Sponsored by:

Macan EV: Long time Model Y owner quick review of the Macan

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2024, 02:58 PM
TurboIXXI
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by beye
@Arcanum why did you change your X3? Seems pretty obvious you are going to feel pain with your new Macan…
sorry for you, I hope I don't feel the same way. 🤞
I guess that depends, what car are you currently driving?
Old 10-03-2024, 03:05 PM
Ian A Fakeman
5th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Arcanum
Having picked up mine (a Turbo with RAS) this morning, and recognising I've driven limited miles on it, it handles like a 2 tonne SUV. Feels similar to the 6-year old X3 M40i I recently sold. Not the Macan's fault, there's only so much you can do to massage the weight.

Maybe I'll feel differently about it as I get some miles on the car, but currently it's quite boring, I don't like the AR HUD (too busy, and turning down the brightness has almost no effect) and there are a few rattles in it which are far more noticeable given how quiet it is.

I'm trying to make objective comparisons to the M40i, which is a car I missed as soon as I sold it because it never disappointed. It was a brilliant family and bike hauler all over Europe. Went to see some friends in Germany recently and I was steady at around 120-125mph on the Autobahn with the wife and kid completely oblivious to the speed. Similarly, I drove from Nice in the south of France to Cambridge in the UK this summer, in one day on my own. While exhausted after a 900-mile drive, and on a sugar high with all the Haribou's I ate, it was a great drive. The M40i had an excellent sound track to the engine (for an SUV), with handling comparable to the Macan (from what I can tell so far). The X3 also had more boot space.

And I'm definitely not comparing the Macan with my 992 GT3 and Cayman GTS 4.0. The only resemblance to those cars is that it has a Porsche badge and 4-wheels.

Trying to keep my mind open and hope I bond with it after some more miles.
I can relate. As soon as I traded in my X4M I missed it. I don't have my 4S yet but I've already come to grips with the fact that it won't be the same. But that's okay. I live in Minnesota. At least I'll never have to go to a gas station in the winter again.
The following users liked this post:
TurboIXXI (10-03-2024)
Old 10-03-2024, 04:05 PM
Arcanum
Track Day

Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by beye
@Arcanum why did you change your X3? Seems pretty obvious you are going to feel pain with your new Macan…
sorry for you, I hope I don't feel the same way. 🤞
Fair point. I just fancied something different after 6-years with the X3, and the few occasions I'd been given a Macan S/4S from the Porsche garage as a courtesy car, I quite enjoyed it. I'd been torn between a Macan GTS and the EV, and went the EV route to try something different and to get the latest in car systems (HUD, Infotainment, etc)

I live in Minnesota. At least I'll never have to go to a gas station in the winter again.

Ha! That's not a bad reason!
Old 10-04-2024, 09:09 PM
RyuBraska
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 56 Posts

I also test drove the Macan Turbo (and also the Taycan 4S) for the first time this morning at a Porsche event. I'm coming from a Model 3 (pre refresh) and 911 4GTS.

I really missed the one pedal driving. Have others also noticed that the accelerator is not as direct as Tesla? I did not try sport plus so maybe that's why (+ I was riding with other people I didn't know).

Other than that the Macan is obviously a much nicer ride and interior. I was also quite surprised with the Taycan. It's a lot sportier but less roomy.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do...
TC Cruising (Yesterday)
Old 10-04-2024, 10:17 PM
rescueswimmer
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RyuBraska
I also test drove the Macan Turbo (and also the Taycan 4S) for the first time this morning at a Porsche event. I'm coming from a Model 3 (pre refresh) and 911 4GTS.

I really missed the one pedal driving. Have others also noticed that the accelerator is not as direct as Tesla? I did not try sport plus so maybe that's why (+ I was riding with other people I didn't know).

Other than that the Macan is obviously a much nicer ride and interior. I was also quite surprised with the Taycan. It's a lot sportier but less roomy.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do...
We put both of them in sport and sport plus on the turbo, It made it more direct but its not the same as the way tesla's pedal is mapped. Also with the Turbo after a few seconds there is a noticeable point where it stops pulling hard. Unlike the Tesla that just keeps ripping along. But amazing machine. The wife and I were talking about it again today. I think she hit the nail on the head. Do you want an EV with ALL the tech software performance etc. Buy a Tesla. Do you want to step right into EV with no learning curve that drives just like the gas version with better performance, and you want a Porsche then you buy the Macan or Tycan.
The following 2 users liked this post by rescueswimmer:
Jeff Whitten (Yesterday), TC Cruising (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 09:17 AM
RyuBraska
Racer

Originally Posted by rescueswimmer
We put both of them in sport and sport plus on the turbo, It made it more direct but its not the same as the way tesla's pedal is mapped. Also with the Turbo after a few seconds there is a noticeable point where it stops pulling hard. Unlike the Tesla that just keeps ripping along. But amazing machine. The wife and I were talking about it again today. I think she hit the nail on the head. Do you want an EV with ALL the tech software performance etc. Buy a Tesla. Do you want to step right into EV with no learning curve that drives just like the gas version with better performance, and you want a Porsche then you buy the Macan or Tycan.
I think it's a good way to put it. This probably means I'll keep my Tesla for when I want all the tech and my 911 for when I want all Porsche has to offer.

Old Yesterday, 09:49 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,982 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Tesla makes an excellent EV and a mediocre car…
Porsche makes an excellent car and a mediocre EV
Tesla is as good at software as Porsche is at mechanical engineering
Porsche is as good at Software as Tesla is at build quality.

pick your focus.

the best EV is from Tesla - but it comes with compromises
the best car is from Porsche - but it comes with compromises (different set than Tesla)

Last edited by daveo4porsche; Yesterday at 09:50 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
Awas (Yesterday), Cars97 (Yesterday), Jeff Whitten (Yesterday), PSPJames (Yesterday), rescueswimmer (Today)
Old Yesterday, 09:51 AM
RyuBraska
Racer

Why can't we get the best of both combined in one car? 😅
Old Yesterday, 12:57 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by RyuBraska
Why can't we get the best of both combined in one car? 😅
Because neither company puts as much value in the other component. Porsche has always focused on the actual driving part of the equation, maybe at the expense of not hiring the best tech talent. The Porsche brand has never (and I hope will never) be about the tech. As my delivery date nears, I dread having to spend time learning how to operate the car on day 1. I prefer just being able to drive it.
When I took delivery of my 991.2 C4 in Stuttgart, the sales guy asked if I wanted a demonstration of the tech stuff. "No, just point me to the Autobahn".
The following 4 users liked this post by mb1:
Awas (Yesterday), Ian A Fakeman (Yesterday), Jeff Whitten (Yesterday), rescueswimmer (Today)
Old Yesterday, 03:03 PM
Ian A Fakeman
5th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
Tesla makes an excellent EV and a mediocre car…
Porsche makes an excellent car and a mediocre EV
Tesla is as good at software as Porsche is at mechanical engineering
Porsche is as good at Software as Tesla is at build quality.

pick your focus.

the best EV is from Tesla - but it comes with compromises
the best car is from Porsche - but it comes with compromises (different set than Tesla)
What makes Tesla's software great? The Macan will be my first EV. I figured that since it's a Porsche, it's probably great all-around, and I never thought of Tesla as a competitor.

​​​​​​​I'm genuinely curious about what Telsa's software does that Ford, Hyundai, Polestar, BMW, Rivian, Lucid, Porsche, et al. do not.
Old Yesterday, 05:18 PM
beye
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 85 Posts

Tesla software is updated very frequently and they add tons of new features, for free. Lots of them are useful, whereas others are quiet stupid.
it’s easy to reboot, and it’s smooth.
But, sometimes they change big things: car behavior is not the same, buttons and features disappear, new “old” bug appear again and again, UI is totally new and you have to re-learn to use it …
In the end, except for auto wipers (they never work since they opt out the rain sensors Years ago), it works smoothly.

For some reason (ghost breaks, you need to look at the screen to find the buttons, the need to re-learn UI at each big iteration of the software, erratic behavior…), my Tesla S never inspired the confidence I'd like to have... I'm very happy to change.
I don’t think Tesla software is the best now, but they are the best to push new firmwares at a high rate, really impressive.

Last edited by beye; Yesterday at 05:20 PM.
Awas (Yesterday)
Old Today, 12:33 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,982 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Originally Posted by Ian A Fakeman
What makes Tesla's software great? The Macan will be my first EV. I figured that since it's a Porsche, it's probably great all-around, and I never thought of Tesla as a competitor.

I'm genuinely curious about what Telsa's software does that Ford, Hyundai, Polestar, BMW, Rivian, Lucid, Porsche, et al. do not.
generally actually works, and gets updated reguarly - doesn't hang - doesn't crash - doesn't take forever to boot up - can be updated without a dealer visit take several days - has release notes telling you what is new - added new features that make things generally better - actually fixes bugs - and has a smooth and integrated user experience - none of the legacy auto guys do software as well as Tesla, Rivian or Lucid…

my Taycan los the ability to talk to the cellular network - required a reboot according to both phone customer support and local service guys - only way to reboot the LTE/Celluar modem was to find it buried deep int he vehicle and unplug it - wait 5 seconds and plug it back in - required 2 hours of dealer labor…after it was "fixed" it went offline again 3 days later - I never bothered again - and the car was never "online" again for access via the app…just _ONE_ of many example where Porsche's software SUCKS.

I used to love driving my Taycan with a blue skinny circle taking 5+ minutes for the PCM to wake up and never actually accomplish the goal - then park and come back in 20 minutes and it boots right up…what about push notifications that tell you your car is : alarming, unlocked, charged, unplugged - but doesn't actually contain the "name" of the vehicle so that you know which one of your Porsche's is actually responsible for the push notification?

phone as a key support - ya no!
join your home wifi network for software update - no - but it doesn't matter cause they don't do much over OTA - that requires a multi-day dealer visit
how about a release not telling you what the new software does?
how about having public software releases rather than having to get luck with a service manager that actually knows there is new software to fix a problem
have the software "hardened" against known exploits and participate in annual hack-a-thons to harden the system - rather than offering the best security available circa 2002 RTOS from a no-name embedded software platform than can't support IPv6 or SSL

the list is extensive and lacks any modern capabilities…

tesla's cloud software actually works as opposed to being "offline" most of the time - you're going to be severely disappointed by Porsche software - it's not their focus.

it's like comparing iOS 18 to Windows 95/DOS 3.1

Porsche's software skills are light years behind Tesla

but I love driving their cars - but there will come a time where the lack of software focus will hurt them and then will fade, and fade fast.

Last edited by daveo4porsche; Today at 12:46 AM.
Old Today, 01:11 AM
fubar.droid
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
generally actually works, and gets updated reguarly - doesn't hang - doesn't crash - doesn't take forever to boot up - can be updated without a dealer visit take several days - has release notes telling you what is new - added new features that make things generally better - actually fixes bugs - and has a smooth and integrated user experience - none of the legacy auto guys do software as well as Tesla, Rivian or Lucid…

my Taycan los the ability to talk to the cellular network - required a reboot according to both phone customer support and local service guys - only way to reboot the LTE/Celluar modem was to find it buried deep int he vehicle and unplug it - wait 5 seconds and plug it back in - required 2 hours of dealer labor…after it was "fixed" it went offline again 3 days later - I never bothered again - and the car was never "online" again for access via the app…just _ONE_ of many example where Porsche's software SUCKS.

I used to love driving my Taycan with a blue skinny circle taking 5+ minutes for the PCM to wake up and never actually accomplish the goal - then park and come back in 20 minutes and it boots right up…what about push notifications that tell you your car is : alarming, unlocked, charged, unplugged - but doesn't actually contain the "name" of the vehicle so that you know which one of your Porsche's is actually responsible for the push notification?

phone as a key support - ya no!
join your home wifi network for software update - no - but it doesn't matter cause they don't do much over OTA - that requires a multi-day dealer visit
how about a release not telling you what the new software does?
how about having public software releases rather than having to get luck with a service manager that actually knows there is new software to fix a problem
have the software "hardened" against known exploits and participate in annual hack-a-thons to harden the system - rather than offering the best security available circa 2002 RTOS from a no-name embedded software platform than can't support IPv6 or SSL

the list is extensive and lacks any modern capabilities…

tesla's cloud software actually works as opposed to being "offline" most of the time - you're going to be severely disappointed by Porsche software - it's not their focus.

it's like comparing iOS 18 to Windows 95/DOS 3.1

Porsche's software skills are light years behind Tesla

but I love driving their cars - but there will come a time where the lack of software focus will hurt them and then will fade, and fade fast.
Hope this new generation of EVs are better... so far the launch has been terrible though. I should have listened to my wife about buying a first generation car but I've been waiting so long for a BEV that looks good to me, Macan is the first.
Old Today, 09:56 AM
rescueswimmer
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ian A Fakeman

I'm genuinely curious about what Telsa's software does that Ford, Hyundai, Polestar, BMW, Rivian, Lucid, Porsche, et al. do not.
I would like to preface this I am not a Tesla Fan boy they do plenty wrong. I would say they are a great Car with average quality interior components and average to below average initial fit and finish. They should not be rolling out cars with misaligned panel gaps at this point in their game.

Like others have said. They are the first company I know of that is constantly evolving the car physically and via software while in production without really model year designations. Any way with software like they spoke before it is constantly being updated, the UI gets tweaked here and there they have been able to increase range slightly with tweaks to the motors and battery software. New features appear example when we got our car you would put on your turn signal and it would signal like any other car, Then Tesla added the use of the camera so know when you signal it uses the appropriate side camera to view any blind spots, then shortly after that we got blind spot notification in that camera. Lots of bug fixes. They listen to their customers, Someone asked about turning off the cars notifications to the rear speakers cause it would wake up their kid. Well an update came and they named it after the guy who suggested it, and you can now turn off the loud beeps in the back of the car. Lastly the phone app is superior to anything out there. You can for the most part do anything from it. Your car is parked someplace and you need to have it moved or someone needs to drive it. Unlock and start it from your phone they are good to go. Anything else you can think of you probably can do it from the phone. With simple UI menus etc.

I did read that Volkswagen group, did purchase a software company and hopefully that will help them along. From what I read on the Macan they switched over to Android based software that should make it much better than what the original Tycan shipped with. When playing with the Macans infotainment it is a little slow but nothing terrible I think is perfectly acceptable especially if they tweak it and make it smoother over time. . I'm just afraid it will be what is delivered on day 1 is what your going to end up with. Not sure how many performance OTA's the car will receive.

Software aside its still an amazing car.
Old Today, 10:13 AM
beye
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by rescueswimmer
(…) I'm just afraid it will be what is delivered on day 1 is what you’re going to end up with. Not sure how many performance OTA's the car will receive.
Software aside its still an amazing car.
That's what I'm looking for in a Porsche. I can't live with a car that changes its behavior without notice. CarPlay integration should be enough to get the missing functionality...

Quick Reply: Macan EV: Long time Model Y owner quick review of the Macan