Macan 2014-Current

right front hop of my 2017 porsche basic macan

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 10:47 AM
doggarnporsche
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turns out to be shake in chassis of my 2017 porsche basic macan

Hop/Shake is really a driver side rear wheel hub assembly and bearings of my 2017 porsche basic macan anybody else have this happen? Problem solved below see last post.

Last edited by doggarnporsche; 07-27-2017 at 10:34 PM. Reason: found real reason for hop/shake dealer found it
Old 07-23-2017, 10:55 AM
doggarnporsche
Intermediate

please move this to a Macan forum if there is one. I'm new here.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:02 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 219 Posts

Click the red triangle in the Lower Left of your original post and communicate directly with the mods
Old 07-23-2017, 11:15 AM
doggarnporsche
Intermediate

Default macan basic right front wheel hop

Just got my 2017 macan basic but I have an issue that is driving me crazy. This is my 3rd Porsche (2-911's first). I have a front suspension issue with the front shaking at 70 mph plus. I first found my right front tire out of round so replaced that with Michlin's help. I have the Latitude 235's on. The hop/shake felt as if it were a wheel balance issue. The alignment felt right, so I ruled that out. Now, I'm not so sure. I checked the balance after getting the new tire on and it balanced flat and no out of round at all. Anybody else have this issue?

I saw they have a recall on the position of the anti-sway bar position, but I'm waiting to get my car to the dealer to see if the alignment and this position of the roll bar are correct. I love the car otherwise even though it is a 252 hp car it is amazing how it handles and I have been getting 25 mph combined city and highway. That is because I haven't used my heavy foot helping when I do it is closing to epa numbers.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:32 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Moving.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:56 AM
Adk46
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 166 Posts

I think you'll get a better response if you elaborate on "hop", but my answer is "no".
Old 07-23-2017, 12:05 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by doggarnporsche
right front hop of my 2017 porsche basic macan anybody else have this happen?
You need to better explain what you mean by 'hop'.

Is it speed related? Does it increase/decrease with the speed of the vehicle? If so then it's likely a tire problem. It could, of course, be other things but tires would be my first suspect on a new vehicle. Other factors to consider are wheel bearings, axle half-shafts, transfer case, or possibly suspension or steering issues. None of which are likely on a new vehicle, but anything's possible given all the moving parts and potential for manufacturing defects. Unlikely, however.

Has anything happened, accident-wise, that would have damaged that wheel? Look for signs of scraping on the tire sidewalls (both inside and out) and on the rims.

Since it's new take it back to the dealer and have them figure it out.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:08 PM
doggarnporsche
Intermediate

please look at my other thread with details about my wheel hop front suspension issue I'm having, and delete this first attempt at trying to describe my problem.

Thanks
Old 07-23-2017, 12:20 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 137 Posts

It's a new vehicle, why isn't the dealer doing all this for you?
Old 07-23-2017, 12:28 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Merging the two threads.
Old 07-23-2017, 02:10 PM
doggarnporsche
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wkearney99
It's a new vehicle, why isn't the dealer doing all this for you?
Well, I'm doing that, but want to best explain what I found and compare anybody else that might have had a similar experience.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:28 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Is it speed sensitive? Happens while going straight? Turning? You are sure it's the right side? Have you switched wheels from right to left to see if you can isolate it further? Do you feel it in the steering wheel or chassis?

You need to narrow down the issue. This really seems like an easy one for the dealer.

And no, I've never heard of an issue like this before on a new Macan. Certainly possible, but it's not chronic.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:58 PM
doggarnporsche
Intermediate

Default problem solved and at the dealer another came in yesterday with the same problem

Originally Posted by wkearney99
You need to better explain what you mean by 'hop'.

Is it speed related? Does it increase/decrease with the speed of the vehicle? If so then it's likely a tire problem. It could, of course, be other things but tires would be my first suspect on a new vehicle. Other factors to consider are wheel bearings, axle half-shafts, transfer case, or possibly suspension or steering issues. None of which are likely on a new vehicle, but anything's possible given all the moving parts and potential for manufacturing defects. Unlikely, however.

Has anything happened, accident-wise, that would have damaged that wheel? Look for signs of scraping on the tire sidewalls (both inside and out) and on the rims.

Since it's new take it back to the dealer and have them figure it out.
Okay all, here is the reason for the Hop. Wheel Bearings. It seems the 2017 Macan Basic Sport Utility has an upgraded wheel bearings. Yesterday my dealer found the same issue on another one like mine. So, mystery solved. I have 7400 miles on my rig. So, hopefully this will make it easier to figure out. The hop was noticeable at 70 mph and wasn't at 45 to 65 or slower. It was felt mostly in your feet, and some in the steering wheel. As you pitch from one side to the other at speed it was felt more. I suspect it this continues in others like mine it will get the Big R.

Thanks for all the comments, I used everyone before I went to the dealer today.

Mike in Raleigh, NC
Old 07-25-2017, 01:11 AM
zekeman1
Intermediate

Please excuse my naivety, but what the hell is a "hop?" Is it the same as a bounce, as in a wheel being out of balance?
Z
Old 07-25-2017, 06:48 AM
doggarnporsche
Intermediate

Default Wheel hop or call it tire out of round. Problem solved bad wheel bearings

Originally Posted by zekeman1
Please excuse my naivety, but what the hell is a "hop?" Is it the same as a bounce, as in a wheel being out of balance?
Z
please see my other replies. My car and another just showed up at my dealership and we both have the same problem bad wheel bearings. More to follow when we dig into both cars. Hope this helps you better understand. Porsche has upgraded the wheel bearings on my 2017 Macan already.

Quick Reply: right front hop of my 2017 porsche basic macan