Notices

CA (USA) to Italy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2023, 10:03 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 132 Posts
Default CA (USA) to Italy?

I have seen some threads about importing cars from The EU but nothing about taking my 92 964 to Italy. I am going to be spending more time in The EU (UK/Italy/Austria) and would like to drive the roads there, being a major improvement over LA traffic. Was also thinking of driving the USA to the east coast and shipping from there, more for fun than to save money. Flexible also as to where in Europe I ship to, can pick up at any port and drive from there. I am a US citizen and hope to register the car in Italy, our final destination; would do so as a retiree, pleasure only etc. Pretty sure I get a year in Italy on CA plates but the rules change weekly (thank you Brexit), I have a UK driving license which has just last month been allowed to transfer to Italian, no further test needed.

There are some nice cars over there and I could easily sell mine here and buy there, perhaps with money left over but mine is pretty rare and I just rebuilt the engine, so sweet, so familiar. I trust it to go 1000s of KMs without a hitch and having gotten it to this level, not really looking to do it all over again with a Euro car.

I am not opposed to a RoRo although I have seen cars badly damaged from being too tightly lashed down and seeing that more cars come here than go there, might be some empty spaces. Will also be taking some antiques back with us, wonder if a container can be split so 1/2 car and 1/2 furniture? Getting really eccentric with that last ask.

Any input welcomed and thank you all in advance.
Old 02-14-2023, 03:01 PM
911my22
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by misterbeverlyhills
I am a US citizen and hope to register the car in Italy, our final destination... Pretty sure I get a year in Italy on CA plates…Any input welcomed and thank you all in advance.
keep the CA plate as long as you can. You’ll avoid speed tickets (autovelox) and limited traffic zones tickets

enjoy your stay in Italy

Quick Reply: CA (USA) to Italy?