MIT Engineer looking for a job

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 10:33 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MIT Engineer looking for a job

Hi All,

I just now learned of this forum! I suppose that's what I get for lurking in the shadows...

This is a cross-post from the Member Classifieds:

I'm an engineer (mechanical and materials by trade) and am just now finishing my Masters in Materials Engineering from MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology). I received my Bachelors from the University of Arizona in Materials Science and Engineering, with minors in both Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering as well.

Anyway, as I'm sure y'all are aware, times are tough in the job market -- even for engineers. While I've got some options already available to me for a job, I thought I would ask the innumerable power of Rennlist, in hopes that someone out there is looking for an engineer.

Ideally, I'm searching for a job in race engineering or technical consulting, preferably on the East Cost (or thereabouts). I've worked for a few different race teams in the past, but only as internships and extra-curriculars while I was getting myself through school. I have a thorough knowledge of vehicle dynamics through suspension design and chassis setup and have been doing my best at expanding on my knowledge base by doing some racing myself. Before leaving for MIT for graduate school, I was actively involved in lower-level racing through PCA, SCCA, and NASA, as well as motocross and enduro off-road motorcycling.

I pride myself for being a "hands-on" engineer. Throughout undergrad and into grad school I have been involved in a number of design-build competitions, most notably Formula SAE. From the valuable internships with which I have participated, I have hands-on experience racing everything from production cars to Formula 1 cars. I am familiar with the structure and function of a race team. At MIT, I also got myself involved in a partnership between MIT's Electric Vehicle Team and BMW to build an electric racebike based off of their 1000RR for the Isle of Man TT Zero.

The group I work for here at MIT is Materials Systems Laboratory, which is essentially an academically-based consulting firm that specializes in the automotive industry. My thesis involves consulting with GM on ideal induction motor design for the Chevy Volt.

Anyway, this was a far longer post than I had originally intended to write. I'd be happy to supply a resume and/or cover letter if so desired.

If you know someone who might be interested in hiring an eager, passionate, hard-working, and quick-learning engineer, please shoot me a PM! I have a very broad range of interests, and as such I would love to hear from you, even if you are not explicitly in the fields I mentioned above.

Thank you very much for taking the time.

Best Regards,
Collin Mechler
Old 06-28-2010, 10:44 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Bose Corporation has a very high % of MIT graduates (since Dr. Bose was an MIT professor).

A123 is another MIT spinoff, which is actively hiring.

Have you looked at these companies?
Old 06-30-2010, 11:45 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Great suggestions. Speaking of A123, Yet-Ming Chiang and I are fairly close (about as close as one can get with the man); he's a very excited sponsor of our electric racebike project with BMW. Really nice guy.

I hadn't thought of Bose -- I'll give them a look, thanks.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:18 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ever considered DoD govt. or DoD contractor?

And plenty of work there especially on the east coast and DC/MD/VA

Trade race cars for jet fighters.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:29 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Good luck Collin. It is too bad the economy stinks right now.

MIT '96 BSME.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:17 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Hey y'all,

Thanks very much for the kind wishes and helpful comments. I'm pleased to say that I finally have a job! It took a while, but fortunately I ended up having two nice offers to choose from.

I'll be moving back to Boston next week to take a job doing technical consulting at Accenture. I'm hoping to get a lot of solid experiences, as well as racking up a lot of frequent flyer miles in the process. Even better, I will be taking ze Porsche with me.

If you're in the Boston area, give me a ring.

Again, thanks y'all.

Quick Reply: MIT Engineer looking for a job