum interior in black
porsche coonect

My questions are.

I had the 8 way sport seats in my CGTS and I liked them but were a PITA to get in and out of. A true ball buster so to speak. Would the 18 way be easier to get in and out of or should I just stick with the 14 way seats?

I am not bothering with the nav they always sucked

I have seen used Macan's with deviating stitching but not the full package they are charging too much for I have read "code 2 for deviating stitching" is this something different and if so how do I order it and how much?

Now the most important question. I can't decide on color. Either white/with black and red interior or Rhodium Silver with black interior. My Boxster GTS is Rhodium/black and I love it with the black accents. The white looks good as well but I am leaning towards rhodium. Having two the same color is not uncommon for me I have two Amazon green Porsche's as well.

Any thoughts on color and no doubt pics would help.

Anything else I am missing you guys consider must haves?
Old 08-25-2017, 02:16 PM
Adk46
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 166 Posts

Great - another 928 + Macan owner. Maybe I should host a Camp Macan to go with Camp 928.

I don't know what comes std on a GTS, but missing in your list compared to mine:

Lane change assist
Lane keeping assist
Adaptive cruise control
Walnut accents

Of those, I think LCA is std, LKA is useful when I'm fiddling with controls, I couldn't live without ACC, and the walnut was my bit of over-indulgence.

You have a lot of things I don't have. Sports Chrono in other Porsches gives you both good and bad (the clock). In a Macan, you get the clock anyway. It has an interesting feature: it does not run when the car is off; when you open a door, the hands spin around to catch up.

I'm tilting at windmills, but I don't care for big wheels - I like a decent amount of rubber, for looks, for comfort, and for hitting stuff, including curbs. 18-inch for me.

Can't help you with color. I'm a contrarian in rebellion against the "colors" ordered by dealers. I wonder if black with the beige/black interior would be good.

Good luck.
Old 08-25-2017, 02:28 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

My vote is rhodium; it's my top color. That said, I'm about to pull the trigger on an agate gray 2017 GTS.

Why are you not getting Connect Plus?
Old 08-25-2017, 02:36 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Adk46
Great - another 928 + Macan owner. Maybe I should host a Camp Macan to go with Camp 928.

I really wanted to make it this year to your event. I hear it was a blast, maybe next year. Must say something about the Macan since so many 928 owners are flocking to them
I don't know what comes std on a GTS, but missing in your list compared to mine:

Lane change assist
Lane keeping assist
Adaptive cruise control
Walnut accents

Of those, I think LCA is std, LKA is useful when I'm fiddling with controls, I couldn't live without ACC, and the walnut was my bit of over-indulgence.

Had the lane change assist on my CGTS and hated it. Never turned it on and when I did it didn't save me from the crazies that would speed up behind you at over 100 mph and then change lanes at the last second. No need for adaptive cruise control for me either. Had the wood in my CTT and CF in my CGTS I really liked the CF but not worth it to me I think I will be happy with the brushed aluminum in black. I am contemplating the deviated stitching which I had on my CGTS it really made the interior pop

You have a lot of things I don't have. Sports Chrono in other Porsches gives you both good and bad (the clock). In a Macan, you get the clock anyway. It has an interesting feature: it does not run when the car is off; when you open a door, the hands spin around to catch up.

Same on my CGTS it always had to reset when you opened the door. I was under the impression you don't get it without either the nav or the Sport chrono and then it was an option if you wanted the compas with the Nav.
Am I mistaken that you loose out on the sport and spot plus buttons without it?

I'm tilting at windmills, but I don't care for big wheels - I like a decent amount of rubber, for looks, for comfort, and for hitting stuff, including curbs. 18-inch for me.

Can't help you with color. I'm a contrarian in rebellion against the "colors" ordered by dealers. I wonder if black with the beige/black interior would be good.

I have the 20's on my BGTS and they are fine so far no problems even with our rutted roads. I had the 21's on my CGTS and they were Ok but 20's would have been adequate. I have 19's on my turbo and the car is a bit soft IMO. My CGTS was black, it looked fantastic when clean but a royal PITA to keep clean especially on such a large vehicle. No doubt with the beige/black interior it would be stunning.

Good luck.
Thx
Old 08-25-2017, 02:40 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
My vote is rhodium; it's my top color. That said, I'm about to pull the trigger on an agate gray 2017 GTS.

Why are you not getting Connect Plus?
Sorry forget that on the list but it is part of my wish list. It is either that or the nav and I am tired of spending money for crappy factory nav systems.

I really love the rhodium. I had a 14 Boxster in Agate and I loved the color was looking for a GTS in that color when I stumbled upon the rhodium. Really like how the black and silver work together.
Old 08-25-2017, 03:44 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,622 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Get a test-sit in the 18-way seats. They are the best 'truck' seats I've ever sat it. Better than the 14-ways.

The 20" RS F@#$ing Spyder Wheels are a PiTa to clean. The 20" Sport Design or 21" Sport Classics would be my choices.

If you get the 21" SCs in black, I'll trade you my RSs + the $ difference and tire wear...
Old 08-25-2017, 06:11 PM
Adk46
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 166 Posts

Not sure what you asked, Tony, but all Macans get at least a basic clock on the dash.

All Macans get a Sports button. Which is really an "Econ Mode Off" button and badly needed for the 4-cylinder model at least, which will lug along at 1100 RPM unless you give it a swift kick. Sports Plus was too extreme for me in a Cayman S PDK, so didn't want Sports Chronos in my Macan.

My strategy was to get all the options that will become increasingly important as I become more enfeebled. I hate saying that, so I'll mention that I packed my fat tire mountain bike in the Macan and went to the trails this morning. Last time I did that, I got a speeding ticket. In the car, I mean.

You're going to love it.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:28 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Sorry forget that on the list but it is part of my wish list. It is either that or the nav and I am tired of spending money for crappy factory nav systems.

I really love the rhodium. I had a 14 Boxster in Agate and I loved the color was looking for a GTS in that color when I stumbled upon the rhodium. Really like how the black and silver work together.
Consider having the side blade body color. I think it looks better painted on the lighter cars.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:48 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Rhodium with black/red interior.
My fav interior
Old 08-26-2017, 08:57 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Nothing wrong with more than one silver Porsche in the garage!

Get the Connect. It's sooo much better than OEM Nav.

I did a LOT of research on 18 way vs 14 way seats for my Macan GTS. I have the 18 ways in my 991S and they are fantastic. But the 14 ways fit the needs and character of an SUV much better. They are easier to get into and more comfortable and forgiving for moving around and changing position in an SUV.

I like the look of black door handles, but prepare yourself for wiping off fingerprints...everyday!

I skipped the Sports Chrono. Appropriate in my 991 on the track but would never use it on the street in the Macan. And if you have remorse for not adding it, it can be added later at the same (or less) cost by your dealer. Just a button and software tune.

A last minute add for me was the storage system in the trunk. It has turned out to be one of my absolute favorite options. Very versatile and useful.

Last edited by BradB; 08-26-2017 at 09:18 AM.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:59 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

So after 6 hours of test driving and sitting in the different seats and looking at painted blades vs CF vs standard and reconfiguring and arguing over needed options and sitting and driving and reconfiguring and on and on. My wife and I finally came to a compromise.

It is nice to have friends that take the time to work with you like this. We took so many factors into consideration and some things I did not want initially we ended up with. I can't say the deal I got but I am more than happy and couldn't do much better on a 17 leftover which wasn't spec the way we wanted.

Two big points of contention were the Nav and the seats. I did not want the nav and my wife was on the fence over the 14 vs 18 way seats and red vs black. After driving my friends personal GTS for a long time and using it as a base of comparison which really helped, we decided on:

Rhodium Silver
Leather in Black
Trailer hitch without tow ball
PTV+
Steering wheel heating
Roof rails black
Ski bag
Seat Ventilation (Front)
Brusher Aluminum package in Black
Fire Extinguisher
Door handles in gloss black
nav module for PCM
Lane change assit
Park assist Front rear
LED headlights
Smoking package
Porsche connect Plus
Adaptive sport seats (18 way)
Voice control
Sport chrono package
Premium plus package

We were torn regarding the 18 way seats. They are still a PITA to get in and out of but the ride is so far superior. You don't have to climb up as high to get into them as the ones on my CGTS which had fixed side bolster and alcantara inserts so they weren't as bad and less of a ball buster. I have no doubt I will be second guessing myself in the winter when wearing big heavy coats but they just look and feel right especially in leather. I was all over the place in the 14 way seats, they have very little support and the feel changes significantly. Much more like any SUV IMO.

I lost out on the Nav. Wife said she wanted it so we got it along with the voice control and everything else. Most all of the 17's sitting on the lot were there because most everyone seems to want the nav for some reason and most did not have it.

Couldn't live without the leather. It makes everything look so much better. It matches the boxster so we went with it but decided against the red seats gauges, belts, deviated stitching etc, which we have in the boxster but you see this stuff when the top is down and as nice as it is I had to cut something to stay on budget. I spoke to my insurance broker and he said the LCA was worth the buy in for premium savings the adaptive cruise control wouldn't make much of a difference so I added the LCA although I won't use it much.

As far as the clock in the center goes it is only there if you get the sport chrono and or nav. The nav gives you the option of a compass but we stayed with the clock. Also you don't have the sport plus button without the sport chrono which is very nice and brings the RPMS to redline. I can see how these can do so well on the track. Might have to AX it once next year just for ***** and giggles. I have the sport chrono in the BGTS and I only drive it in that mode but it is a 6 speed which is different but figured why not. I keep my vehicles a long time usually and we plan to drive this one a lot.

We both agreed that we like the silver with as many black accents as possible. I really like the sport mirrors but not on the silver and preferred the black blades. I can always have my friend paint them later but I am thinking a simple silver GTS emblem on them would look good. I have a buddy who does graphics as well. So it was either eliminate all of the black or the contrasting black which matches the boxster.

I have to say after reading the most recent sales reports for Porsche I would have expected the place to be quiet but they were selling cars right and left and the stack of orders for new 6 speed GT3's was impressive.

I have another friend who dyno tunes all sorts of toys and he has done a number of these. Showed me mustang dyno charts for a safe 400hp and more but I am inclined to think it is fast enough and don't care to do anything else.

I don't think I overlooked anything we wanted but chime in if you think we did I have until the end of today to make changes.

They are also throwing in the rubber floor mats and trunk liner

BradB nice!!!
Old 08-26-2017, 01:38 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,622 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Anthony, nice spec and I'm pleased you took a liking to the 18-ways.

I notice no mention of 20" Spyder Wheels?

And you're going with the default stereo?

Originally Posted by BradB
A last minute add for me was the storage system in the trunk. It has turned out to be one of my absolute favorite options. Very versatile and useful.
I used to consider that system a must have until we transfered these velcro cargo blocks from a couple of VWs (in which they were standard.) I think these are way, way more functional than the over-German-engineered Cargo Management System. Of course, I've not played with the latter.
Old 08-27-2017, 10:57 AM
BradB
Drifting

Originally Posted by worf928

I used to consider that system a must have until we transfered these velcro cargo blocks from a couple of VWs (in which they were standard.) I think these are way, way more functional than the over-German-engineered Cargo Management System. Of course, I've not played with the latter.
Yes, I had the Velcro system in my Touareg TDI and loved it! I even kept my blocks and Monster Mat carpet when I gave the car back to VW. I tried it in the Macan but the carpet weave was finer and not as durable as the mat designed for the blocks so I can't use it. Shame, really. But no regrets with the cargo management system. It's impressive and typically German.
Old 08-27-2017, 07:42 PM
bobs95
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fire extinguisher

Originally Posted by cobalt
So after 6 hours of test driving and sitting in the different seats and looking at painted blades vs CF vs standard and reconfiguring and arguing over needed options and sitting and driving and reconfiguring and on and on. My wife and I finally came to a compromise.

It is nice to have friends that take the time to work with you like this. We took so many factors into consideration and some things I did not want initially we ended up with. I can't say the deal I got but I am more than happy and couldn't do much better on a 17 leftover which wasn't spec the way we wanted.

Two big points of contention were the Nav and the seats. I did not want the nav and my wife was on the fence over the 14 vs 18 way seats and red vs black. After driving my friends personal GTS for a long time and using it as a base of comparison which really helped, we decided on:

Rhodium Silver
Leather in Black
Trailer hitch without tow ball
PTV+
Steering wheel heating
Roof rails black
Ski bag
Seat Ventilation (Front)
Brusher Aluminum package in Black
Fire Extinguisher
Door handles in gloss black
nav module for PCM
Lane change assit
Park assist Front rear
LED headlights
Smoking package
Porsche connect Plus
Adaptive sport seats (18 way)
Voice control
Sport chrono package
Premium plus package

We were torn regarding the 18 way seats. They are still a PITA to get in and out of but the ride is so far superior. You don't have to climb up as high to get into them as the ones on my CGTS which had fixed side bolster and alcantara inserts so they weren't as bad and less of a ball buster. I have no doubt I will be second guessing myself in the winter when wearing big heavy coats but they just look and feel right especially in leather. I was all over the place in the 14 way seats, they have very little support and the feel changes significantly. Much more like any SUV IMO.

I lost out on the Nav. Wife said she wanted it so we got it along with the voice control and everything else. Most all of the 17's sitting on the lot were there because most everyone seems to want the nav for some reason and most did not have it.

Couldn't live without the leather. It makes everything look so much better. It matches the boxster so we went with it but decided against the red seats gauges, belts, deviated stitching etc, which we have in the boxster but you see this stuff when the top is down and as nice as it is I had to cut something to stay on budget. I spoke to my insurance broker and he said the LCA was worth the buy in for premium savings the adaptive cruise control wouldn't make much of a difference so I added the LCA although I won't use it much.

As far as the clock in the center goes it is only there if you get the sport chrono and or nav. The nav gives you the option of a compass but we stayed with the clock. Also you don't have the sport plus button without the sport chrono which is very nice and brings the RPMS to redline. I can see how these can do so well on the track. Might have to AX it once next year just for ***** and giggles. I have the sport chrono in the BGTS and I only drive it in that mode but it is a 6 speed which is different but figured why not. I keep my vehicles a long time usually and we plan to drive this one a lot.

We both agreed that we like the silver with as many black accents as possible. I really like the sport mirrors but not on the silver and preferred the black blades. I can always have my friend paint them later but I am thinking a simple silver GTS emblem on them would look good. I have a buddy who does graphics as well. So it was either eliminate all of the black or the contrasting black which matches the boxster.

I have to say after reading the most recent sales reports for Porsche I would have expected the place to be quiet but they were selling cars right and left and the stack of orders for new 6 speed GT3's was impressive.

I have another friend who dyno tunes all sorts of toys and he has done a number of these. Showed me mustang dyno charts for a safe 400hp and more but I am inclined to think it is fast enough and don't care to do anything else.

I don't think I overlooked anything we wanted but chime in if you think we did I have until the end of today to make changes.

They are also throwing in the rubber floor mats and trunk liner

BradB nice!!!
I'm researching Macan's for an eventual move from my current 997S to a Macan, and noticed a few build sheets listed here that include a fire extinguisher. Why order the fire extinguisher?
Old 08-27-2017, 08:03 PM
BradB
Drifting

Originally Posted by bobs95
I'm researching Macan's for an eventual move from my current 997S to a Macan, and noticed a few build sheets listed here that include a fire extinguisher. Why order the fire extinguisher?

Porsche sports cars offer an extinguisher as an option, it's mainly oriented towards cars that are used on the track. So it's available for all cars. Porsche never turns down a chance to earn a buck.

Quick Reply: last minute any advice.