Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Macan EV: My impressions driving Macan Turbo during Porsche on Track Day

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2024 | 07:04 PM
TomekGnomek
Track Day

Default My impressions driving Macan Turbo during Porsche on Track Day

Hi, I've just had an amazing day driving all different models - several 911s, Taycans, Panameras and Macans 4 Turbo.
It was during Porsche on Track Day at Porsche Experience Center in Poland (Silesia Ring to be exact).
I was told we were one of the first customers to drive this car and even Porsche staff haven't had much experience with it.
To add some context - I drive M340 and other fast sedans, considered M3 but... finally ordered Macan 4.
After today I'm sure I've made the right choice and here are some of my observations.

Seating position - absolutely perfect! Much better compared to prev Macan, you sit lower and TBH feels more like 911 than Taycan/Panamera.
It feels like the car encloses you like a small tank, doors and dashboard are quite high and it adds to this feeling I had it was actually better than Tycan.

Build quality - on pair with the newest Cayenne, much better than previous Macan. Like a lot!
The materials, seats, leather all feel much more premium and modern.

Driving on track - absolutely crazy how this car can keep up with all the others available during this day.
Handling is perfect, breaking is absolutely perfect (you don't feel the regen/metal switch at all), you can feel the rear motors.
However you can feel the weight I would say more than with Taycans and even the Cayene.
The car had only 21" wheels and I suspect it added to this feeling as other cars had much bigger wheels.
You feel the weight on tight corners, not when breaking and I don't think it would be an issue for daily spirited driving.

Driving off track - it's quiet and comfortable.
Some youtubers claimed the suspension is too stiff but I wouldn't say that (mind the 21" wheels).
It was way more comfortable and solid than M340/M3.
I didn't do any offroading but tried it on some bad road connecting parts of the track.
I would say it's is a perfect mix of comfort and sportiness.
Feels more like a crossover or a sedan than a typical SUV.
The SUV feeling was my biggest worry and this car does not feel like an SUV.

What else...
The car is bigger inside, you can sit quite comfortable behind a tall driver.
I was surprised the 21" wheels didn't look as good in person (the macan design on press photos).
I was surprised the other 21" wheels (the macan turbo) looked much better in person.
The car lasted 310-320 km of light track driving which really impressed everyone.
I will post some more videos later...

Last edited by TomekGnomek; 05-21-2024 at 07:54 AM.
The following 12 users liked this post by TomekGnomek:
beye (05-21-2024), daveo4porsche (05-20-2024), Draper (05-22-2024), fjpdds (05-31-2024), gloryrd (05-22-2024), Jeff Whitten (05-20-2024), JonoNZ (05-20-2024), mikeright (05-21-2024), Needsdecaf (05-20-2024), russdc (05-29-2024), TC Cruising (05-20-2024), tmrqs (05-21-2024) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-20-2024 | 07:14 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TomekGnomek
Hi, I've just had an amazing day driving all different models - several 911s, Taycans, Panameras and Macans 4 Turbo.
It was during Porsche on Track Day at Porsche Experience Center in Poland (Silesia Ring to be exact).
I was told we we one of the first customers to drive this car and even Porsche staff haven't had much experience with it.
To add some context - I drive M340 and other fast sedans, considered M3 but... finally ordered Macan 4.
After today I'm sure I've made the right choice and here are some of my observations.

Seating position - absolutely perfect! Much better compared to prev Macan, you sit lower and TBH feels more like 911 then Taycan/Panamera.
It feels like the car encloses you like a small tank, doors and dashboard are quite high and it adds to this feeling I had it was actually better than Tycan.

Build quality - on pair with the newest Cayenne, much better than previous Macan. Like a lot!

Driving on track - absolutely crazy how this car can keep up with all the others available during this day.
Handling is perfect, breaking is absolutely perfect (you don't feel the regen/metal swtich at all), you can feel the rear motors.
However you can feel the weight I would say more than with Taycans and even the Cayene.
The car had only 21" wheels and I suspect it added to this feeling as other cars had much bigger wheels.
You feel the weight on tight corners, not when breaking and I don't think it would be an issue for daily spirited driving.

Some youtubers claimed the suspension is too stiff but I wouldn't say that (mind the 21" wheels).
I didn't do any offroading but tried it on some bad road connecting parts of the track.

What else...
I was surprised the 21" wheels didn't look as good in person (the macan design on press photos).
I was surprised the other 21" wheels (the macan turbo) looked much better in person.
The car lasted 310-320 km of light track driving which really impressed everyone.
Fantastic, I bet it was a lot of fun! . If you managed to make 300 plus KM of track driving...it must have been VERY light.
The following users liked this post:
daveo4porsche (05-21-2024)
Old 05-20-2024 | 10:26 PM
Jeff Whitten
Rennlist Member

Great write up and thanks for sharing.
Old 05-20-2024 | 11:23 PM
sparkhill
Burning Brakes

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Are the wheels in your photos, the version that are less attractive in real life?
Old 05-20-2024 | 11:27 PM
TC Cruising
Racer

Thank you very much for your write up. Not that I had doubts before, but now even more it will be a Macan turbo on 22”’s ahead for me.

Every time I see this side view of the splitter, I am surprised how much it sticks out.

Last edited by TC Cruising; 05-21-2024 at 12:54 AM.
Old 05-21-2024 | 08:00 AM
TomekGnomek
Track Day

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Fantastic, I bet it was a lot of fun! . If you managed to make 300 plus KM of track driving...it must have been VERY light.
Yes it was light (different people without track experience) but still a good result I would say.
The car did laps all day by far exceeding anything you would do on a normal public road.
Old 05-21-2024 | 08:04 AM
TomekGnomek
Track Day

Here is a video I captured of this Macan 4 Turbo on 21" wheels doing a slalom:

You can see the the weight but overall it did very good and driving it like that felt very confident.
The following 5 users liked this post by TomekGnomek:
daveo4porsche (05-21-2024), mikeright (05-21-2024), seejaneworkit (05-22-2024), Silververtu (05-23-2024), TC Cruising (05-21-2024)
Old 05-21-2024 | 08:08 AM
TomekGnomek
Track Day

Originally Posted by sparkhill
Thanks for sharing your experiences. Are the wheels in your photos, the version that are less attractive in real life?
Yes. They look quite good on photos and videos including the ones I took but in real life I was disappointed.
The way red breaking clippers looked on this wheel felt not natural (most of the whell is black but not all and it looked strange).
Old 05-21-2024 | 09:45 AM
sparkhill
Burning Brakes

Yes. They look quite good on photos and videos including the ones I took but in real life I was disappointed.
The way red breaking clippers looked on this wheel felt not natural (most of the whell is black but not all and it looked strange).
Thank you for this perspective and for your great review.
Old 05-21-2024 | 09:47 AM
Awas
Instructor

Seating position - absolutely perfect! Much better compared to prev Macan, you sit lower and TBH feels more like 911 than Taycan/Panamera.
Did you get this feeling sitting at the lowest position in your seat, or did you lift up your seat?
Old 05-21-2024 | 10:10 AM
TomekGnomek
Track Day

Originally Posted by Awas
Did you get this feeling sitting at the lowest position in your seat, or did you lift up your seat?
I always adjust to the lowest position and this is the way I compared Macan to prev gen, 911 and Taycan.
The following 2 users liked this post by TomekGnomek:
Awas (05-21-2024), daveo4porsche (05-21-2024)
Old 05-21-2024 | 10:56 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

I was told we were one of the first customers to drive this car and even Porsche staff haven't had much experience with it.

Handling is perfect, breaking is absolutely perfect (you don't feel the regen/metal switch at all), you can feel the rear motors.

What else...

great write up - love the feedback and super jealous of you getting to this - wow - what a day!!!

looking forward to my Macan Turbo.
TC Cruising (05-21-2024)
Old 05-21-2024 | 11:11 AM
TC Cruising
Racer

IMO best part of your review Tomek:

Handling is perfect, breaking is absolutely perfect.

Thank you again.
Old 05-21-2024 | 06:12 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Holy cow, that is a lot of body roll!
Old 05-22-2024 | 11:09 AM
Draper
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by subshooter
Holy cow, that is a lot of body roll!
I thought the same. 😬

@TomekGnomek I presume you had PASM set to Sport+ but can you confirm?
Awas (05-22-2024)

Quick Reply: Macan EV: My impressions driving Macan Turbo during Porsche on Track Day